My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

(Terence Dean) #81

Yes that’s exactly where those carbs are coming from, 1 teaspoon of USDA Organic, Erythritol contains 4g of Sugar Alcohol. I also added the nutrition for our Australian Caster Sugar and updated the image. So yes, the sugar version has less carbs but we’ve also lowered the amount of sugar down to 1/3 cup from Dave’s original recipe.

In fact 1 teaspoon of caster sugar is 4g of carbs, so they are equal in terms of carbs. If we dropped the Erythritol down to 1/3 Cup both recipes would have the same amount of carbs. The difference between them is 1 teaspoon of caster sugar has 16.4 kcal whereas 1 teaspoon of Erythritol has zero calories.

Another thing that is wrong is the amount of Almond flour, some sources say that 1 cup = 100g somewhere else I saw 181g, that’s quite a difference.

@tdean Looks pretty good. I’ve actually never used Cronometer, though I did create an account some time back. … May have to a closer look, because I like how you can enter all the ingredients and get a breakdown. (Which I already do in my own spreadsheet. But would be nice to have a comparison)

And yep, as Diane stated, this is why I didn’t include the Erythritol into my calculations as well. … Like I stated in the beginning, I was just learning of these new, Keto Friendly sweeteners, and did quite a bit of research. From what I read, you didn’t count sugar alcohols if it didn’t have additional additives, and Erythritol seemed to be one of best, if not the best option for this. The Erythritol I use states the only ingredient in it is Erythritol itself.

This is basically the information that was given for the use of Erythritol - And I believe Swerve as well.

(Terence Dean) #83

Its the first time I’ve used it to create a recipe but it does look quite handy. When you add a piece of cheese cake to your plan, you just weigh it and add it in grams, and its quite accurate in terms of how much you’re eating. I prefer to measure everything in grams including liquids, half a cup of this, and a teaspoon of that, it gets confusing.

Yeah, we’ve had that debate here in my house as well. Don’t know why I started using ounces over grams? Maybe because some of the ingredients are sold this way? For instance, I just use the 8oz. tubs of sour cream for CC’s, which is just simpler then having to measure it out each time from a larger tub. (Speeds up process when making multiple cakes, and less cleanup). I also have a habit of usually not measure anything when I’m cooking/baking. (My Mom was the same way) Just sort of wing it, and it seems to work most times. :slight_smile:

I’ve wondered if using grams would be better, especially with Keto, since both my scales can do either? But again, when measuring things out (Which Keto has made me start doing so I know their numbers) do you just have to learn what a 1/4 tsp. is in grams, 1/2 cup, etc.? … I was just wondering if this was a US thing as well?

Be interested in hearing anyone’s thoughts on this… grams versus ounces

(Brian) #85

Dave I have been using pecans as my base crust and they turn out great! I’m using a 7” springform pan.
1 1/3 cup pecans
1 tbs cocao powder
1 tbs powdered swerve or erithritol
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3 tbs of cold butter
Mix it all up in a food processor and form it in the pan. I’ve been baking mine but after reading your thread I agree I’m not sure it is necessary. Not entirely happy with the filling of mine so I’m going to give yours a shot next time! Thanks for the thread

(Diane) #86

This sounds like an awesome variation for the crust! Definitely want to try this soon.

Thanks, Brian. But yes, I stopped baking the crust years ago, and putting it in the fridge while putting the cake together has worked a lot better. Just felt it wasn’t needed.

And yep, someone else mentioned using crushed Almonds for a crust as well. Will definitely be looking into it. But have to say the Almond flour isn’t bad. Might look into maybe incorporating it with some pecans or almonds to create a mixture? Since I’ve not tried any types of crushed nuts, such as almonds or pecans, I wondered if it holds together well enough to be formed, and not continually try to fall apart?

Thanks

(back and doublin' down) #88

My first cheesecake ever! Cooling now, will start researching pretty toppings

That’s very cool, Congrats! - I bet it will taste great! :slight_smile: … Been cutting grass all day, but getting ready to make my first ‘mini’ in a little while.

I haven’t had the time to fool around with toppings for the Keto versions yet, but I was thinking of maybe dry fruit like strawberries or blueberries, with maybe wiped up HVC with a slight sweetener. Just to add a little extra on top. Please let us know what you come up with. :slight_smile: Enjoy!

