My First Slow Cooker - Ideas?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #1

OK, so I’m a bit slow to the party lol.
There’s 2 reasons for this purchase. a/ It totally suits my cooking style. b/ It was too hot to cook inside the house last summer. This can go outside in the garden.

Plus I’m cooking for me, for Mrs Pjam and for the dog!

(Doug) #2

We cook a lot of beef in slow cookers, pots, etc. With or without vegetables, completely covered with liquid or not. Short ribs, brisket, roasts, tougher cuts like chuck or shoulder, or lower leg ‘shank’ - cook them enough and they’re tender and juicy.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

Sounds good for the cheaper cuts I like Doug. Most things need about 5-6 hours would you say?

(Doug) #4

I’d say at a minimum. 8 hours is usually what I do short ribs for. Brisket and chuck I often let simmer overnight - ending up with 15+ hours. Have fun and experiment with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Pressure-cooking speeds up the time, but purists frown on it. As you note, slow cooking is a good way to end up with tender, tasty cheap cuts.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #6

Thanks guys. Here we go. Chicken, herbs and spice plus 40 garlic cloves lol

Beef short ribs are glorious when done in a slow cooker. Its a great tool for making your own bone broth with beef, chicken or turkey bones; and cooking down thick bones if you enjoy popping the marrow out for a snack.

I’ve found that I enjoy the InstaPot a bit more as it can take a frozen slab of any meat and turn it into deliciousness faster than the slow cooker.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Do you find any difference in taste or texture, when pressure-cooking versus slow cooking?

Only with non-fatty cuts of chicken breast. Everything else is amazing I do find its much faster in doing bone broth, too.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #10

Cor that was amazing. Delighted with my slow cooked 40 garlic chicken