My Vietnam War Diet

Hey y’all, first time poster here who has been lurking, reading and fasting. Tons of comments, stories and questions to spill here but that will come in subsequent posts.

But before the war stories and dietetic horrors of being a Marine grunt in Vietnam …

I am a white male, 68, slightly obese, currently packing 225 robust pounds (down from 255) on a wide 5-7 frame. As a non-diabetic but no doubt highly insulin resistant and probably pre-diabetic, my last vitals had my BP at 113/75, average morning blood glucose 95-102 (more on that later), and A1C over the last two years ranging from a low of 5.6 up to 5.8. Last reading about 2.5 months ago was at 5.7. I have bradycardia with a resting heart rate of 48-54. Still, I suffer with mild “idiopathic” peripheral neuropathy – better known as a fat guy’s idiotic path to warding off diabetes.

I herald from the Cajun country of southern Louisiana where food is king. Also, I’m a retired newspaper editor of 37 years so I’ll try to keep my stories tight and interesting.

I will also break up these segments so I don’t lose the posts and have to re-type them.

Please read on.

(These thoughts and memories come following reading Dr. Fung’s The Obesity Code and his companion work the The Complete Guide to Fasting. I feel compelled to share them with you.)

I graduated from high school in 1968 at a stocky 179 pounds at 5-foot-7. Quite the stout and strong football linebacker, and being patriotic beyond all sense, I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Checking into boot camp in San Diego, I again weighed in at a proud 179. Stepping off the balance scale, my Drill Instructor proceeded to call me a world of vulgar names, the kindest of which was “f-in’ fat body” and promptly put me among the “hogs” who obviously were not as svelte as the other recruits.

Now, my beloved USMC was far ahead of the times when it came to dieting, truly so. The now newly minted, old and failed adage of Eat Less, Move More was taken to an extreme. But with an old twist – yes, three meals but NO snacks, NO starches at all, NO sugar at all, only water and milk allowed to drink. We were allowed just about all the meat, eggs and green veggies you could want. Before sitting down to each meal our DIs would inspect our plates for no-no foods and would eye-ball us during the meal to make sure the skinnies didn’t off-load their unwanted carbs into our welcome plates. And the DIs would inspect our trays afterward to ensure we ate our food and that there were no traces of carbs we might have sneaked. They were serious about our diets. Real serious.

God Bless the Marine Corps, their dieting tactics were a success. Oh, the Move More portion? It, too, was successful. When we were not running, we were marching, or running or doing physical training, or running, or marching, or running — and then we got a full 8 hours of sleep. And believe me, we had no sleep problems – even though I’m sure our cortisol was highly elevated.

It all paid off. Eight weeks later, I graduated boot camp a full-fledged, 152-pound Marine. I had dieted and worked off 27 pounds of baby fat from my 18-year-old body. I was a “lean, mean, fighting Marine.” But a funny thing happened. As we continued our advanced infantry training for Vietnam over the next three months, our regimen remained rigorous but our diets were no longer fiercely monitored. I was able to eat, and enjoy once again, breads and cakes and cokes and, yes, potatoes! Despite the rigors, my weight inched up to about 160 pounds. The only change was my diet.

Eventually, I went home on 20-days leave before going to Vietnam. My mom, of course, pitied my new pathetic frame and fed me nearly three weeks of good ol’ gumbo, etoufee, rice and gravy, ham sandwiches, mashed potatoes and, well, you get the idea. My friends bought me beers, I came in late and I slept even later each morning. The week before I was going back for processing overseas, I managed to get all of two good runs in. I kinda had an inkling then that I had fallen out of shape and dared not weigh-in before I left. Now, I was getting out of shape but still worlds more fit than my 179-pound days. I was probably only 165. Still. I was not prepared for Vietnam.

Please read on.

I arrived in the Republic of South Vietnam in the first week of March in 1969, just two weeks shy of my 19th birthday. Hovering around 160 pounds, I was still not ready for what faced me. Keep in mind that my MOS (military occupation specialty) was 0311 – infantry, rifleman. A ground-pounder; I was a grunt. I was handed an M-16 and about 75 pounds of assorted gear, put on a big truck and shipped to the front. I stayed on the front lines until August – seven long months before I would see the rear again.

