More than halfed my Insulin Resistance with the Ketogenic diet

(Antony Collins) #1

In October 2016, my insulin resistance level was an alarming 17. Anything over 14 is considered insulin resistant which means that my pancreas had to produce more and more insulin to make my cells accept glucose to remove it from my blood stream. High and prolonged levels of insulin resistance leads to pre-diabetes and then ultimately Type 2 Diabetes.

Over the past several months I’ve been on the ketogenic diet eating very high fat and low sugar and carbohydrate meaning I have less glucose in my blood and therefore my pancreas doesn’t have to over produce insulin to try remove it and shift it into either my muscle for energy or fat cells for storage.

I just got my blood tests back today. My Insulin Resistance now is an amazing 9! Anything under 10 is considered normal insulin sensitivity. The doctor couldn’t believe it and asked how I almost halved my insulin resistance in only 7 months. I explained to her about the ketogenic diet and she said well, what ever you were doing before, don’t do that again and whatever you are doing now, keep doing it!

Incidentally, my Triglicerides are a very low .7 (.5 - 1.7 is considered normal) and my HDL is 1.6 (1.0 - 2.0 is considered normal) and my LDL is slightly high at 3.9 (1.5 - 3.4 is considered normal) but I’m not too concerned about that as they haven’t yet provided me with the sub particle sizes of the lipid profile. This high LDL reading could mean I’m high in the large fluffy LDL (and not the artery clogged very fence or small LDL). The large fluffy LDL arent a risk factor for stroke or heart disease as they don’t cause atherosclerosis but are essential for brain and cell function. I’ll try get those numbers tomorrow…

Net of it is, the Ketogenic diet has reversed my risk of acquiring Type 2 diabetes. This diet works on so many factors. Not only does the science point toward this diet for a number of health reasons but I’m also living proof it can improve ones health.

(Antony Collins) #2

Meant to say ‘almost halfed’ - not sure how to edit my post when logged in via iPhone…

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

Congratulations, excellent work! I wish doctors would be more curious than just saying “keep it up”, but at least the doctor didn’t lecture on the evils of the ketogenic way of eating.

(Terri) #4

It is amazing what eating properly for your body does to these disease markers! Congratulations on being able to do quickly see the impact of your lifestyle change!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Is this a fasting insulin test? Trying to figure out if this is the same test I just had.
@DaveKeto?

(Dave) #6

I’ve only heard of an insulin resistance score on the lipid panel (mine is <25 on almost every test).

Other than that I go by fasting insulin.

@Antony_Collins – do you know what they are measuring to get this number?

(Antony Collins) #7

Hey Brenda, Yep fasted insulin - bloods taken in the morning and hadn’t eaten or drank for about 8.5 hours before

(Antony Collins) #8

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #9

My insulin at the end of my long fast was 5.1!

Now to keep it there.

(Elizabeth ) #10

Such an encouraging post. Thanks!!