My Carnivore Keto Experience

keto
newbies
food

(Brandon Rumann) #1

BS”D

Hello :wave: I have been wanting to post about my personal carnivore keto experiences, and wasn’t sure where to share this so I am making a post. :slight_smile:

I did my own version of the carnivore keto diet in 2022, from March to September/beginning of October, and I lost 60 lbs., going from 265 to 205. I am M/5’9.5”/ and had light activity (walking, jogging, HIIT, tennis, swimming, calisthenics, and weight training, but only about once or twice a week for an hour or so).

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get into ketosis and I am not counting that first month. I lost about 2.5 lbs a week, so about 10 lbs a month. Not to mention my mind was the clearest it’s ever been and as far as I could tell my sleep also improved in terms of quality and needing slightly less than I normally do (I am on the higher end of needing about 9-10 hours to feel rested, but was closer to 8-9 hours when I was in the thick of carnivore keto).

I am an Observant Jew and therefore follow the dietary restrictions of Kosher, which means proteins are more expensive, not to mention I only eat the highest quality of proteins (organic/grass-fed/pasture-raised/wild caught/etc), which also increases the price, but to me this is a small price when compared to the nutritional advantage present in high quality proteins, usually with higher concentrations of vital nutrients.

I was only able to afford the carnivore diet for 6 months but am starting it again soon!

I never calculated macros, except for carbs, I ate as much protein and animal fats as I wanted until I was full, and aimed to never go past 60-90 grams of carbs in a day. Sometimes I had sugar, like Ice cream, and I never cared about anything except for keeping carbs at or below 80 grams per day. I had a somewhat diverse protein and fats group, and my carbs were the only consistent thing I had and made sure the amount and type were consistent to measure them easily (e.g. no more than 4 tortillas a day where 1 tortilla has 15g of carbs so 4 tortillas is 60g of carbs per day).

While this may not be an exact formulation of my everyday, it’s pretty close:

I basically ate as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted, and whatever I wanted (working within the above bounds I mentioned of limiting carbs to a max of 60-90 grams per day) and just made sure that I was getting full from protein and animal fats. This usually meant eating anywhere from 180 grams of protein (on the very low end, which was not the norm) to 300 grams of protein (on the high end, which again was not the norm), where the majority bell curve fit the normal range anywhere from 200-250 grams of protein per day, again not caring about the source of protein (sort of).

The only protein options I gave myself were organic chicken (breast/wings/thighs/legs/bones for soup), organic grass-fed beef (steaks and roasts of any kind but most usually ribeye steak/short ribs/brisket/cheek meat/roasts/ground beef/ and bone marrow), lamb (lamb chops/lamb shoulder roasts), wild-caught salmon fillets and tuna steaks (either ahi tuna or in sushi blocks), salmon roe (fish eggs), pasture raised eggs, on occasion bison, on occasion duck, and this is practically all of the protein variety I ate and I made sure to be full from protein or from animal fats since they aren’t carb heavy.

I ended up limiting the types of fats that weren’t from animal products since they often come with significant additional carbs (e.g. avocados, nuts, cheese, cocoa nibs, etc.), and instead if I wanted more fats I would get it from bone marrow, salmon roe, pasture raised eggs, whole creamline milk, the cream from whole creamline milk, and plain homemade yogurt made from whole creamline milk.

Some days I intermittently fasted, but not out of trying to fast, rather because I only ate when I felt hungry, and on those days I opted for drinking whole creamline milk for breakfast and bone broth (made with water, salt, leftover bones from bone marrow, an onion, and occasionally a carrot or squash) for dinner.

So that on an average day I would have:

I only ever drank reverse osmosis water (adding salt to it on occasion) and I usually drank 5-10 cups of water a day, depend on thirst and usually depending on if I exercised that day.

(Seasonings are regularly salt and pepper, and sometimes tajin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Italian herbs (basil/oregano/rosemary/thyme/sage/etc.) and the like).