Now, keep in mind that I am from southern Louisiana where heat and humidity is legendary. But Vietnam? Just let me explain that if you are not from the Deep South or another very hot and humid region, know that Vietnam from March through November is about like your average August day – all day.

In Vietnam, there are three things (among many) that are constant – heat, exercise, lack of food, exhaustion and fear – I know, that’s five things. It again brings to mind Dr. Fung’s treatise on Eat Less, Move More and the Cortisol factor.

The stress levels of men in combat in Vietnam were off the chart. When we weren’t fighting, we were worried sick about fighting. We were always on edge and never really calm. I believe that the only reason our insulin levels were held in check was because of our age, fitness level and diet which was severely restricted.

Not being a physician, nutritionist or researcher, I can’t give you all the specific reasons for our drastic weight loss and subsequent rebounds but I can offer hindsight analysis from a trained journalists’ point of view. I also am now fairly well-versed in the workings of diet.

At about 160 pounds upon arrival in the very mountainous terrain of the northern portion of South Vietnam near the DMZ, humping up and down and up again slopes of well more than 45 degrees was the daily norm. Those days began at about 6 a.m. and ended about dusk when we all fell to the ground exhausted. Not tired, not fatigued, not played out; simply beyond exhaustion. Hungry, yes, but absolutely wasted. Sometimes we didn’t bother to eat. Just drink water and sleep … until it was time for get up for a two-hour or so, fully awake “perimeter watch.” It would also get worse on an LP (Listening Post) or all-night ambush when no one slept. And, yes,you still had to get up a 6 a.m. and begin the day anew. All with 75 pounds attached to your bedraggled body.

One month into Vietnam, I had already lost at least 10 pounds. After two months, I estimate by my clothing fit, that I was well into the 145 range – 15 pounds down from my in-country arrival date. Jump ahead four months in-country and after three long-range operations in the “bush” I was below 140 pounds. But I was still healthy as could be and maintaining my forced energy levels. And I was hardly alone in this condition.

Once, after ripping my one and only pair of trousers from waist to the back of my knee, my lieutenant said he was tired looking at my “skinny ass” (we wore no underwear) and ordered me a new pair of camos. It was the first time – and probably since – that anyone said I had a skinny ass. What a compliment! And when the trousers came in a few days later, they were a size 28 and I gasped. I hadn’t worn a size 28 since puberty. But when I pulled them up, I was shocked to see they were too loose. But at least I wasn’t hanging out. Still my weight loss didn’t end there.

Please read on.

Until now I have neglected to mention a grunt’s diet in Vietnam. If you want to call it a diet. The good ol’ Marine Corps still wanted you to get your three squares so they flew in nets full of chow in the form of boxed C-Rations at least twice a week. I don’t know the average calorie count of each box but you can bet they were uniform and highly laced with carbohydrates and sugars. Consider the entrees: ham and beans (better known as “ham and Mo-Fu-s”, minced meat in tomato sauce, spaghetti and meatballs, pork and beans, beenie-weenies, turkey slices, ham slices, pork slices, etc. – all equally disgusting and prepared in some vat somewhere years before. A can of syrupy fruit to keep us regular (I couldn’t eat fruit cocktail for 10 years after Vietnam); lots of crackers and another can of something I can’t even describe were enclosed as was an A-Pack. The Accessory Pack of condiments included Chick-lets gum, alleged coffee and sugar (no cream) and a wonderful, foil-wrapped, milk chocolate and pecan “shit disc” which was delicious but rumored to be laced with a laxative to help keep us, again, regular. For some reason, Uncle Sam did his best to keep us crapping. I guess the government knew we were already in a state of perpetual constipation. Or, that they had dealt us a crappy hand. But they must have had our comfort in mind because they included a 4-pack of name brand cigarettes. A life-long non-smoker, I always traded my cigarettes for Chick-lets and shit discs. (I had 13 cavities when I returned home. We also used our toothbrushes to clean our rifles instead of our teeth.)

That made up 95 percent of the meals I ate over a 7-month period in the bush. The only relief was the rare package from home that usually contained homemade fudge, brownies, cookies, chewing gum and the like, all packed by our loving moms with loose popcorn (which we had demanded). Stale popcorn is still good, even if two weeks old. These packages were shared with ravenous fellow grunts and rarely lasted more than half an hour.

