Most important macro?

(Debbie Fojtik) #1

What is everyone’s opinion on what is the most important macro? I’ve heard that it’s most important to meet the protein, some say fat. So… which one? Y’all are fantastic.

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

Carbs is most important. Under 20g net at least. Under 20g total if you can be that strict.

Carbohydrates are critical, if you ignore them, you won’t be in ketosis for very long, and longer-term you won’t get fat adapted because you’ll still be bringing glucose into the body.

Protein is important for a number of reasons. There’s all sorts of theories on what the right quantity is, but do your research, find what will work for you (in real terms, i.e. what you’ll be eating) and stick to it. You need to hit your protein target each day (unless, of course, you’re fasting).

Fat, as in dietary fat, helps you reach satiety and is a good energy booster when needed. It’s less important once you get fat adapted and are trying to lose weight, because your body can just use its own fat rather than dietary fat. Later when you’ve reached a target weight and are trying to maintain, you’ll want to bring in fat. But still not as important to track as carbs and protein. Fat is mostly something you’ll add to feel more satiated and not a strict target you have to hit like protein is.

(Garry (Canada)) #4

Most important macro is proper nutrition … However most people forget that, in search of quick weight loss at any expense.

You can’t build a house on a rotten foundation. The body must be treated like concrete, with the right mixture of ingredients to be it’s strongest.

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

@Gaff @BeavertonGarry

Both are better answers than mine. :grin:

Macros aren’t important. Eating real, whole food is.

Be wary of anything that came from a factory.

(Bob M) #7

I agree that macros are not important, though it might be helpful initially to count carbs. Hard to tell what 20 or 50 per day is. Try to eat things that came directly from the animal or the ground.

(Carl Keller) #8

Depends on your goal.

If it’s weight loss it’s most important to keep carbs under 20 as @hedleylo says. If you have good metabolism and want to increase muscle, it’s probably protein. If you want to raise good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol, it’s probably fat.

Put them all together and you get keto,.