My first week

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

I have visited my doctor, after a week of having started the keto diet. I have lost 5.6kg, which I think is pretty good. The doctor is happy, and she has told me to keep doing what I am doing.

She has explained me a bit more about this diet: it is keto, but “proteïnada”. I find it difficult to translate into English from Catalan, but she has told me it is not a “hyper-protein” diet, but just providing the “right” amount of calories in terms of proteins, while reducing as much as possible both carbs and fats.

In addition to 5 portions of product per day, I eat two portions of vegetables per day. I am not hungry, and today I am euphoric (for no rational reason). The doctor has said that this is the expected behaviour if the diet goes well.

She has said we will continue like this until we want to stop (we will agree the moment between herself and me) and then we have to find a reasonable diet for “the long term”, which could be a pescetarian diet (with no bread, pasta, or in general sugars, refined carbs or starches).

She has reviewed the blood test she ordered from me, and she said it is mostly pretty good. I will have another one quite soon, to see how everything goes. I will see her next week again.

She is not only a dietitian, but also an anti-aging expert. It can be interesting.

(Carl Keller) #2

This is our body and brain celebrating the purge of sugar and processed food. At least, that’s how I like to think of it.

Congrats on your success so far. I wish you the best on your LCHF journey.

(Katie) #3

I really question the “reducing carbs AND FATS as much as possible”.

The fats are what will keep you seated and teach your body to burn fat for fuel. High protein will allow your body to convert it to glucose and then continue to run on glucose.

I also think that combining lots of carbs (Veggies) and lots of protein will really provoke a strong insulin response. I saw a study that indicated that carbs of any kind in combination with protein will increase insulin much higher than those carbs alone.

Anyway…I think you should drop the total carbs to just 20g a day. Probably need to drop the protein and replace with fat

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #4

Well, I am with a doctor who has a method, so I am going to stick to her method.

I am not so sure things are so easy as you describe. I am an ignorant on these issues, but I highly doubt there is a strong insulin reaction to cauliflower and broccoli, and to moderate amounts of protein.

In the end, there is no “best method”. There are “reasonably good methods”; and then, when your doctor offers one, you take it (if you trust your doctor), because a “reasonably good method” with a good medical follow up is, IMHO, better than any other good method without a doctor.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Welcome Arbre. I’m glad you have a doctor who is knowledgeable and willing to guide you through the process. It will be interesting to read about the advice you are given and your results. I personally do well with more protein than is recommended by the apps, for example. While fat is good also, I find myself staying full longer and getting filled up more quickly when I eat a protein packed meal. I still eat veggies and that’s where my carbs come from (under 20 g day). This has been working for me for 10 months and while I’m not dropping weight at a record breaking speed, I do feel really good consistently and daily which is why I started in the first place. Weight loss, for me, is a bonus side effect.

I wish you the best on your new eating journey.

(Katie) #6

Well…just so you know… restricting fats in not Keto.

Watch your fasting glucose and insulin. If you trust your doctor, then go with it. Just be informed yourself.

Many people here (myself included) followed the diet the Doctor recommended…and ended up with messed up metabolisms and/or diabetes and thyroid conditions. You are your own best medical advisor.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #7

Are you sure that restricting fats is not Keto? If I understand correctly, keto means lob carbs, in order to enter ketosis. I do not think fat consumption enters into the definition of keto per se (of course, it might be better to do keto with more or less fat, depending on experience, but this is another issue).

Katiekate, about your last paragraph, I disagree. I like my doctor, and I am going to follow her instructions (unless I consider she is not acting in my best interest). She is better medical advisor than me, I am sure of that.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #8

I have visited my doctor again, one week after the last visit. I have gone down 1.5kg, of which 1.3kg was fat. She has told me to keep doing what I am doing, and she is happy with the results.

I do not notice any side effect of the diet (metabolism has apparently not gone down). My pressure is normal (lower than it was before the diet).