Modified water fasting with strategic protein supplementation

Hello all,

I’ve done intermittent fasting/warrior diet in the past but have recently switched over to OMAD 23:1 full ketogenic diet.

I’ ve been doing lots of research & have learned so much thanks to this forum. The most intriguing thing I’ve learned are the benefits of prolonged fasting, particularly autophagy.

As a result I started experimenting with water fasting have done several 24’s, 2 48’s & broke a 4 day water fast yesterday.

What I am trying to do is optimize my bodies ability to burn fat & preserve muscle/gain muscle.

I am 6 foot 1 & 271 pounds, when I started my fasting experiements about 2 1/2 weeks ago I was 295.

I am currently in the “cutting” stage of my weight loss/transformation.

As mentioned above I have been water fasting & I have had great results & for the most part felt great, better then I have felt in a long time & maybe ever. The only time I have had problems is when working out, specially if I workout in the afternoons. & the more into the fast I went, the more excarberated the problem.

I am trying to strength train 3 times a week & doing conditioning work & generally staying as active as I can in the other days. I am listening to my body & beine very careful with everything.

I drink spring water with added sodium & potassium when water fasting & did not have any issues with keto flu or anything like that.

It’s only when lifting weight & usually on the last few reps on my final set. I try to workout in the morning because I feel significantly better in the mornings while in ketosis. I don’t feel sick or anything like that in the afternoons I can just feel that my body is more tired & strength training is harder for me.

I know my body is probably still getting fat adapted & when it becomes more efficient I will feel better.

What I plan on doing is the following. First of all I plan on water fasting as long as I possibly can & once I get to a lean healthy weight, I will incorporate more tactical refeedings intended to help me gain muscle mass. I will combine that with of course water fasting doing 23:1 & 47:1, 71:1 & so forth & possibily dry fasts untill I get to a healthy ideal muscular weight. The purpose of the sru fasting & water fasting is to induce autophagy to heal & detox from all the garbage I ate in the past & to help with loose skin.

What I am trying to figure out how to do as of now is how I can incorporate a refeed or better yet, a micro-refeed in order to give my body a boost while strenght training & help it heal/preserve muscle mass. My body fat is high enough that I think it’s possible for me to gain a bit of muscle mass even with limited calories but I am not expecting anything & like I said, I plan on focusing on muscle gains in my next phase.

Now here is my idea for my refeeds/microrefeeds during the cutting phase.

Pre-workout I plan on taking 1 serving of protein powder & 1 tablespoon of pure mct oil.

I have 3 protein powders currently:

Matrix 5.0 Sustained Release Protein Blend
A mix of unalderates whey, micellar casein & egg albumin
110 calories:1.5 grams fat, 2 grams carbs & 23 grams protein.
2.369 Leucine

Now Chicken Bone Broth, basically a natural chicken bone broth concentrate.
120 calories: 0 grams fat, 29 grams protein (Basically all collagen) & 0 grams carbs
1408 mg Leucine

NeoCell Collagen Sport
123 calories, . 5 grams fat, & 30 grams protein (15 g Whey Isolate & 15 grams collagen) 2.25 grams carbs (0 net carbs)
I don’t have the leucine breakdown for this one but I’m sure it’s in between the other two.

The NOW MCT OIL is of course 14 grams of pure dat & 100 calories.

Post workout I plan on taking:

A organic green super drink: I have 2 of these, one has 2 grams carbs & the other one has zero carbs.

1 more scoop of protein & 1 or possibly 2 more tablespoons of MCT oil.

So all in all if I do only 2 tablespoons of MCT oil it would be under 500 calories, 46-60 grams of protein & at most 6 grams carb. Adding a extra tablespoon of MCT oil adds 100 calories.

The reason for the extra tablespoon of oil? If I do only 2 I’m more or less at a 1:1 ratio for fat & protein. My thinking is that since I will be consuming this microrefeed right before & after a intense workout my body is going to utilize the protein rather then converting it into sugar & thus still being in a good ketogenic ratio.

Adding another tablespoon of oil will for sure put me in ketogenic ratio & the extra calories probably won’t hurt.

What I want to achieve by doing this is get a boost so I can have a better workout & aid my body in repairing the damage I just did during my strengh training. & ultimately, I want my body to get back into ketosis & increase autophagy as quick as possible.

I am well aware the protein & specifically leucine will stop autophagy & create a spike in insulin in order to transport the protein into my muscles.

I will only do this as needed, if I feel like I can get through my strength training workout without doing a micro-refeed then I will skip it. I am thinking once I get more fat adapted I might not need it. But like I have said I am listening to my body, if I need to do this everytime I strenghth train then I will do so.

My questions for you guys are:

1. How long do you think the microrefeed will kick me out of ketosis/decrease autophagy & do you think I am on the right track as far as helping my body getting back into Ketosis & reaching my goals.
  2. Would you change anything?
    3 Are there any other supplements you would add? Should I take any away.

I currently only do the spring water with sodium & potassium. But I have been thinking about adding L-Carnitine after reading the following study.

I have also read about how reservratol, green tea & other supplemts that induce autophagy but I am unsure as to when I should take them.

I apreciate you guys taking the time to read my post & I will be forever grateful for any help you can give me.

(Mike W.) #2

How long have you been in ketosis? It sounds like maybe you’re just getting started, WAY overthinking it and should work on getting fat adapted. Also I suggest eating food, not powders.

I’ve done it in the past for long stretches of time but I fell of for about 3 or 4 months. I’ve been pretty strict about it a little over a month or so.

I know I’m not fat adapted, I clearly mentioned that in the post. I agree that whole foods will be better but it’s hard to get the amounts of protein I am shooting for while keeping my colories low & I am in a way cheating with the organic green drinks.

I have thought about maybe replacing some or all of the MCT oil with avocado.

That was yesterday when I broke my fast.

(Mike W.) #5

Most people struggle with strength training when getting fat adapted. It just goes with the territory. Give it 4-6 weeks to get adapted and see if you’re back where you were or showing strength gains. How much protein are you shooting for?

Yes sir I inderstand that but hoping there is something I can do in the meantime to help & thus my idea.

I said that wrong, I am not shooting for any set amount really but if I eat steak/chicken I’ll have to eat a good amount of fiber to be able to digest it properly.

I am doing a water fast & strength training while doing so. My goal is fat loss & muscle preservation but it’s also healing my body. That’s why two of the protein supplements have high amounts pf collagen.

(Candy Lind) #7

Following …