Muscle Milk (brand) Question

(Central Florida Bob ) #1

I don’t know where else to put this, but if moderators want to move it, go for it!

I’ve been telling myself to find an alternative to my 40 hour fast once a week, because of some unpleasant effects I just keep getting.

I’ve been telling myself to do a PSMF, but the only one I’ve ever done was a week long, liquid diet in January of '23 before my hiatal hernia repair surgery. That time I did Fairlife Core Power high protein shakes. Those are 42g protein per bottle and I’m pretty sure I did three bottles/day.

While grocery shopping this Thursday (my fasting day) I noticed the store had Muscle Milk on sale at $3/bottle. So I picked up two bottles. I had one that night instead of a complete water fast. They’re 220-ish calories, 40 g protein and less carbs than that Fairlife Core Power. The sample of one time seemed to make the fast and next day go better.

There’s one question I have about this stuff. It lists an ingredient called High Oleic Sunflower Oil. I ordinarily avoid sunflower oil and seed oils in general like the plague but honestly didn’t notice this until I had one bottle.

Does anyone have any info on this oil?

I don’t know how bad this oil is. The ingredient list on this stuff is much longer than the one on the Fairlife Core Power. I’m thinking maybe I should go back to that.

(KM) #2

I put a (single ingredient) collagen powder in my coffee that’s got about 32g protein per scoop and basically no taste at all. I’d much rather have a couple of cups of protein coffee with cream than a commercial product, assuming you’re not looking for vitamin supplementation.

True Nutrition - Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder from Grass Fed Beef - Paleo Friendly, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Non-GMO, Grass Fed Collagen Peptides Powder - Unflavored - 1LB

(Geoffrey) #3

I don’t know what it is but if it’s a seed oil then I wouldn’t touch it if at all possible.

I am with the others, I would just grab some normal high protein item if that could help me… (I will try but I am pretty sure fasting is way easier for me, I am starving after a tiny meal. except if it’s pure fat.)
I personally wouldn’t want to add sunflower oil regularly. I ate about a tonne in my high-carb times and occasionally I still have a little bit (relative visit) but I wouldn’t ever buy such a thing deliberately if I had another option.

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

Thanks everyone.

I think we’re all in agreement on avoiding this. I’ve avoided seed oils absolutely since the bad attributes started getting out a few years ago. @kib1, I’ve done collagen in my coffee before but never thought of it for this.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing a web search on the term until after I posted this but I found:

“made from sunflower seeds that have been conventionally bred to be high in oleic acid (a monounsaturated fatty acid) and low in linoleic acid (a polyunsaturated fatty acid). There is a minimum of 80% oleic acid in high-oleic sunflower oil. In comparison, traditional sunflower oil has less oleic acid (around 20%) and more linoleic acid.”

The emphasis was that it made the stuff more stable, so less likely to oxidize and go rancid. I guess that monounsaturated is better than poly. At least it doesn’t sound like it’s sunflower oil with all the PUFAs and Oleic added to it.

The other brand has a much shorter list of ingredients and none of this, so if I go with liquids, that sounds better.

(Bob M) #6

It sounds more like olive oil (also high in oleic acid). It’s a lot better than regular sunflower oil, at least if you’re not fond of linoleic acid:

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

Thanks, Bob!

I didn’t see that in my search, but I didn’t look at more than the first results page. The paragraph I quoted was from a Tuft’s University page, and I have to say I instinctively don’t trust anything from university-based health experts. For reasons like they also said that either the high oleic acid version or the regular sunflower oil was better for you than saturated fat.

They probably meant that as “it’s good for you” but I associated it as the same as plain sunflower oil.

(Bob M) #8

Yeah, those people tend to believe we should be drinking regular sunflower oil. :frowning_face:

Like you, I try to avoid high-linoleic acid oils, though lately I’ve been avoiding all oils. Mainly because I’m not eating anything with oils, except salads sometimes. And to cook, I usually use some type of animal fat.

Anyway, if you need to eat something with oil, high oleic sunflower oil seems to be a reasonable choice.

(B Creighton) #9

Monounsaturated fats are like 40 times less likely to become oxidized than Omega 6, but that oil still has about 20% omega 6 which is subject to being oxidized while getting refined. I pretty much avoid all seed oils unless they are cold pressed. Nevertheless, the high oleic acid oil is preferable to the std sunflower oil.

I personally make a smoothy rather than buying protein drinks. I throw in a whole Hass avocado, and typically use a coconut milk base. I typically use a scoop of whey protein for fast synthesis, and then plant protein powder I spike with BCAAs to make it more anabolic. It is like a complete meal, and I don’t have to worry about added unwanted ingredients.