More on Autophagy

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #1

This video popped up on a suggested list on YouTube. The portion on autophagy is from 3:10 - 20:16. I appreciated that it helped me understand more about autophagy, especially in regards to how much protein is recycled through the process of autophagy in comparison to how much protein that is typically eaten.

(Richard Morris) #2

Great find @Charmaine-OLD fascinating

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #3

Thank you!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

The illustration at around 18:24 in is kinda trippy. :slight_smile:

Very interesting stuff, and even more so when delivered with the unique Japanese style.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #5

Yeeees! LOL

(carl) #6

I think I may have just had a PWOP! moment (forehead slap). If autophagy is required to supply MOST of our protein requirements - these people claim normal people get between 60-75% of protein requirements from autophagy - what does that say for people who are in peak fitness and have less recycle-able proteins? Does this explain why the protein bros advocate eating more protein than a t2d like me should eat? If I’m getting this, I have lots of extra body fat and dead proteins that need recycled. That’s why keto and fasting work for me. If I ever get to a place where I have less body fat, and I still want to get energy from fat, I should eat more fat. At the same time, does that mean I have less “dead” protein than a t2d, therefore limiting the amount that can be recycled by autophagy, and therefore requiring me to eat more protein?

Isn’t this why a protein range is provided? As in eat 1 to 2 grams protein per kg lean body mass…where more sedentary people need to eat less and athletic people need to eat more toward upper end of range?

(carl) #8

Exactly what I’m thinking

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #9

One of the things I got from having autophagy explained was that the body is constantly recycling the old and feeding the new. In my mind I’m looking at it pretty much the same way that you’re looking at it, only with body builders and the athletic person carrying more muscle than the average sedentary person, they would need more protein from food sources for the same reason that a person fasting would need to take some fat in when the chills and such strikes - the body isn’t able to keep up with the energy needs at the rate that’s needed. Did that make sense? People who’re adding on muscle will at some point need more protein via food (don’t know how much more though); whereas someone losing fat, not adding muscle is probably good with lower amounts of protein because the body is recycling through autophagy most of the protein needed to maintain what’s there.

This is making sense in my mind. LOL

Very interesting find, thanks for posting.

(Richard Morris) #11

If you don’t have a lot of body fat and you don’t eat enough calories from fat then your body will use protein (plate or biceps). I believe that is why if building lean gains is your primary goal then having some dietary protein headroom (eating a little more than you need just in case you use more) makes sense.

I think their risk for someone carrying more muscle is they necessarily have less fat, so they don’t have that storage reservoir for in case they miscalculate how much energy to take in the body fat can step in and cover the difference.

However If they are actively gaining muscle then yes they need a little more protein as raw materials - but once you have sufficient extra protein, eating more won’t cause more muscle development. Everything beyond what you need is thrown on the bonfire and burned for energy.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #12

Thanks! Yes, that makes sense.