MSG Reactions?

(Alex) #21

i eat mac’s cracklin’ curls regularly. if you stick to either original or their ‘spicy’ flavor, you can still enjoy them without having to worry about feeling like crap afterwards. just avoid the other flavor options though as their ingredients are iffy (i.e. msg) :hugs:

I disagree. I noticed weird things happening to my vision on what seemed (at first) to be random occasions. I Googled to figure out what it was = occular migraines. Then I started to research what causes them. One of the causes was stated to be MSG. So I paid attention to when I got them and lo and behold, it correlated with eating Asian food from restaurants, which often use lots of MSG.

I don’t think MSG is the agent of the devil that it’s been made out to be. I do think people have some sensitivities to it and like a lot things people have sensitivities to, people like to blow it out of proportion.

(Justin ) #23

Yeah thats true as well. Everyone is different and have much different sensitivities.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Nope! Not required. Completely optional, and if you put it in the wrong spot, someone will move it for you. We save our policing efforts to making sure that everyone comes to the cult rituals properly robed and no one mentions the mothership! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As for the pork rinds, if you live in the U.S. it is possible that they jiggered the serving size so that they could say 0 g of sugar per serving on the nutrition label, but how many “servings” were in the bag? If sugar is listed as 0 g but still shows in the ingredients, that means that there are 0.4999999999 g of sugar per serving (safest assumption, anyway—and if it says “under 1 g” assume it means 0.9999999999 g), so if there were 8 so-called servings in that bag, that would be 3.999999999 grams of sugar, which might have come as a shock to your system, MSG or no.

In civilized countries, though manufacturers may pick whatever serving size they want, the nutrition label still must list the quantities of everything per 100 g of product. This prevents them from hiding the sugar.

I, too, am an agnostic on the topic of MSG, but that’s because it doesn’t seem to affect me. These carb-laden days have brought a lot of dysfunction with them, however, and I no longer question anyone who claims any kind of sensitivity to any type of food—we’re all just too unhealthy anymore.

(hottie turned hag) #25

I never had issues after Chinese food, laden with msg, and am now wondering if it was the sugar after all as you say. Then again I did eat the WHOLE BAG, 5 oz, :flushed: one serving listed as 1/2 oz yeah sure, right, what’s that, three pieces?

Could’ve been the triad of: BIG dose of MSG (whole bag), sugar, and quantity of food, as I rarely eat that much of anything at a sitting. It was truly like I couldn’t stop and I normally am not that way with any food, even with my -now forbidden- cheese, I always craved more but could restrain myself.

I had another WHOLE BAG of a different, NO MSG flavor of Mac’s (salt and vinegar) last night and feel a tad icky today but nowhere near how I was after the other and no head pain, just that “off” feeling I used to have after carbs. SO, I am putting pork rinds on the “no” list as apparently I cannot eat just a few. Too bad so sad for me because they are THE BOMB and it took me near two years of keto eating to try the suckers and was instant love connection!

Doing a 48h fast to stabilize, it took 48h fasting after the piggish episode with the BBQ ones to feel normal again.

Thanks for all the great replies, guys.

I got carried away a bit with them at first but found that when I combined them with mashed avocado or dip they were super filling quickly and I was satisfied (like whole meal satisfied) with far fewer.

(hottie turned hag) #27

:pig: HA lmao tried that, I dipped the s&v ones in cucumber dressing, nope only made it BETTER
#glutton4lyf

10 servings of that is a whole load of incomplete proteins too, like 10x9 = 90g or so. If you’re on the low protein end of the spectrum it might have thrown you off a bit.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

It breaks down the same way it does from natural sources. Just like Morten salt is manufactured but the body deals with it in exactly the same way it does sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt. MSG is naturally occurring.

(Bunny) #30

How interesting?

Original MSG used for cooking came from the crystalline formation on seaweed broth?

The MSG in today’s world and in some processed foods comes from fermented sugar?

[1] MSG myth – debunked with real science

[2] “…MSG occurs naturally in many foods, such as tomatoes and cheeses. People around the world have eaten glutamate-rich foods throughout history. …Today, instead of extracting and crystallizing MSG from seaweed broth, MSG is produced by the fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane or molasses. …” …More

(traci simpson) #31

I have some kind of reaction to canned stuff. Tuna, chicken in particular. I get a headache almost immediately after I consume it. Even like when I used to eat tuna subs, immediate headache.

(hottie turned hag) #32

@Diygurl19 hm those don’t contain msg so I wonder if you’re reacting to the trace metal from the canned stuff? Is it with ALL canned stuff, no exceptions?

How about a propsed experiment in which a food is eaten without MSG, then the same food with added MSG. No other variables.

(hottie turned hag) #34

@carolT Yep did this after the “pork rind bacchanal”.

Had another same sized entire bag, different flavor NO MSG.

No headache. Did feel icky though; and I am one who can eat an entire 1lb bacon, 8oz stick pepperoni and a steak AT A SITTING :smiley: and feel A-OK so I can only conclude, I do poorly with tons o’ pork rinds and very poorly with tons of MSG/pork rind combo. Def an n=1 as replies to the thread suggest not a common problem.

(traci simpson) #35

I can eat sardines with no issues at all. Strange!

(hottie turned hag) #36

@Diygurl19 Girl that is strange! So prob not the tins themselves then :confounded: