Muffin-less McMuffin (2 Ways)

eggs

(Simon L Smith) #1

Hey, so. I don’t really miss McDonald’s. But, I did/do enjoy their Egg McMuffins.

At Resturant

Did you know you can order the parts of an Egg McMuffin individually?

I order 1 egg round, 1 sausage patty, and one slice of American cheese. I do have to tell them to pack them together as I usually get them in 3 individual containers.

While good in a pinch, I prefer to make them at home.

At Home

At home, I heat up two pieces of Canadian bacon in butter (butter!), add a thin slice of cheddar cheese. Not too much, just enough to give it some tangy gooy-ness. I then fry an egg (we raise chickens so I use our eggs), in butter, and add it on top.

Per my packaging the Canadian bacon has 1 carb each, the eggs are 1 carb each, and my cheese says less than 1 carb per ounce. I rarely use a whole ounce.

A good replacement and INMHO a worthy use of 2-4 carbs for breakfast. (I usually have two).

Enjoy!

I like McDonald’s I’m a pinch too! Thanks for the ordering tip. Homemade version looks good too!

For something new and to fill me for the day i tried the McDonald’s steak egg and cheese on a bagel and discarded the bagel (times 2); the other day. It was very good- you may want to try it sometime.

Thanks again!

(Sophie) #3

I like to do this too, except I make mug bread and split it into 4 slices. Haven’t been to McD’s in eons.

(Tim) #4

I like your ordering suggestion and will have to give it a try. I usually get two sausage mcmuffins without the muffin but it often takes me longer to get them to understand my order than it does for them to make it. And, I never get it served the same way twice.

(Tim) #5

I’m curious, where did they put the cheese? The sausage mcmuffin comes with the cheese next to the muffin making discarding one without the other impossible.

(Jeremy Storie) #6

You have to tell them to put the cheese between the egg and sausage or they will still put it in the container first. It doesn’t come out of the container easily and that way.

Lol! yeah- I always discard the muffin- and hated to see all my cheese go with it! It never occurred to me to ask them to put it between the egg and sausage like @jeremystorie- that’s a good idea!

On the Steak egg and cheese- there was a thin layer of what seemed like hollandaise sauce on the bagel- so most of the cheese was salvaged. It also had some onions on it. It was a great change up and after 2 of them I was definitely more full than just the mcmuffin sandwhiches.

(Ellie Baum) #8

If you want to make the eggs round like at McDonald’s, butter a mason jar ring (lid without the middle flat part) and put it in your frying pan. Then crack you egg right in there. Perfect size especially if you decide to make some minute muffin in the microwave.