Well, I have now officially made my first Mini-Chessecake. … Few things I wanted to mention; First I adjusted the ingredients some, since it’s only a 4", and some ingredients can be a pain to cut this small. Plus, I really wanted to make this infused with Strawberry for my wife. So here’s what I put in it

Crust: (For a 4" springform pan)
Almond Flour - 1/2 cup
Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
Erythritol - 1/2 teaspoon
1 table spoon butter (Melted)
Strawberry extract (5-6 drops)

Filling:
Cream Cheese - 1 - 8oz. package
Large Eggs - 1
Sour Cream - None, didn’t add it. See notes below.
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Erythritol - 1/4 cup ( crushed/powdered )
Cream of Tartar - 1/8? Teaspoon (pinch)
Strawberries - 1.2 ounces (2 med.)

Cook time was 30 minutes, convection setting.

First, since I wanted to make an infused Strawberry Cheesecake, I actually added Strawberry Extract to the crust as well. For those who might wonder how I did this, I simply added in 5-6 drops to the butter after I melted it. WARNING!: Whatever you do, do NOT taste this after the extract has been added! …Trust me, you will never get the damn thing made, if you keep wanting to drink the Strawberry flavored butter!!! :slight_smile: I took one whiff and OMG, did it smell so good. Not to mention all the freakin’ ideas that jumped in my head! (All I wanted to do was make some Keto Friendly Muffin and pour the Strawberry flavored butter all over them!) … … Sorry, back to the cake.

After forming and placing the crust in the fridge, I started making the cake mix. I actually smashed up 1.2 ounces of whole strawberries and mixed this into the batter. … But here’s where I changed up some stuff. I was actually going to use the Strawberry flavored cream cheese spread, my wife loved so much, but I soon realized I was going to have extra batter. … So I left it out, hoping the added strawberries would be fine. So when I filled the springform, I had to pull out some silicone cups to take the rest of the batter. I was able to fill 5 of them.

Overall, it seems to have come out fine. But it’s in the fridge now, but you will notice 1 of the 5 little cups didn’t make it. Silicone and a slippery glove do not mix! :blush: Especially when it’s still soft and flexible. Also decided to place them all on a single cookie sheet. (Also, the little guys came out at 20 minutes, but it would have worked better at 12 to 15. That’s why they dropped so much. Clear sign when a cheesecake is cooked to long. :slight_smile:

Before oven …

After cooking…

Sorry for such a long post…

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I don’t have silicone baking cups OR a springform pan, but they are on my shopping list!

Not a problem. I couldn’t tell you how many springforms I have in total, due to making cheesecakes for so long. But I actually just picked up the silicone cups a couple weeks ago from Amazon. Figured they would be nice to have around, in case I wanted to use them for something. Good thing is you can bake with them or freeze.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DH3ZTXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really recommend springform pans though. They can be used for many things, not just cakes. And removing the rim makes getting stuff out a lot easier once cooked. But if you do end up making some cheesecakes, make sure to get a cheesecake remover too. Makes getting the cakes loose so much easier.

(Terence Dean) #93

Please sir! Cheese cake remover? Photo required. :smile: I’m serious what is a cake remover?

(Terence Dean) #94

My wife got an early birthday present today when we bought one of these little beauties. We took one of the lemon coloured ones. It was $100 cheaper because they’re not as popular as the silver range. Yellow, pink, blue, green who cares right? 1200W motor, it should be strong enough to mix concrete!

Not a problem, and sorry I didn’t mention it before… Basically it’s this.

I believe they also call them icing spatula. Basically allow you to slide it under the cake, and work it all the way around the cake to release it from the bottom section of the pan.

(Terence Dean) #96

Thanks Dave I think we’ve got one of them.

Isn’t that strange how that sometimes happens! :smile: … You should have some fun making some stuff in that. And nice choice picking the color that’s not as popular. Always seem to reduce prices on those, if they don’t turn out to be big sellers.

(Terence Dean) #98

Yeah we’re about to make one, wish me luck. Actually my wife is going to make it because she doesn’t trust me enough not to completely stuff it up. :rofl:

She wants to make a plain vanilla I on the other want to do a lemon version, we’ll see who wins!! Just a reminder Dave, did your original sugar version have 1/2 cup of sugar in the mix?

She just doesn’t want you playing with her Birthday Present! :rofl:

For my regular cheesecakes, before Keto, I actually use 1 cup sugar. But think with you not eating a bunch of sugar/sweets, you could probably reduce to 3/4, and possibly 1/2. But I would try the 3/4 first, to make sure it’s at least sweet enough. After all, they are supposed to be a sweet treat.

(Terence Dean) #100

Too late its 1/2 a cup! :rofl: The ship has sailed!!! :ship:

She won, its plain. :frowning: