Nausea with fasting....does this happen to you?

(Trudy) #1

Hi community, I am now maintenance but have found this has reduced my ability to fast. I have done the occasional accidental 36hr fasts and usually have a eating period between 12pm and 8pm. I can say that a 36hr fast would now be impossible and I’m experiencing some nausea around 10am. Mild hunger I can manage but I feel I may need to have a meal earlier in the day. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. BTW, I don’t count anything, I know I’m in ketosis without testing, BMI 23 so not too thin.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

Cant say I’ve ever experienced nausea with fasting.
My longest fast has been just shy of 4 days and I broke it because I mentally wanted food. Not because I felt ill. I’ll only ever experience a slight headache.

(Carl Keller) #3

Not sure why you would want to do any EF if you are in maintenance. EF works best when we have body fat to spare for fuel. If you don’t have much fat, your body is going to do its best to encourage you to eat.

I’m guessing the nausea is either from hunger or electrolyte imbalance. Make sure you’re getting enough salt and water.

(Trudy) #4

I guess fasting was just one of the benefits of Keto. If I was busy or no Keto food available I would just fast. It is no big inconvenience to go back to three meals a day but I did love not having to think about food all the time.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

Before keto I would feel nauseated if I delayed breakfast.

(Carl Keller) #6

I don’t think there is any animal on this planet, that has access to nutrient dense foods, that requires three meals per day to be healthy. If you can eat once or twice per day and fulfill your needs, then leave it at that.

(Pri ) #7

Have you changed your multivitamins or any other medication then before you used to fast. Some medications cause nausea empty stomach.

(Trudy) #8

No medications or multivitamins, have been relaxed Keto for 12 months and lost almost 50kg but weight stable now. This may pass, I just thought I would check in with others. Thanks for the suggestions.