Muscle cramps - possibly low in potassium

(Nica) #1

I’ve been having slight muscle cramps. I already take magnesium due to being deficient in the past so it’s definitely not that. Before when I used to get them I’d usually have some coconut water knowing it’s rich in potassium and it would go away. I know it has a bit of carbohydrates so not sure what to do now. My current carb intake is about 14-18g so I guess small amount would be still ok? or maybe potassium tablets to avoid that extra carbs. If so what amount of supplemental potassium would be safe?

(Allie) #2

Avocado, green leafy veg, Lite Salt.

(Cherie Lynn) #3

I get leg cramps a lot even before going keto and used to eat a banana for the potassium that would help. Now I’ve been making my own electrolyte water and while there’s many recipes I use 8oz glass of distilled water, 2T organic lemon(juice) and just a pinch of Himalaya salt. I swear it’s helped me so much with leg cramps I haven’t had any since I started drinking this 1x daily. Also feel more energetic and just better all around!:grinning:

(Nica) #4

Hmmm, didn’t think about that. Thanks

(Omar) #5

I never got muscle cramps before keto.

I did not find magnesium to help but I found potassium help a lot to reduce it.

(Diane) #6

If you search these forums (or google) for ketoaide or ketoaid recipes, you will find many versions of electrolyte supplementation. You might want to search and try one.

Also, you’ll find that upping your sodium helps you hang onto to fluids which can help you retain and balance your the other electrolytes.

(Carl Keller) #7

100% agree with Diane. Proper amounts of sodium is crucial for regulating other electolytes. If you don’t get the sodium right, all the others can be affected.

I occasionally will get a charley horse in the back of my lower leg (gastrocnemius I think?) when I am sleeping and by simply getting more salt, the problem goes away.

Scientific evidence suggests this may be harmfully low for most people. Based on a study of over 100k people across 17 countries, “an estimated sodium intake between 3 g per day and 6 g per day was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events than either a higher or lower estimated level of sodium intake.” Another study looked at ~275k people and found that between 2,645mg and 4,945mg of sodium per day was the optimal range.

Great salt article: