MTHR Gene?

(Central Florida Bob ) #1

Can someone explain to me, or point me to, information on the “MTHFR mutation” that’s talked about here occasionally? A podcast number to listen to?

I was playing with my 23AndMe report and Promethease last night and stumbled across something it said that’s a “bad” mutation having to do with the MTHFR gene. It seems that the MTHFR gene and folate metabolism is involved in so many things that saying MTHFR mutation isn’t saying much.

The particular SNP I have shows 9 full screens of things the gene is linked to. Yet the report says there are 9 SNPs linked to the MTHFR gene; I have one bad, five good and the other three are “we don’t know”.

I’m confused.

Bob

(VLC.MD) #2

seems like a “common” mutation.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Thank you.

Promethease says I have the A1298C mutation, which that article refers to specifically. I notice that almost all of the recommendations are things I already do.

He doesn’t mention the keto aspect. I could swear I’ve heard of one.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

Look up Chris Masterjohn, he just came out with a new podcast episode about this!

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

Thanks, Erin.

Just listened to that 8 minute “lite” podcast. Time to go look at his website.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

You’re welcome! He has lots of good info on this subject, I have this mutation too, so I found what he had to say helpful :blush:

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

It’s a little overwhelming at this point. In fact, part of that article blew me away. I like eggs, but 4-5 a day is far beyond anything I’ve ever had. He says keep your protein between 1/2 and 1 gram per pound of body weight, while I’ve always heard it’s 1/2 to 1 per kg. He’s saying to have over twice as much protein. Plus, many say per 1 gr of protein per kg of lean body mass, which reduces your protein even more.

I like to use numbers for examples, so for a typical 170 lb, 30% BF guy, (that is, not me :grin:) he’s saying 170 g of protein. The 1gr per kg of weight is 77 gr of protein. The lowest is 54 g or protein. The widest spread there is Dr. Masterjohn saying to have 3x more protein.

(Cindy) #8

Hi Bob,

I know this is an old thread, but I have double MTHFR A1298C mutations - I got it from both parents. I also have APoE4 from one parent, and my mother died of a very virulent form of lymphoma type breast cancer. So all kinds of little complications here, there and everywhere to deal with. But I keep my protein low, fats very high, and carbs super low because kidney issues are part of my repercussions. So far it’s working for me. I’m about to go get more blood testing next week, so I’ll have more info after that. I’ve only been in ketosis for 6 months, so I know I need at least another 6 months before I get the full effect. Because I have such funky genes, I’m really aiming for super low blood sugar (in the low 70’s hopefully, although I only get there occasionally still) and a CKI in the 1-3 range. I’m so new to all of this that I have a huge learning curve though!!!

How is it working for you?

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

Hi, Cindyy,

I’m still here. Didn’t really remember posting this, but that doesn’t mean much.

I seem to recall having the 1298 mutation. At least, I found there are two forms: one gives about a 30% decrease in methylation ability and the other gives much more serious impairment, 70% reduction, I think. I have the milder form. I’m also double in ApoE3 (IIRC - I recall that between 33 and 22 one is good to have and the other just isn’t as bad as 44 - I’m that last kind).

I’ve tried a couple of supplements and never found anything that makes a difference in how I feel. I realize that it’s easy to say “I feel fine” if you feel the way you have all your life and don’t know you can be better, but I tried supplementing with choline (phosphatidyl choline) and I tried a methyl B12. I don’t believe I can tell any difference in how I feel, and no indications of anything else - although I haven’t had extensive labs done.

I’m keeping my protein in the moderate range: about 1 gram/kg of lean body mass, carbs very low, and fat higher. I haven’t been tracking macros, though. I’m aware of how much carb I eat because that’s fundamental and only eat non-starchy veggies and 1 ounce of macadamia nuts a few times a week… All of that is effectively divided by two because I’m alternate day fasting which means one day makes up for no protein, fat or carb the next day.

Good luck with what you’re trying. I’ve never gotten my blood sugar into the 70s. The only thing that has gotten me into the low 80s was the alternate day fasts.

(Cindy) #10

I have the 70% reduction because of the double 1298, but my worst problem is how completely intolerant I am of B vitamins. All of them, even the best type of methylated ones, do really bad things to me. So I’m trying choline, glycine, and creatine now, with the tiniest possible doses of some B’s. I just started, and I already feel better today, so that makes me hopeful.

I’m lucky with blood sugar. I was hypoglycemic until age 40 something, and now that it has gone up, it has only gone up to the 70’s. At least I have one great thing going for me! :wink:

Thanks for the conversation! It’s so nice on this forum not to feel all alone with some of these kinds of issues.

(Central Florida Bob ) #11

That’s the best part of forums like this, and this one is particularly good. It’s a lot of people dealing with all sorts of issues and helping each other.

You’ve motivated me to go dig through my Promethease results again. I should pick things out of it - besides the things I already know about (family tendency to type 2 diabetes for instance).

Good luck with sorting out more information.