My weight stalled

(Dut) #1

I was wondering why my weight have stalled for last 10 days. I’m 5’5 276lb. Weighed 301 on Jan 1st. I have been having alot of energy and not hungry as much. Doing 18 6 IF with keto

(Graham Muir) #2

Calories could be a big factor. Theres a keto calculator on the net that helps calculate macros and calorie intake.

10 days isn’t long enough to be a “stall.” You’re not going to lose weight every single day, or even week. Your body is adjusting, give it some time.

(Michelle) #4

:point_up_2:t3:This. Just keep doing what you’re doing.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #5

Amy Berger http://www.tuitnutrition.com/ says that if it is less than 8 weeks it is not a stall. I have gone for periods of several months in a stall. Give your body time to heal.

(Jill F.) #6

Everytime my weight loss stalls I crack out clothes or tape measure. I often lose clothing size or inches when scale doesnt move. I also add some cardio, nothing heavy just 30 minutes a few days a week of exercise bike then the scale starts to move again.

The experts say it is not a stall unless it’s been 4 (or more) weeks.

The fat loss curve is jiggly not a straight line.

You may have hidden carbs. They’ll be hiding in plain site, some food you think is OK but is not. May have pushed you over 20g. We all say, no way, not me … well it happens more than people realise. Phinney says hidden carbs are the most common issue.

I would triple check all food intake. If you have a blood analyser (or even pee stix) see if you’re at zero. I had no obvious signs of being kicked out of keto. I thought my analyser must’ve been broken. I gained 2lbs that week that was another hint.

Otherwise hang in there for another week or two.

Cheers

(Dut) #8

No hidden carbs I’ve been eating same thing everyday

(Bob M) #9

The exact same thing every day for 10+ days? Really? Why?

Personally, I eat radically different every day. Sometimes, my “blunches” (don’t eat breakfast) will be similar, but every day is different. Oh, and some days I don’t eat at all.

(Dut) #10

Cuz it seemed to be working. Not anymore lol

(Frank) #11

This could very well be the problem. Doing the same thing every day seems to stall progress in my experience. Try to shake it up every day. Omad, 2mad, 3mad, EF, IF, exercise, no exercise, dessert, no dessert, eat different foods and different amounts, stuff yourself when you normally wouldn’t , fast when you normally wouldn’t, etc etc etc.

Fair enough.

This may not apply to you but I also was having the same thing every day except it must’ve been so marginal I got away with it for a while. I was thinking hey I can just about do whatever…then to my surprise suddenly certain things started to matter.

Now I feel the need to track carbs with razor precision.

If you are fighting and infection that can have an impact on Keytone production

I am super depressed. Harsh winter weather is keeping me from walking as much as I usually do, and my weight has stalled. For a few days I tried just climbing steps inside the house, but that was even more depressing! I like to be outside breathing fresh air.
And my weight has been stuck at about 200 since Xmas. I ate some mashed potatoes (no gravy because of wheat) and 3 bites of apple pie. Next day, I was ravenous and it was so hard to control! So I ate some buttered popcorn. eeegads! Then New Years Eve came and we went to a party…ate some nachos… and on Jan 2nd got strictly back onto my regular pre-binge diet, logged it all onto MFP. I didn’t even weigh myself for 2 weeks, and was not too surprised to see no weight lost. But now it is 3 weeks later and STILL it has not budged.
Don’t some people do a “binge” day and then it “jogs” their body back into ketosis? Where did I read that?

(Robert C) #14

I think what you may have read is that sometimes a binge day will restart weight loss when someone is on a plateau (I cannot imagine a binge day would get you back into ketosis right away).

Basically a kick to an otherwise maybe slowing down system. When you eat more calories your body will raise your metabolism (because your body is pretty much always trying to maintain the same weight). Metabolism goes up and increased need for calories for a while after just the binge calories have passed and maybe fat burning increases for a while.

It makes sense in terms of using keto to lose weight - have too many calories 3 days a week (to keep your metabolism up) and then IF or lower calories 4 days a week to try to force your body to go after fat stores. (If you lower calories every day - back to slow metabolism).

If you are fat-adapted, you can get to those fat stores sooner and easier so more time at the higher metablolism.

If you are not fat-adapted, it might backfire on you. Body seeks extra calories after the binge but has trouble getting them from your body so, slows metabolism down and makes you hungry.

I don’t know if I am fat adapted or not. I usually eat only 2 meals a day, coffee with Perfect Keto collagen & grass fed butter. 1st meal is green veggies (kale, bok choy, brocc) 4-5 mushrooms, with a smidge of onions-red pepper, ginger, black pepper, with a side of 2 eggs. 2nd meal is more variance but always contains green veggies, maybe just with a hunk of cheese, sometimes I do cream cheese on keto flatbread (almond/coconut flour/eggs 1/16th inch thick & grilled) with some bacon. I am putting all my foods into an app and generally 20-30 carbs before fiber is deducted. Once in awhile as for Xmas and New Years I have gone off…but seriously cannot understand why I am stuck at around 200 lb. There is no gym near me, but I walk over an hour a day, with 2 large breed dogs, and otherwise am not sitting down at a desk–am in occupation which requires me to stand and move my arms.

(Dut) #16

Maybe try cutting out the cheese and add more protein

(Robert C) #17

A test to see if you are fat-adapted might be to fast for a day (not 24 hours but, a whole day of not eating).
For example, eat dinner Monday and nothing until breakfast Wednesday.

• If you are fat-adapted, it will be a little difficult if it is your first time but not too bad.
  • If you are not fat-adapted and your body is perceiving this 16:8 fasting as daily calorie restriction - alarm bells will go off in your body around your normal feeding window and you’ll crack (or not crack only with extreme exertion).

Nothing exact about this but it will likely let you know where you sit at the next morning’s breakfast.

Check out other things in your life for non-weight-loss - sleep issues (or just lack of sleep), stress, any non-whole foods and over-exercise (a stressor) are all culprits.
Think about anything that has changed - did you get bad news from a relative over the holidays, did you move from a 10-minute dog walk suddenly up to an hour - anything.

Am a little scared of the fasting…might fall over at work… but will try it, perhaps when my schedule allows. The dog walks are spread throughout the day, some 20-30 mins but others 10 mins, it is extreme cold (minus 30 F wind chill) & snow over my knees here, similar to walking in sand. Actually jogging with the younger dog.

Perhaps that Perfect Keto collagen is the culprit…as it has Stevia listed on the ingredients? Hmmm.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #19

According to Dr Fung, some artificial sweeteners cause a release of insulin for some people. Stevia might be the cause. Also what is the calorie load for the collagen? Maybe move that to lunch.

From the label on canister–
Perfect Keto “Keto Collagen Chocolate” Keto friendly protein source 12 oz canister
Supplement Facts: serving size 1 scoop (approx 17 gm) 20 servings per container
Calories 80
Calories from fat 40
(Snip)
Carbohydrates 1 gm
Fiber <1 gm
Protein 10 gm
(Snip over the vitamins/minerals)
MCT 5,000 mg
Hydrolysed Collagen Powder 10,000 mg

I do not use a whole scoop in a day-- that is for sure since a canister lasts about 6 weeks, not 20 days! So I am getting less than 40 calories a day from this.

However the ingredients besides the MCT and Collagen are: Acacia Fiber, Cocoa powder, Stevia Leaf Extract

Maybe I will go a few weeks without this product to see if weight loss gets back in gear!