Multiple Sclerosis possibly sugar storage issue?

(Christine) #1

Hey hey, so I have MS and control it with Keto. Sort of like Dr. Terry Wahls’ real food plus IF…

So occasionally I’ll have a Granny Smith Apple and within 45min- 1hr I can feel my calves shorten and my neck tense up. Which is I’m guessing from the spike in insulin? OR and I’m a lay person so be kind, what if my body does not store sugar correctly and is putting too much in muscle storage? Thus created the tense spactitity. When I have fasted for 12hrs I have full flexibility. Like Used to train in ballet for 20yrs flexibility.

I know Alzheimer’s is when the brain cannot process glucose any longer, what if the same is happening for MS but in the muscle?

Please don’t be mean if this is really dumb. I’m just wondering. Why does spacticty set in after I eat too many carbs?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I think you’re on to something, but no matter how the apple is affecting your metabolism, you know it brings a negative effect. Listen to that. You’re very fortunate to have made this connection, so many struggles with MS. I’m happy that you’ve found keto to give you increased mobility and ease of movement. Congratulations on your NSV. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Christine) #3

Yeah coming from junk food vegan to paleo to Keto was a mind fuck at first. Now I GOTTA START EXERCISING, I just get so tired from my job (welder/fabricator) it’s woof.

Not dumb at all! This is a great observation, and I think it’s one of the many ways we learn more about ourselves and how certain foods effect us.

This is why I hate rigid diets that say you must do A, B, and C. Well, not everyone reacts well to B, but A and C work great. Can’t I just do that?

Christine, I’m afraid I don’t have any information for, but hopefully someone smarter than me will come along to help.

Thanks for bringing this up and asking the question.

(Christine) #5

I just get excited by science but many times I loose patience for details. I was hoping a smarty pants would be interested.

Well, we’ve got plenty of them around here. So, your chances are good. :slight_smile:

(Khara) #7

Hi. Interesting info. How long have you been using Keto to control your MS and what types of improvements have you seen?
I have a friend with MS. She eats ‘healthy’. Like the healthy side of SAD. Not too much junk or treats but does think whole grains and a lot of fruit is healthy. She often talks of making homemade fruit smoothies. I kind of cringe and wonder if Keto would be helpful. I’ve heard so many stories on here how Keto improves such a variety of medical conditions. But, I don’t want to overstep my bounds and say something to her. I occasionally share a little bit about how I eat and how good it makes me feel but I don’t have MS or any other medical issue so I don’t have much credibility with people who do. Anyway, maybe I can share your success at some point with my friend.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

While reading up on MS (learned it in school years ago) I stumbled up on this article. It’s discusses a study involving increased lactate in MS patients and the that there is a “link between energy metabolism and MS severity”. THEN I found a runner’s forum where they discuss high lactate after carb loading (on sugar) but that it’s not a big deal if they’re active and so on.

So, what if: you already have high lactate and eating a piece of fruit increases it and that’s why you get the muscle stiffness until you clear it. I’m just throwing stuff out there, mind you!

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=6322165

(Christine) #9

Hi! So first thing is you can lead a horse to water… don’t push your friend too much. I was diagnosed/stopped walking 2012. I slowly transitioned to paleo over the next 2-3yrs. 2015 I started Wahls Protocol but definitely not perfectly. Eventually I got myself Keto adapted and on her level 3. Which is a real food Keto with MCT oil to help.

I have had 1 new lesion in 7yrs. I have not been on medication since 2014? I’m not sure. The new lesion was this year bc I had a very hard transition to my new job in a bronze foundry as a welder.

I do take supplements. And I do try to do 12;12 IF. It makes my hands and nerves feel the best which Dr. Wahls recommends. She has a whole year of meal plans I want to buy one day.

The one hang up is my sugar addiction which came back strong this past fall. Despite being Keto. Oh and I do take Low Dose Naltrexone at night. And I am borderline hypothyroid. I take Naturthroid.

Hope that helps, but Dr. Wahls went from a reclined wheel chair to bike commuting. You should look her and her ted talk up. She’s been on LLVLC too.

(Christine) #10

I could totally buy that. Or maybe I process sugar too quickly into lactate?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #11

Wow, that is a really interesting observation! I wonder if you have had any other foods since you started keto that have the carb content of an apple and if those foods caused the same reaction?

