Navigating Social Situations on Low Carb: Holiday Survival Guide

food

(Bunny) #1

1. Know Your Triggers

Knowing yourself and the situations you find most difficult to manage will help you better plan ahead and stay the course when they arise. The following are some common challenges you could run into: https://blog.virtahealth.com/navigating-social-situations-low-carb/

(Troy) #2

Triggers?
#familyšŸ˜„

(Running from stupidity) #3

ā€œIā€™m enjoying my better health, and my obvious weight loss. Take your poison away from me!ā€

Does anyone else think that itā€™s rude to push food on to people? Even before I chose this lifestyle, I always found it rude when people come peer over my shoulder asking ā€œwhat are you eating? why are you eating this?ā€

We donā€™t walk around peering over peopleā€™s shoulders and asking them ā€œwhy are you eating this carbage?ā€

Sorry! Ranting here before I throw my boiling broth over my shoulder at this person at work behind me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Good question.

I feel people should eat what they want. It is not my job to monitor them. Even my TD2 husband does not get me doing that. He is responsible for his health, as I am for mine. The only thing I told him was his dr. set too low a bar for his A1C, while dr. might love seeing him at 6. Iā€™d like him to be at 5.5. But I refuse to nag him, even if I fear I will lose him earlier due to his TD2. He has slowly just watched me change what I am eating and has done enough modifications to stay at 6. He has on his own given up many things he never gave a second thought to putting into his mouth. I can only set an example and get him to slowly modify more til that number goes down further.

If I wonā€™t nag the one person that means the most to me on earth, why would I try to do it with others? Makes no sense to me at all.

(Bunny) #6

Me myself I eat what I want on :turkey: T-Day because, I have built up my health reserve to allow it, but there are some people who want to maintain what they are working hard to do, so it is just a matter of personal preference!

(John) #7

Iā€™m safe. Just me and my wife doing Thanksgiving at home and I will have plenty of keto-friendly options there.

No other social situations expected.

(Vladaar Malane) #8

Last year, I got the comment about why did I work so hard if your not going to eat any of this.

Iā€™ve made it clear to my wife what Iā€™m eating and not eating this year.

Communication saves heartache after the fact.

(the cheater) #9

Not that I celebrate holidays, but Thanksgiving just happens to land on my cheat day this week, so it all works out. I donā€™t eat socially that much with people so when I do, I can make that my cheat and just eat whatever. No fuss no muss.

That said, if you DONā€™T cheat and constantly eat around family/socially, then you should be a pro at responding - even during t-day :wink:

(Laurie) #10

Great article! Although I do disagree with the part about communicating your needs to the host. Thatā€™s just inviting an argument. Or the person might try to comply, but not understand in some way.

Better to offer to bring a big dish of XXX to share with everyone. If the host says ā€œBut Iā€™m already making YYY,ā€ you can say, ā€œThere are so many things I canā€™t eat, I just want to be on the safe side.ā€

I know a young woman who has a serious medical condition. I knew that she had some food restrictions, and I asked her what she couldnā€™t eat. She thought about it and said ā€œEverything.ā€ Great answer!

(Julie ) #11

Really liked the article, and much of it I have been doing in one way or another for years. Even before Keto. I pre-plan and cook what i would like for T-day so as not to have to worry. Knowing my DHā€™s mom will be fixing a lot of items for him and his kids to eat at our house. I am lucky as she understands what I am doing.