🇺🇸 ‘Murica Group 🇺🇸

(Raj Seth) #22

Growing up in post colonial India, our math books were of English origin. Loaded with money conversions, pennies, farthings, shilling / bob, crowns, guineas etc. those are branded into my brain

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

No, just bilingual: fluent in both English and American. :grinning:

P,S,—I tried very hard to pick up a British accent while I was there, and was chagrined when chatting with a stranger, when she askd, “Are you enjoying your holiday in Britain, then?” :frowning:

(Doug) #24

Yank but lifelong Anglophile - most of it from books I read as a young child.

So only 7 or 8 stone left to lose…

(Raj Seth) #25

I’ll keep both my stones, :pray:

(TJ Borden) #26

No! No! No!.. no “stones”. Pounds only on this thread… but for weight, not currency

@Rajseth’s use of the term is appropriate on the ‘Murica thread

(Doug) #27

(TJ Borden) #28

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ‘MURICA :us::fireworks::tada:

#theoriginalbrexit

(Alec) #29

Wishing our American cousins Happy Birthday!

I just love your colourful humour, make sure you are sticking to your 20g of carbs and 1-1.5g per kg of LBM.
Cheers
Alec

(mags) #30

Every time I see people’s weights or lbs lost I have to convert to stones in my head. Every single time!! Drives me mad.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

It’s dead easy, just remember that there are 6.36 kilos to the stone, and you’ll be fine. :grinning: :rofl:

(Doug) #32

I drank some wine yesterday, but I kept it under one hogshead.

(mags) #33

Cheers for clearing that up for me :thinking::hugs:

(mags) #34

238.4 litres. Now then that must be ummmm 119 pintsishhhh!

Yeah me too! Though I had to whip out a calculator to figure what that meant in lbs. Always wondered what a stone was.

On the plus side, one stone is pretty close to describing how much weight I’ve lost so far. :smile:

(Doug) #36

Sounds like my kind of pints there. :smile:

(mags) #37

Well done! Now doesn’t it sound good… You’ve lost a whole stone!

(mags) #38

I weigh myself in pounds now to try and get it into my head but then find myself calculating back to stones. A stone lost is such an achievement somehow. I’ve lost 3 of them :grinning:

(Casey Crisler) #39

It’s going on vacation, not holiday. Add “the” or “a” before hospital and university. Finally, math is singular not plural. The US and England, two countries separated by the same language. (GB Shaw).

However, I have to fess up. I like the “u” in colour or parlour. Seems to be a little classier. Theatre and fibre drives me nuts.

(mags) #40

Oh we Brits are proper classy!! I’ve learnt a lot since I joined this forum. One really good difference keto wise is that all our nutrition is based on 100grams so the carbs can’t be hidden. You’re manufacturers can put 0 carb if something is less than 0.5per serving whatever the serving size is.
I’m Welsh so if you want a shocker for spelling I’ll give you this one all our :ambulance: have ambiwlans signage.
Oh and a Welsh theatre is spelt theatr…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

You also have all those place names with lots of consonants, right? :grinning:

BTW, I’ve lost just over 4 stone, so there! (P.S.—Why is it 4 “stone” and not 4 “stones”?)