In my fifth month in Vietnam, my weight hovered around 135 pounds. I had been lightly wounded twice by grenade and rocket shrapnel but still remained in the bush with my fellow grunts. And I was then facing my worst three-week health stretch in Vietnam. Increased enemy contact and fighting led to even further exhaustion and raw nerves. Agitation was common. An endocrinologist would have had a field day taking cortisol and adrenaline levels. We were subsisting, I estimate, on a diet of adrenaline and will power, more than calories. Each step taken in those mountains was a small victory. If I weighed 130-135 pounds I would be surprised.

Again, keep in mind that I am from southern Louisiana and was quite well adapted to the heat and humidity. Indeed, I prided myself on being one of the best “humpers” out there. While I was hot and tired, I never succumbed to heat exhaustion or heat stroke like so many of my Yankee comrades. But fate played a cruel joke on me. It was common for us drink out of streams even though advised and ordered not to. The water was clean, clear and cool … tasting much better than the chemcal-laden water in our canteens.

(The water was also laced with copious amounts of Agent Orange run-off from the hillsides and I was to pay a steep price for that dioxin exposure later in life. Another tome for another day.)

One day, another hot, humid one, and after a meal of fruit cocktail, ham and MFs and probably a shit disc, I started to feel quite badly. We were in the midst of a 12-klick (kilometer) hump and could not stop for someone with stomach cramps. I begged for a short break and we had to press on. My platoon sergeant advised I just do what was natural. I gushed forth and my new 28-sized trousers would soon need to be swapped out again.

Finally reaching our combat base at the end of the day, I checked in at the med tent and was quickly found to have a temperature of 101.5 and the onset of full-blown viral dysentery of some sort. Two days of rest and perpetually sitting on a humiliating outdoor, open-air throne did wonders for me. With all the water weight lost, I estimate that I was down to a temporary weight of 125 pounds. In July 1969 I was some 54 pounds lighter than I was the previous September when entering my beloved Corps.

But all was about to change, drastically.

Please read on.

On my next long-range patrol

(Laurie) #5

I’ve read installments 1 and 2. Fascinating–I will be back!

On my next long-range patrol, and just for timeline context, it was an historic day for the world. Upon arriving at our combat base, I walked into an area where a radio was booming. Instead of that sickening song “Aquarieeeuss” playing for the umpteenth time, there was a news report. It was about mid afternoon Vietnam time. “Hey, Gentle Ben, guess what? They’re walking on the moon right now!” I nodded, then said, “big f-in’ deal, let them come walk the Da Krong Valley for a few days and I’ll be impressed.” Of course, as a space nut, I was indeed impressed – but too hard, bitter and exhausted to care at the immediate moment.

I am convinced that the so-called “thousand-yard stare” and for me which had become the thousand-mile stare, is undoubtedly a hormonal result of some sort.

About two months later my unit was pulled out of Vietnam as part of Nixon’s Vietnamization process. I spent the next three and half months in Okinawa and The Philippines. My diet was about to experience its first yo-yo maneuver of my young life. But there’d would be yet another curve thrown my way … I was sent back to Vietnam in early 1970. (Thankfully a much more benign stint of two months.)

Still hovering near the 125-130 pounds plateau, after those two days on the wooden throne, I returned to the world of the living, eating and hydrating in Okinawa. Chow was plentiful, pretty darn good compared to C-Rations, we were given liberty from Friday evening until Sunday and we spent much of that time eating excellent Japanese/Okinawan dishes in the various nearby cities and hamlets. Of course, the indigenous population had learned it was economically beneficial to learn to cook American cuisine as well. We pigged out on some good hybrid dishes in those months. We also slept – a lot and I mean a lot. And we didn’t worry near as much about whether we’d live to see another sun rise. We were, after all, young and immortal. And we had just proven it by surviving a shooting-war.

Of course, Uncle Sam wanted to keep us combat ready so he again marched us and ran us regularly. But hardly the regimen we faced in either boot camp or Vietnam. My weight increased steadily over the next three months to a shocking (LOL) 155 pounds. I was nearing 160 pounds when I realized I needed to start running a little more. It helped some, but not much. I couldn’t get below that 155-pound mark.

