My Start at Exercising

(Failed) #1

This is for all of you who find it hard to even to walk. I hope to be able to inspire you to just move a little bit. If I can do it, hopefully you can, too.

I have been inactive, basically only leaving the couch for bathroom breaks and making meals, and other small chores for the past 4 years. I’m disabled and I have to use a rollator, and I’m not too steady on my feet.

So, for me exercising by walking is a recent experience. I used to be quite active before I developed health problems, so I miss not being mobile.

I’m not steady enough to go out and walk outside, so I’ve just been walking back-and-forth from one end of the house to the other. As you can imagine, that was pretty darn boring. So I made my own boom box out of my rollator.

I’ve been walking back-and-forth singing along with the hits of the 70s & 80s. And yes, that big round thing in the background is an exercise wheel for the cat, why do you ask? LOL.

I just looked at my app on my phone that records my steps and this is how I’ve done this month. I’ve only really been energetic enough to concentrate on it for the past several days.

(Susan) #2

That is terrific, Dee, keep up the good work. Your progress since starting Keto is really great!

(linda) #3

Marvelous!!
This is VERY inspiring! Look at you…it only gets better with each step.
Go team Dee :slight_smile:

(Robert C) #4

Hi @DeeCS,

I am periodically in a similar spot.

Gout flares (although more rare with Keto) can put me in the “only leaving the couch for bathroom breaks and making meals” camp for several days.

Near the end of the days of pain, I think I get to the stage you are at now, not purposefully walking extra around my place (gout is a joint pain problem, not a strength problem) but instead, not trying to completely minimize movement anymore.

The next step is outside and being able to drive to work, shopping etc.

Those kinds of things are in your future and - when you get them back, they’ll feel better than they ever have before. The “chore” of shopping is now a vacation type trip. I would say - don’t rush it - but, don’t let anything slow you down either (especially - as it seems you are doing here - keep up the mental game).

(Justin Russell) #5

Really a good idea. Its inspiring and you must go with that for attaining fitness.

(Pete A) #6

Every little bit helps each day… I started Keto and exercising going on 3 years ago, and couldn’t do much. Now its incorporated into my day and helped with overall health.

Congratulations!