I have 3 women with MS in my closer circle of friends/acquaintances and from the newer studies we’ve been looking into, MS is, often, described as an autoimmune disorder (similar to type one diabetes). One friend had a theory that keto or paleo could help due to low-carb diet lowering inflammation and immune system reactions.
I will pass along your findings :slight_smile:

(Khara) #13

Thank you for your info. I will look up Dr Wahls as well. And yes, I really am completely hands off with other people’s eating choices. If the subject of food comes up I keep pretty quiet. I sometimes say that I feel so much better without sugar and if that promotes more conversation then great, if it doesn’t I don’t continue talking about it. People are either interested and actively curious or they’re not.

(Khara) #14

Lowering inflammation and immune system function is how I found Keto. I knew I was a sugar addict. I’d go through periods of abstaining and periods of really overdoing sugar. Then I started noticing that whenever I was overdoing sugar, I’d get sick. Didn’t get sick when off it, got sick when back on it. This is just the typical stuff that goes around, colds and flus. I could look back over several years and see this correlation. I started researching sugar and immune function, wanted to quit sugar anyway, and stumbled into Keto.

(Christine) #15

I have been messing around with things that I think I can get away with like berries or green apple. Both in the Wahls book, but I don’t tolerate them. I really don’t.

Sugar is a heinous addiction.

I’m glad youre seeing benefits, my friend’s been doing very well on keto as well :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #17

Interesting how every thing always leads right back to that leaky gut thing?

I think there are way more people walking around on this planet that have a leaky gut (they don’t want to believe that?) than medical science can confirm?

And the countless number of medical doctors and research scientists always end up saying “…HFCS is punching holes in your intestinal tract…” so anything you eat is going straight into your blood stream and the auto-immune system reacts by attacking your own body? (e.g. MS, Hashimoto’s, Parkinson’s etc…)

Almost anything and everything (highly refined processed foods) you buy at a grocery store is laced with duplicitous amounts of this stuff to the nth degree even if it is not listed in the ingredients, it could be a sub-co-ingredient of other ingredients or less than a gram 0 ingredient?

Corn, sugar cane and beet sugar, the ulitimate weapon? (stealthy, lethal and silent?)

[1] “…Most interesting to me, however, is how MS affects leaky gut syndrome or vice versa. This correlation was also interesting enough for a group of Swedish researchers to see if there was a connection between leaky gut and MS. According to Dr. David Perlmutter, “Swedish researchers using an experimental rodent model for multiple sclerosis have now confirmed that immune activation as a consequence of increased intestinal permeability may play a fundamental role in multiple sclerosis. Indeed, when multiple sclerosis was induced in these rodents, there was almost immediate correlation with increased gut permeability, which, in retrospect, was certainly something that was anticipated and now proven.” It should be noted that this research is still in its early stages, so as a person living with MS, I am going to talk to my doctor about the link between MS and gut health. If you feel that you may be living with leaky gut syndrome, you can consult a gastroenterologist. If you do see a gastroenterologist, it is important to ensure that your neurologist gets the results to ensure care coordination. Glutamine and probiotics are two commonly used supplements to help promote gut health. However, it is important to talk to your doctor and follow their recommendations about maintaining a healthy gut. …” …More

[2] 5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You - Dr. Mark Hyman M.D. “…The enzymes in your digestive tract must break down the sucrose into … High doses of free fructose have been proven to literally punch holes in the intestinal lining…” …More

[3] The Not-So-Sweet Truth About High Fructose Corn Syrup - Dr. Mark Hyman

(Khara) #18

This is interesting. I had kind of forgotten about leaky gut, or at least put it on the back burner. I read quite a bit about it years ago. It seemed like one of those things that you can’t really pinpoint whether you have it or not, a lot of speculation or maybe just anecdotal evidence, and very new science. This was a few years ago at least. I will look into it again. Random searches here and the internet, unless you can suggest a good place to start?

(Bunny) #19

When I look at vast spectrum of diseases and metabolic dysregulations, nobody seems to have definitive answer; my questions then start to form the Occam’s Razor hypothesis:

What else can it be?

Some will say oh it’s just hereditary in the genes genetic?

Then how did this happen to begin with?

We can put things under a microscope and say this is doing this to that and get so lost in the complexity of something and describe how something is working then we lose focus on the most simplistic explanation as to what caused it to begin with and it is sitting right their on the shelf, in the grocery store, right their in front of our face?

(Heath) #20

hi,
I just joined and I love your post. How interesting that your fast makes you limber like that! I’m 60 and used to be on a keto diet. I haven’t been high carb for the last 4 years but have back slid into a non-keto state for the last few years and my condition has deteriorated. Only this weekend did I learn that Keto could help me. Thanks so much for your post! I’m an active woman and looking forward to standing on a shovel in my garden area without losing sleep that night and the next.
Heather