Then we discovered amphetamines! Those little red pills that could easily be purchased over the counter in Okinawan villages were put to good use, even though the Corps outlawed them. We used them anyway. After all, what were they going to do to us? Send us to Vietnam? They helped on 20-mile forced marches, kept us well awake during night guard duty, led to some good long rap sessions with friends and helped us lose weight. Thankfully, they were not so available as to get anyone hooked, that I knew of. And for the guys that liked to do a hunger-induced doobie every once in a while, the reds kept their weights down as well. Honestly, I never smoked cigarettes and hated the smell of marijuana so I never imbibed overseas. So I just took some reds when we had them. Oh, and I got my weight back down to 150. :wink:

So. What have I learned from this retrospective? Dr. Fung and the Keto people are onto something old but new and interesting, if not phenomenally effective. The Eat Less, Move More philosophy certainly applied in Marine Corps boot camp and then again in Vietnam but it was to a gross extent and not nearly a viable diet plan to the non-warrior. (The Vietnam War Diet far out paces today’s Warrior Diet.)

But when returned to a lifestyle of available and plentiful food filled with carbs and no guidance or directive, my weight began to return at a rapid pace, even though I was still quite fit. This happened both between boot camp and going to Vietnam; and again when returning from Vietnam. I needed guidance and could have benefited from a forum such as this.

I also realize now what a big role hormones – especially cortisone – and sleep can play in your life.

As for fasting – a regimen that I am newly adhering to with gusto, amazement and intrigue – I can’t really say we fasted in Vietnam. Surely we must have been in a keto state and many times so. We ate regularly and snacked when we could and the C-Rations were filled with carbs and sugars. Precious little time for our system to quit squirting insulin. The things we craved the most was fast food, of course. We chatted often about cheeseburgers, cold cokes, cold beer, real candy bars, what we were going to have our moms cook for us when we got home, and planned binges of cold beer and hot gumbo, etc. At some points we obsessed over food and it was rarely over so-called healthy meals.

There was once some nameless government survey taken of Vietnam veterans and we were asked to list the top five things we wanted to do first when we got home. The results were surprising: 1. Sleep. 2. Eat. 3. Drink. 4. Sex. 5. Drive a car again. Sex finished FOURTH! And we were 19.

And that last statement might sum up all of our ability to survive the dietary and hormonal strains on our bodies.

We were 19.

Of course, now 49 years later, I deal with the subsequent maladies of PTSD, Agent Orange related heart disease and a melancholy I never thought I would experience. I, for one, am not sure I want to be 18 or 19 again … but 20 yes.

(Thank you for reading.)

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #7

Hello, that is such an absorbing account of your Army experience. Thank you. You must have been so frightened, not an easy time for any of you. Interesting how the Army insisted you had high quality food and nothing useless like carbs in your diet, in order to keep you fit, muscled and lean. There are Boot Camps for all ages who are overweight,so it is a proven way of eating to maintain optimum health.
Enter… sugar.
Cheap, easy, peer pressure, advertising. So obesity is now a huge problem and an addiction difficult to break.
I hope you keep well and enjoy life.

(Cheryl Meyers) #8

What a tale! You should publish a book of your experiences. Thanks for posting. Did you eat taco rice in Okinawa? it is still considered authentic Okinawan food… :wink:

(Susan) #9

Hello Ben or is it Bernard. That was so interesting and a beautifully written account. Welcome to the forum.

(Deb) #10

Wow! I usually check these forums each day and get a tiny little gem of a post, but this…this was an amazing, beautiful treat and insight into a world, time, and person that we rarely get the opportunity to get to know!
I spent time with several Vietnam veterans when I was in my late teens ( about 35 years ago), and they had all succumbed to severe drug habits, and one had cancer from Agent Orange. I never forgot them, nor any of their stories.
It is a true connundrum that your Marine diet ( essentially keto) AND your Vietnam diet also worked. If there is one thing I’ve learned about dieting since learning low carb/keto, it’s that sometimes the body does unpredictable things!
I hope SO MUCH that you will continue to write! Heck, you need your own CATEGORY! You obviously have the background and ability to write, and if these posts are any indication, you are one hell of a storyteller! So I should think either a blog of your own or a book are in our future.
Looking forward to next installment, so get busy!

