My eyeballs just rolled right out of my head

(Insert witty quote here) #1

So, listening to the Dr. Fung episode, where folks are calling him a sell out…I’m pretty sure the folks in the car next to me could hear me groan while I rolled my eyes. Seriously, don’t people realize that we’ve all essentially “sold out”? I mean, if you need to eat, pay a mortgage, pay for anything, you need to make money. In order to do that, you need to sell your skills, services, products, etc.

Dr. Fung, and many others like him (ahem, the Dudes), are providing lots and lots of services for FREE. Podcasts, YouTube videos, websites, etc. all take time. Time is a limited resource, so yeah, if Dr. Fung wants to sell some tea for 10 bucks a box, great! He’s handing us digestable research on a silver platter. So, to all the naysayers, shut your face.

I have a lot more to say, but atleast I’ve gotten that much out. Ugh. I’ve always hated the term “sell out.” Umm…if you don’t “sell out,” you’re standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign trying to get your next meal. Come on people!

OK. OK. Rant over. :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

A sell out is someone who compromises their principles in the pursuit of making a buck. Making a living while maintaining one’s principles is admirable.

(Crow T. Robot) #3

Agreed. I commend him for disclosing that he has a commercial interest in the tea. He did nothing wrong and shouldn’t be slagged for it.

However, I have to admit there is a little part of me that wishes he hadn’t done it just because there is always that dismissive attitude from people whenever an “internet [whatever]” is brought up: “What’s he selling?” It was always really nice to be able to say, “Nothing, he’s just a doctor who is trying to help people.”

He’s still that person, and probably nothing has changed – tea is a pretty minor thing to be selling, after all – but, I did get a small twinge when I heard about it. I haven’t changed my attitude toward him or his methods, but I have to admit, I will take any recommendation about green tea with a grain of salt.

(Insert witty quote here) #5

I get that, but in this instance, Dr. Fung is not compromising his principles. Also, one’s principles are their own. If they’ve chosen to change their principles, or make said compromises, that’s on them. Name calling and puffing up and getting angry about it, is on you. I’m using “you” in general here, the naysayer, not you, specifically. :slight_smile:

What I’m trying to say, is, you can only control yourself, and your reactions to situations. We all need to make money, and often have to face challenges and make decisions that may make us feel uneasy. Ideally, that wouldn’t be necessary, and we could all live in rainbow and unicorn land, but alas, I’ve yet to see that one horned, glitter pooping horse…