My decreasing "Dawn Phenomenon". YAY!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

This morning’s blood glucose and Ketone readings. Why is this especially significant for me? Because I still have a blood glucose rise due to “Dawn Effect” or Dawn Phenomenon. As the years go by that I am on the ketogenic diet and fasting, my dawn effect gets lower and lower. 90 is excellent and normal for a morning blood glucose reading.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #2

That is something I’ve definitely noticed after several months of intermittent fasting: much lower “Dawn phenomenon” readings. Especially if I fasted all day the day before.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

Very awesome. Congrats!!!

Thanks for sharing this. For the past week I have been experimenting with my food. Fasting until lunchtime then breaking with 4 tablespoons of chia in 1 cup of Almond milk. Evening meal 6 ounces of green veggies spinach/broccoli and 4 ounces of fatty meat. For the past 5 days fasting and after eating I have maintained 75, with just one day being 68

(Robin) #5

Thanks for the link to Dr. Fung’s post @Brenda. It gives me hope. My morning BG readings are still between 120 and 130 and his explanation of the fatty liver issue explains why they don’t go down as fast as I would like them to. I guess I need to keep calm and fast on… :wink:

(Ethan) #6

How high had it been and was the trend slowly down? Did it take many years to even begin to be lower? Also, are you exercising prior to the reading?

(Robin) #7

I would like to know about other’s success and speed of lowering their dawn phenomenon as well. I seem to keep yo yo-ing with my diet. I have some food addiction issues that I deal with in addition to insulin issues. If I partake of non-keto foods, my dawn phenomenon issues return to what they were (120-130) or worse. I have only been IF for the last 4 months or so and I really only see any change in my morning levels after my few extended fasts. I am currently starting a 3 day fast. My BG this morning was 155. We shall see how things progress.

I’m interested to check if my morning coffee is causing an insulin spike. My question is, I do experience the dawn effect - at 5:45 am I was 95 - if it goes down after coffee is that an insulin response or just a simple lowering of the dawn effect?? Maybe I need to test fasted to see how fast it goes down on its own??