(Thurston ) #11

I don’t regret being 8 years younger than you and only having to watch the Vietnam war from the comfort of my couch.

Very interesting as I just can’t seem to get enough perspectives from the war. I worked with a bunch of Vietnam vets in the late 70s and 80s and thinking back on each and every one, I ponder how much their personality, as I knew these guys was shaped from their experiences in country.

Very well written, you’ve got me hooked on two fronts!

(Bacon for the Win) #12

Thank you for your service. Semper Fi brother.

(Deb) #13

Of course, I’ve been pondering this all morning and I wonder if, in that primitive jungle, your young male bodies used that cortisol/ adrenaline EXACTLY as nature intended: the true “fight or flight” response, 24-7, and that, coupled with the extraordinary weight you carried in your packs, the constant movement, all contributed to your body’s ramping up your BMR to a level that far surpassed your carb/calorie intake. It is possible, if that were the case, that during that time, you were physically in perfect natural rhythm of sorts, at least in a dietary sense. Certainly not mentally. And truly horrific that it had to ( and has to to this day, or any day, to any one) happen like that.

(Doug) #14

Welcome, Bernard, and well done - quite a read. :slightly_smiling_face: There is much that goes into a life.

(Teresa (turtle)) #15

Thank you!! Such an enjoyable read!!

Loved reading this. On many levels. My husband flew C 141s for 32 years and spent little time on the ground in Vietnam, too much chance of the plane being shot at. Sort of ironic. Spare the planes at all costs. “Thank you for your service” is entirely inadequate.

(KetoQ) #17

Ben –

I usually gloss over long posts – but I read every word. Fascinating exploration of both war and diet. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Cheers,
Q

Thank you all for the kind words and reading through my lengthy story – one that I’ve never shared before because no one ever cared about what our bodies went through. Most are only interested in the combat aspect – of which I could write another thesis – or our political views on the war.

I am so happy that today’s returning troops enjoy a fond welcome home. But I also must confess that my happiness for them is still shared with a touch of bitterness. Our treatment upon returning was hurtful and depressing, and aggravated many of our cases of PTSD. Through many analyses by various psychological studies, it was found that one of the most common stress coping mechanisms for PTSD was increased hunger and eating. Obesity among aging veterans is quite common. So, in a way, My Vietnam War Diet still plays a role in my nutritional life decades later. Even today I shudder at the thought of fruit cocktail.

A few of you suggested that I write a book about my Vietnam experience. Well, actually, I did. I penned a novel based on my war experience in 2002 and it reached massmarket paperback status under the title “My Dying Breath” by Ben Reed (Kensington Publishing of NY) and it did quite well. Hardly a blockbuster but successful nonetheless. It is no longer in print but I am working on an electronic version for Amazon (which might still have some used copies available). Please do not construe my postings as some sort of promotion. If I’d wanted to do that, ketogenicforums.com would have hardly been my choice for such. You can also visit my website, www.mydyingbreath.com.

Question/Advice: I would like to share more of my life experiences with weight battles and the various successes and failures and what’ve I learned. And moreover what more I need to learn. There are still ongoing problems that physicians have failed me on. Even my fine cardiologist is dismayed at the lack of help that he can be to many of his patients and now believes that nutrition is where we will find refuge and improvement.

So, do I continue to post in this thread; begin another or just join in anywhere?

Also, how do I change my screen name?

GentleBen – my nickname in Vietnam – would be much more appropriate than Benben (which was actually a typo when signing into this forum LOL.)

(Raj Seth) #19

Thank you for your service!

And a fantastic introduction.

I did not realize that the Corp put hogs on a keto diet. I would probably describe that not s “Eat Less, Move More”, but “Eat More, move evermore”. In Afghanistan, the grunts were being fed 8-10K calories daily in mid 2000s

(the cheater) #20

TL; DR.

So where can I get this Vietnam War Diet, now? And how is it better than keto?

Totally just kidding. Amazing read. I’m an Army nurse who’s worked with lots of Vietnam vets; but that was probably the most coherent story I’ve ever heard (read) and one of the most interesting. Thanks for sharing!