My new go-to potato(like) cakes

(Brian) #1

I grew up on potatoes. Seriously, when I was a kid, it was, “What do you want with your potatoes?” That was meal planning.

So when it came time to try out a keto diet, I MISSED my potatoes, big time.

I saw a number of videos online. One suggested cauliflower and radish mixed 50/50. That was a little “bright” for my taste, but I liked the idea.

Basically, about 3 good sized (large) florets of cauliflower and about 3 radishes gives a good balance to me. I grate them with a box grater and microwave for a few minutes, let cool a bit, and then squeeze the water out in cheesecloth. I probably get something like a cup of water out. (I’ve thought I should be keeping that for some kind of broth but haven’t so far.)

To the dry cauliflower and radish, I add salt, pepper, some onion powder, maybe a quarter cup or so of parmesean or ramano cheese, and an egg.

I don’t really measure much of anything, just kinda throw it together. But it works! The above makes about four 4"-5" patties, maybe 1/4" thick or so as they come out of the pan. But you can make them any shape or size that you want. I think they cook better when they’re thinner.

Fry in butter until browned nicely.

Good eats! Can go with lots of different things. Maybe not quite like potatoes, but it is a really good substitute for potato cakes.

This morning, my wife made some taco style chicken & veggies to go on top, with a little cheese & sour cream. Mmm, mmmm, MMM!!!

Now, if I could just find a good substitute for bread. Keto bread that I’ve seen just doesn’t even come close. I was quite the baker before I started keto and could bake a loaf of whole wheat that was the envy of all my friends. Even ground my own wheat. (sigh…) Squeaky egg bread… sorry, not even close. :frowning:

(Sophie) #2

I used to bake a mean baguette. I feel your pain.

(Jennifer) #3

This sounds good - I will have to try after I use up my zucchini. I make something very similar with shedding zucchini. Once I use it all up, I’ll try it your way.

For bread - I made the Fathead bagels and they were very similar to an asiago bagel from Panera. I wanted something I could toast and put on lots of butter. It was really good and hit that bread craving for me.

(Ashley Haddock) #4

Those sound tasty! If you can handle Flax, this is by far the best keto bread recipe I’ve tried. Not eggy at all and holds up well for sandwiches.

(Sophie) #5

@Bellyman you should try my Oat Fiber Pancakes. They are very bread like intentionally. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/holy-crap-i-cracked-the-pancake-code-oat-fiber-pancakes/17473/6

(Sophie) #6

I’m gonna try that Focaccia, it looks tasty! :+1:

(Brian) #7

I have no reason to think I can’t handle flax. Might have to check this one out.

Just out of curiosity, do you grind your own flax or buy it already ground? I’ve heard that some people notice a “rancid” smell with flax meal that’s not quite fresh.

Thanks!

(Brian) #8

Thanks, I think I may have seen that recipe poking around here, I even thought it looked good. Almost commented such. :wink: I just gotta find some oat fiber. Might have to find it online, haven’t seen it locally.

(Sophie) #9

I get mine from Netrition.com

(Ashley Haddock) #10

I buy mine pre-ground. The brand I used first was Spectrum Naturals (purchased from Thrive Market) and had no issues. I have bought a couple of bags of the Great Value (Walmart) Organic Ground and had no issues but the last bag I did notice a little bit of a funky smell I hadn’t noticed before.

(Brian) #11

Thanks for the suggesting on Flaxseed Focaccia Bread. I decided to try some this afternoon.

Just had some along with a chicken salad for supper. It has a good taste. Pretty nice texture. I’m not sure if it’s sandwich bread but maybe for some things, it would work. Despite having quite a few eggs, it wasn’t overly eggy, I did like that.

I wasn’t sure how big it would actually be and ended up putting it in a square glass baking dish. So it only turned out to be about 2" thick. I think when I try it again, I’ll try a different baking pan/dish that gives it a little more height. Not sure if there is a limit on how high it can go before it becomes too heavy and flattens under it’s own weight. It took closer to 30 minutes before a toothpick cam out clean but that might have been because of the heavier glass baking dish instead of a thin metal baking pan.

I can see this being good along with an Italian dish, maybe toasted with some garlic butter, maybe a bit of parmesan on top.

All in all, I’d call it good! :slight_smile:

(MooBoom) #12

Have you seen The Protein Bread Co. products? They are an Australian company, I love their pizza bases and bread mix. Really low carb (1.5g per bread serving and 17g protein) and a very decent bread sub.

(Brian) #13

I haven’t yet. But I’ll have to see whether I can find them here. Thanks!

(Brian) #14

Somebody asked me about my “potato cakes” recipe, somewhere, but for the life of me, I couldn’t find it again.

It’s not really my recipe, I got it from:

This guy has a unique sense of humor that I find easy to watch. But I think he’s pretty honest about what he thinks. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I took his idea to combine the cauliflower and the radish together but find that I like it better if I do maybe 2 parts cauliflower and 1 part radish rather than half n half. It’s still good mixed 50/50 but the radish is a little bright for my taste, even cooked. I haven’t tried the spaghetti squash or the turnip. I may try the turnip with the cauliflower someday when I have one, just to see. I might like that even better.

Anyway… that’s where I started. The “recipe” is quite forgiving and I don’t do anything exactly. I measured stuff the first time, just so I could try it the way he intended. But after that, it’s more of a guess as to quantities. And it works just fine.

I would normally add some onion powder and garlic powder to my real potato cakes so I put some of that in while mixing it up. I also like a little Cajun seasoning but that’s just me.

Whoever you are, I hope you give it a try. T’ain’t bad eatin’. :slight_smile: I like mine with a little salsa and sour creme on top. A dab of ketchup would taste good, too. Or just a little of that runny egg yolk with the eggs on the same plate. There are options. LOL!

Have fun! And make the recipe your own. Change stuff and try out variations if you want. You may find something unique that’s really wonderful.

I’m making this today! I love his videos, he’s funny and a good cook… thanks for the link.

Man oh man --I’ve been making these for 3 days now. They are so freaking good!!!

Taste exactly like potatoes to me.

Here’s my classic 'merican diner breakfast: eggs, hash browns, low sugar ketchup, Fox Hill Kitchen toast with sugar-free blackberry jam and Kerrygold butter.

It feels crazy to be eating a meal that seems so “standard.”