Breakfast: 4-6 eggs, an avocado or two (depending on the size, if large then 1 if small then 2), 2 corn tortillas (15 g carbs each), 2-4 cups of whole creamline milk or 2 cups of yogurt (where each cup is slightly sweetened with a teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of either raw honey or pure organic maple syrup, and maybe a couple times a week I threw in a small amount of either fruit/nuts/cocoa nibs).

Lunch: Seaweed wrapped salmon roe, cooked wild caught salmon (sometimes made as a ceviche in lime juice)/a seared ahi tuna steak/sushi tuna blocks in sea weed, 1.35-1.5 cups of sushi rice (if I didn’t have a tortilla with breakfast), half an avocado (if large then 1/2 if small then a whole avocado) or 1/3 of a cucumber, a handful of nuts, and fruit with cheese (changing the quantity of nuts, fruit, and cheese depending on earlier carb intake).

Dinner: Fried/baked/pan seared/sous vid/tartare (beef/bison only) chicken/duck/beef/bison/lamb (usually cooked in a bone marrow compound butter, ghee/rendered fats, lamb lard, olive oil, avocado oil, or sometimes marinated in a low carb marinade recipe), 2 tortillas (15g carbs each, again if I had rice then no tortillas and if I had tortillas then I had no rice), 6-8 marrow bones eaten raw, and 4-6 cups of bone broth.

If I was still hungry at any meal I just made more protein/fats of the same kind (e.g. more eggs, yogurt, or milk for breakfast, more fish/salmon roe for lunch, more chicken/duck/beef/bison/lamb/bone marrow/bone broth for dinner) until I was completely satisfied.

When I wanted to snack I would have meats, eggs, or animal fats already listed.

Doing this I not only lost weight, 2.5 lbs per week, but I felt like a kid again, it was easier to have higher levels of energy throughout the day, it was easy to sleep, I truly felt better.

I fell off of the routine for a number of reasons and haven’t had the best diet, but also not the worst, just not keto.

When I stopped keto and went back to eating whatever I wanted, such as a lot of sourdough bread, salads, sushi, burgers, and the like, but I took care not to drink soda, have any processed high calorie snacks, sugary foods or candies, or anything of the sort, and I gained back 10 lbs over the course of 1.5 years, not too bad, so that now I weigh about 215 lbs.

I am starting this routine again soon now that I have the ingredients in stock and am looking forward to continuing with this diet!

During this period I took bloodwork and my LDL and HDL were slightly elevated, while all of my other markers were great or normal.

Feel free to tell me where I should share this and comment or ask any questions, I am an open book! :slight_smile:

Wishing you success in all of your endeavors for the good and blessings for children, health, wealth, and happiness! :pray:t2:

Another carnivore benefit
(Bob M) #2

Than you, that is a great story!

The other part of this, which many might not realize, is that you can’t mix dairy and meat. So, no cheeseburgers. And pretty much any keto recipe mixes meat and dairy.

This is also one reason why seed oils are used a lot. Once animal fats such as tallow and schmaltz became “bad”, seed oils took over.

(Brandon Rumann) #3

Thank you for reading and for your reply!

Yes, Kosher separates milk and meat, I wait one hour from eating milk between switching to eating meat, and I wait 6 hours from eating meat between switching to eating milk. This is a custom and many have different customs, but this timing allows for the body to digest and separate the meat and milk even within the stomach. :slight_smile:

I stay away from seed oils almost completely, I might have a small amount every great once in a while, but the majority of my fats come from animal fats and cooking with animal fats, olive oil, and avocado oil.

My main stipulation is that I switch up everything, the proteins and fats, to make my body feel rested from a particular food.

(Geoffrey) #4

Shalom and welcome back to eating healthier.

I am returning from a 10 kg sourdough & wine detour from carnivore which lasted 3 years during covid. I have shifted 8 kg in 3 months and hope to regain my health. I have discovered that bread, cheese, wine, coffee and tea give me IBS symptoms. I feel great and waiting patiently to fit into my skinny jeans again.

(Robin) #6

You’ll get there!
Welcome back from your detour.
You got this!