NADH Suplement

(Harry) #1

I came across this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22524/ on another post.

My question is since NADH inhibits gluconeogenesis , should I load up on NADH suplement? Or whether I should load up on NAD+ and exercise a lot which will get converted to NADH

regards

Harry

(Allie) #2

Gluconeogenesis is an essential process without which we would all die as there are parts of the brain that can ONLY function on glucose. Why would you want to mess with that?

(Bunny) #3

ATP is the electrical current in the mitochondria with billions of tiny rotary motors (proton pumps)!

Gradients (ATP Synthases)

NAD+ [HD Animation]

Glycerol-Phosphate Shuttle | NADH, Electron Transport Chain and ATP Yield: Lesson on the Glycerol Phosphate (aka Glycerol-3-Phosphate) Shuttle. NADH produced from glycolysis is unable to enter into the mitochondria because the mitochondrial inner membrane is impermeable and highly selective. Therefore, the cell has to “smuggle” in the protons and electrons from the cytosolic NADH into the electron transport chain, and the cell does this by using the glycerol-phosphate shuttle system.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The article also points out that NADH inhibits not only gluconeogenesis, but also fatty acid oxidation. So there goes your fat-adaptation!

(Running from stupidity) #5

But otherwise good, yeah?

(Harry) #6

lol true :slight_smile:

(Harry) #7

I was googling and it seems a lot more people take NADH supplements than NAD+ . I wonder why.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

We’ve all been trained by the pharmaceutical industry to think that we can’t possibly be doing anything for our health unless we buy a product. Eating healthy real food, no matter how it improves our health, just doesn’t count, lol!

(Bunny) #9

Why buy pills (wasting your money?) when you can do the same thing with brewers yeast (non-fortified) to boost the NAD+ redox potential[6] while in ketosis and that your already getting from being in ketosis?

Footnotes:

[1] “… NADH is ‘Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide,’ a coenzyme made from vitamin B2, or niacin. It’s a coenzyme present in all living cells and serves an important role in helping enzymes to function as they should. An enzyme is a protein that works as a catalyst to generate chemical changes in other substances, such as breaking down food into energy. NADH stimulates the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is a compound that regulates the release of energy stored in cells. The more NADH a cell has, the more chemical energy it produces. Increased concentrations of NADH in the brain may even boost the production of neurotransmitters so vital to sound mental function. ”…For each cell, if you separate the two strands of DNA, you will discover a connecting link, a ‘phosphorylation’ or ‘fizz of light’ (Hadit) that is the connecting current of the two strands. …” “…Remember that DNA is but a protein and it is this light or phosphorylation that regulates its activity by attaching it to a phosphate group, such as ATP, which causes a structural change in the protein to enable it to bind or release itself to or from some other molecule. This is important when considering the cell’s need for oxygen. The cell is either reduced or negatively charged (reduction), being in need of oxygen or it is oxidized and positively charged (oxidation). A unit with two cells, one in each of these two states is called an electrochemical half-cell. Together, they will seek a state of electro-chemical equilibrium relative to at least one common intermediate half-cell, giving us a voltage. …More

[2] “…1. The results of the present study demonstrate that stimulation of gluconeogenesis by glucagon depends on Ca2+. However, Ca2+ is only effective in helping gluconeogenesis stimulation by glucagon at highly negative redox potentials of the cytosolic NAD(+)-NADH system. The triple interdependence of glucagon-Ca(2+)-NAD(+)-NADH redox potential reveals highly complex interrelations that can only be partially understood at the present stage of knowledge. …” …More

[3] ”…mitochondria in muscles of elderly mice were restored to a youthful state after just a week of injections with NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide), a molecule that naturally occurs in cells and, like NR, boosts levels of NAD. …” …More

[4] “…Adequate levels of NAD are critical to moving energy around our body, from our food to our mitochondria. Is it the ketones or NAD+ that is really doing the good stuff? A smart friend of mine, Robert Miller, has been challenging my thinking recently around ketones. Robert’s theory is that the benefits that people attribute to ketones are actually largely due to an increase in nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)…” …More

[5] Brewer’s yeast is a good source for a host of B vitamins, and while Saccharomyces cerevisiae in brewer’s yeast is typically deactivated (heat-killed), the availability of nicotinamide riboside produced by the yeast will be present in the brewer’s yeast. This reality was confirmed in a 1991 study by researchers from the University of Tasmania as they found brewer’s yeast not only contained nicotinamide riboside, but also improved cholesterol levels among mice. They also found that the nicotinamide riboside supplementation significantly increases SIRT1 and SIRT3 availability. …” “…They also found the supplemented mice had significantly more endurance and exercise capacity. The supplemented mice also had higher metabolism and were less prone to gain weight even on a high-fat diet. The supplemented mice also had 48% lower triglyceride levels than the control mice. …” …More

[6] Glucose, ketones and free fatty acids all inhibit glucagon release. Glucagon turns off glycolysis in the liver, causing glycolytic intermediates to be shuttled to gluconeogenesis. Amino acids stimulate glucagon release and uptake into the liver, covalent phosphorylation or Redox Formula: NADH + (1/2)O2+ H+ ==>NAD+ + H2O = redox potential) initiated by glucagon activates the former and inhibits the latter.

(Harry) #10

Thanks guys, I agree no point in taking supplements. :slight_smile: