My changes since starting Keto-Blood pressure & other

(tulsanurse1) #1

I am a Long Term Care critical care nurse and overweight/unhealthy and I can attest to the overwhelming amount of patients that are Type II diabetics. I started Keto 3.5 weeks ago and am still learning with everyone else. I began Keto when my weight was at an all time high and my energy was at an all time low. I have been taking two blood pressure medicines for the last 4 years. There are times I have ended up in the ER because of high blood pressures (200/110 and higher). When I started Keto I never thought about EVER being able to get off blood pressure medications. I was just desperate to feel better. I also have something called hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) on my neck/head for which I have tried several medications and natural herbs to no avail. Wow the change has been almost unbelievable.

Around the 10 day mark, I checked my blood pressure before I took my medication and it read 127/76 so I waited a few minutes and rechecked it. The next reading-127/76. Since then I make it a point to check my blood pressure before I take any medicine and the result is the same…No High Blood pressure. I havent had to take blood pressure meds in almost 2 weeks and I feel amazing. My blood pressure this morning was a beautiful 120/80 with a heart rate of 78 beats per minute. I just checked my BP again and its 120/76. Another thing that has happened is that the hyperhydrosis is gone. For my entire life I always said if there was anything I would change about my body it would be that I could sweat like a “normal” person. Im finally getting to experience that.

One last thing. Dr. Barry did a video about medications that can affect blood sugar. He mentioned 7 medications. The two medications I took for blood pressure (Losartin & Lopressor) were on that list! Another one, diphenhydramine for sleep was also on another list. Before learning about this, my “waking” glucose levels were in the high 90’s. Now it runs in the 70’s. I have a long way to go but I am so grateful I stumbled across his channel during a “binge” watching session last Saturday. I have lost 17 lbs since I started and I know a lot of it is water but I dont care, in fact Im grateful. Even if all 17 lbs were water, thats still a heavy bucket to carry. #KetoForLife

(Stephanie Sablich) #2

I am SO PROUD of you and your body :slight_smile: You’re working together and my goodness, that must feel amazing. Nice work!!

(KaizenKate) #3

Like you I had super high 200/110 bp - isn’t it a blessing to have keto/IF reduce BP enough to stop meds! Way to go!

(Darlene Horsley) #4

Awesome!!!

(tulsanurse1) #5

Thank you so much. I see the meals presented to the patients in the hospital and I cringe. The more I learn, the more I read the studies, the more I just want to scream “Stop”. I see so much related to diabetes.

(tulsanurse1) #6

Yes I am so happy. Dr.KenDBerryMD has done a really good video on medications that spike/affect blood sugar. I was on 3 of them that he mentioned.

Wow, this is amazing! Congratulations! I have been doing Keto since December 7 and I feel so much better too. After I read about your excessive sweating I suddenly realized my sweating has just about disappeared too. I’m not sure why exactly but it’s yet another benefit of the Keto lifestyle!

(tulsanurse1) #8

Im more happy about the decrease in sweating than I am about anything else, including decreased body mass. Mine is triggered mostly by social anxiety and Im seeing the decrease in that as well. I wont take benzo’s or SSRI’s so Ive had to “live” with it forever.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #9

Looks like I’m Losartan as well.
That makes me…angry that my doctor would knowingly prescribe me a medicine that would make my blood sugar worse when he also knows I’m Type 2 Diabetic.

(Candy Lind) #10

That is some AMAZING progress in a short time! I am so happy for you! :hugs:

(Candy Lind) #11

It’s so frustrating that they have lost sight of “First do no harm.” I’m building an arsenal of information to take to my dr. next time I see him.

(Darlene Horsley) #12

Unbelievable. I just get more and more frustrated and I can only imagine how angry you are. I see a “come to Jesus” meeting ( as they say) in your Dr’s future.

(Carol Orrell) #13

Change your doctor. Find a functional me icing doctor.

(Renee Slaughter) #14

Congrats on your progress. Keep keto ing on.

(Deb Myhal) #15

Fight the good fight!

(Oscar) #16

I wonder if your pressure has kept the same? I’m taking the smallest dosis of lisinopril and my pressure as increased on the diastolic to 85-90. I have been on keto since late 2020. Any recommendations?

(Bob M) #17

That’s interesting. What is your systolic? Has it changed too?

Mine has settled around 110/68, though this morning after jogging, it was around 100/60. Yikes! That’s too low for me.