My way around speedy meals....pre-prep

(Bob) #1

So when I started my Keto life one thing I wanted to make sure was that I was never without a Keto option to eat. So with my wonderful and supportive family we spent a weekend experimenting with many recipes from a great Keto cookbook.

So my wife, son, daughter and I had a great time cooking many recipes over a couple of weekneds and now I have about 2-3 months worth of dinners in my new stand up freezer. All portioned out in containers and labeled with number of servings including the macro’s of each serving.

Yea I get the fact that fresh from the oven/pan does have its benefits but with our crazy schedules cooking meals in real time doesn’t work, especially my cooking is well…lets not go there. Also the side benefit is the kids love the food so when my wife is on nights I get to serve great Keto meals and share with the kids. I also travel frequently so I pack up some containers in a cooler to have a Keto option in the hotel if I am not out eating.

(Laurie) #2

Thank you! There’s so much that’s great about your post.

(Jane) #3

Wonderful idea!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

We pre-cook in bulk and shrink wrap. No macros for us. We are not counting. Ground beef, ground turkey, steaks sliced and frozen, slow cooked pull pork (smoked) and so much more. It is helpful having something to grab.

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #5

What a great idea. What are your favorite meals so far to pre-prep and pre-cook?

My pantry list is mostly geared around lazy microwave recipes. Quick and easy.

I also do cheap and easy keto meal preps based on the proteins that are on sale in a given week.

(Bob) #7

They are mostly Casserole type meals, very filling and satisfying. They are also complex so you get that sense of a nice full meal. Having steak or some simple chicken type meal can be easily made on the spot and enjoyed. Its when you can mix in some restaurant type prepared meals as well, it makes the variety very enjoyable and removes the sense of restriction in your daily dietary options.

I’m with you on that. Though, I will argue that making casseroles are not ‘complex’. my go-to easy meal is tuna casserole-about 4 ingredients, but a comfy, warm meal in 20 minutes start to finish.

(Bob) #9

Yea agreed, the context of my use of "complex’ however was more in relation to how I manged “Low Carb” in the past.

Meat/eggs/cheese…so steak on its own, eggs on their own and a hunk of cheese for filler or snack.

Wonder why that was not sustainable??? :thinking:

Also the meals go far beyond just casseroles but I think you get the drift.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #10

This is a good idea. I had been cooking for the week on weekends, but when I get busy or go away for the weekend, I end up in scramble mode. That is not good when you’re following an eating plan.

(Chris) #11

There’s something to be said about meal prep like that. You’ve knocked it out of the park! I say this as a fellow-prepper.

My meal prep is not nearly as far-reaching, but I usually do a Sunday cook for all of my weekday meals since I work away from home. It’s real simple. I buy about 15lbs of ground beef and pan fry it, then plop it into large tupperwares to eat for the week. If I get hungry above and beyond that, I’ll have a dozen eggs as a side dish to dinner. Weekends I go for fresh steaks, though.

(traci simpson) #12

I try to do the same thing on Sundays. I’m running out of room in my freezer!