N00b Faster

I completed my first fat adapted IF yesterday! I could not believe how long I was able to go without a single hunger pain. I ate around hour 19, not due to hunger but due to the urge to eat something. Because it was a poor food choice (SF ice cream) my tummy was MAD at me.
So my question is, how can I get past these darn urges that are not even remotely hunger related and what are some simple things to eat/drink when breaking the fast?
Thanks! I’m hoping to go again tomorrow, but last until Friday AM.

(Linda) #2

I put a bit of Celtic salt on my tongue and let it dissolve. Works every time!

(Louise ) #3

On the latest podcast, @carl mentions how salt on his tongue helped him quell his hunger. Sounds like a great, cheap and easy tip to try.

I did the salt thing. It was glorious! It just didn’t satisfy the urge to eat. I wasnt hungry, i just wanted to eat.

I just broke a 114 hour fast. What works for me is pickle juice. Every time :smiley:

Joanna, that’s how I am with snacking and I’m working on it (after the June Zornfast I’m aiming for no more snacking!).

I think you can do the salt thing - or drink a glass of water - and then and go do something else - anything that keeps you busy and distracted. But another way to look at it is that your urge to eat is a way to avoid too big a change at once, so maybe now that you’ve done your first IF - congratulations! - the next step is to do keep doing 18hr fasts a few times a week until it starts to feel so normal that you’re ready to tackle a slightly longer one.

(Dany Bolduc) #7

I do ¼ teaspoon salt melted on the tongue, washed down with a tall glass of water.

I repeat every 15 minutes until it passes.

I rarely have to repeat at all, but if I’ve been particularly neglecting water/salt intake, I might have to.

I try to keep busy doing something away from the kitchen during normal meal times. There is an internal clock that tells your body it’s “time to eat” out of habit. Once I make it through the danger zone, I don’t want to eat if I’m not actually hungry.

Also, I’m going to try to break my meal routine so the body doesn’t know when to expect its next meal during my next fast.

Gotta try the pickle juice!