Mmmmm ribeyes ☺

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Wait… I’m eating ribeyes because I “have to” !!! :grinning: Wow ! If that’s the worst thing I have to deal with, I think I’ll be pretty freaking good ! :slight_smile:

Anyway, yesterday I was at Sam’s Club buying 3 big fillets of Salmon. Mmmmm. BBQ’d some last eve, and it was off the hook :wink: …then more for breakfast. Kind of a Salmon freak…

So while I was at Sam’s, I saw that they had huge packs of beef ribeyes… like 15 lbs, for 146. Would have bought them right then, but short on right now. Told myself I’d be back. But figured I’d ask here, if anybody has any better suggestions ? Anywhere to get quality ribeyes, for less than $10 a lb ???

And btw, I know grass fed is better, but I don’t think I can afford it. Same with wild Salmon vs. Farmed. I feel like it’s better to eat “any” Salmon and beef ribeye, than probably lean chicken or pork… Although I’ll be eating that too… even if I just have to load it with butter or olive oil…

(Carl Keller) #2

Check out Aldi’s black angus choice ribeyes if you have one near you. I believe they are around $10/lb and you can buy them individually. I don’t see the point in a monster sized pack if you only save 10 cents per steak… unless they have phenomenal marbling and are graded as prime.

Buy what you can afford and don’t fret if it’s not grass fed. I personally look at the term with scepticism ever since Kerrygold was taken to court over the fact that their cows are fed corn, grain, soy and grass, yet their butter is labeled as grass fed. Most consumers, myself included, assumed their cows were exclusively grass fed. A judge threw the case out and said that as long as the cows were fed grass, at least once in their life, it was not deceptive. I have no evidence that cattle farmers are doing the same but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

I’m squeamish about farm raised salmon every since I read about and watched videos that talk about all the chemicals and antibiotics involved with raising and keeping these fish “healthy”. I’d rather eat less salmon and buy the wild caught stuff when I can. There’s a lot of info on YouTube and the internet about why you should avoid farm raised fish. Here’s one that’s brief and to the point:

(Jim) #3

FWIW I definitely think Prime ribeyes are worth it. I don’t buy them most of the time because they are so expensive. But one of my wife’s clients brought her to the Saturday Blazers playoff game in courtside seats while I stayed home with the kids so I treated myself. A good reverse sear and it was perfection. It’s good to splurge every now and then and Prime steaks are good way to do it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I only buy frozen non farmed fish. Usually Wild Caught Pink Salmon for $5 lb. Aldi, Grocery Outlet are good places if there’s one near you.

Also sometimes you can get standing Rib Roast cheaper than Rib Eye Steaks. Ask the Meat department to cut it into steaks. You don’t have to limit yourself to Rib Eyes either. The whole cow is good cooked in all kinds of ways. Pot Roast, Brisket, Skirt Steak, and T-Bone or Porterhouse. Tougher cuts with connective tissue and facia are good when cooked for long enough to break down and tenderize. Liver, brain, kidney and tongue are excellent and loaded with nutrition. Ox Tail is really fatty and delicious with tendons too. The whole animal is a healthy way of eating. I eat the lean stuff too, and I never have a fat deficiency. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

No ideas, sorry.

I do buy the Angus Chuck Pot Roast at Walmart. It’s only $6/lb. It’s about 24g fat and 19g Protein peer 4oz serving. At my Walmart it’s the one in the black styrofoam. The “generic” in the white foam only lists 5g of fat per serving for the same price

(Paul H) #6

Yep I have gotten some very nice ribeyes at Walmart recently… really tastey cuts…nice marbling…

I’ll say! We have a grocery store Winn-Dixie that sells cheap meat and premium cuts. The cheap ribeyes are so un-fatty they look like sirloin sometimes. Only consolation is maybe they weren’t grain fed to be fattened, if you’re into that type of thing.

Oh, but if someone in the butcher dept mislabels a good one at the cheaper price, I’m all over it!

(Brian) #8

I tend not to go overboard with the whole Kerrygold not being 100% grass fed. Some people are just shocked and abhor the idea that a cow might be fed something other than grass and make butter with the term “grass fed” used.

I’ve been around cows. I have an idea of what cows eat. And I’ve been around farmers that raise cows. They’re not stupid or free with their money. Mostly, cows eat grass anyway. And most farmers will put up hay for winter when the pastures are pretty lean. They’ll supplement with whatever they feel like they need to in order to keep their cows as healthy and productive as possible. If they can just use grass from their own pastures, that’s as cheap as they can get and they’ll do it! They’re not stupid. When they need to add something to the grass or hay, they will, but no more than they need to.

(Scott) #9

Lidl has grass fed beef that is cheap. New store chain here but they are expanding fast.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

Thank you Carl. We don’t have an Aldi’s. And the single or double packed Ribeyes at Sams club are $13 a lb ! So that’s a $3 per lb savings, at least at Sams. I think our WalMart does have Ribeye, for $10 a lb… but they are really hit and miss, as to whether they will have a good one or two out on the shelf. Maybe if I asked the meat person there when they were going to put them out… Or even if they could hold 6 or 8 of them for me ? Might even be able to request some fat ones (thicker, and with less fat trimmed) ? Granted, I might be able to make a few special requests like that at Sams too ?

Well, about farm raised Salmon… I know, it sounds kind of “fishy” right ? :slight_smile: lol Like I say, Id love to be able to afford 10 lbs of wild caught Salmon at a time, but I just cant. I’ve tried the smaller, cheaper wild Pink Salmon, but just don’t prefer it.
Honestly, their are certain things that I just don’t worry about, and that includes, farmed Salmon, non-grass fed beef, and Splenda (sucralose).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

Interesting. Thank you.

(Carl Keller) #12

I’m really not that bothered by eating dairy products or meat that come from non-grass fed animals. But I paid a premium price for Kerrygold so I was naturally disappointed that I was not getting what I thought I was getting. I can buy other brands, save some money and not feel misled.

(Brian) #13

That may speak to my lethargic attitude about Kerrygold prices. In my local stores, Kerrygold isn’t even as expensive as other butters not advertised as grass-fed, organic or anything all that special. But we have gotten used to the taste of Kerrygold. Maybe if I were paying a huge premium, I’d be more excited about it. Even the “cheap” butter here is pretty expensive, and some of it doesn’t taste so good, at least the last time we tried it.

:slight_smile:

I gotta chime in here…
We raise Angus beef cattle…and I grain feed. We grain feed for the last 3-4 months to finish them at a good size and a perfect marble, which in turn makes a better cut of meat IMO. It doesn’t make the beef or butter “better” finishing cattle on grass, unless you are concerned with fat intake… you wont get a decent marble on grass. Funny…its actually worse for the environment as there is more greenhouse gas emissions from grass fed… more land…more water, and more time.
I also get a chuckle out of the labels “black angus” its actually no better than a red Angus or perhaps a Hereford or limousine. They dont taste better…they just are a good easy keeper/foragers and calver.
I would spend less time concerned with grass vs grain and more time on where you purchase your food. Our… or any local small farmer’s “chuck steak” will be better than a Walmart premium cut… hands down.
Sorry had to pipe in on the beef talk.

(Brian) #15

Tee2, you add what you need to (grain) in order to create a nice product. :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #16

Thank you Tee :slightly_smiling_face: I’m the last person to fall for buzzwords, like grass fed, or totally organic anyway. But the stuff you said is exactly why.
I try to skip the hype, and go with the logical, and the obvious.

(Scott) #17

My butcher was telling me that when it gets real hot in the summer cattle will tend to stop eating or reduce eating. So if you want to keep them eating or fatten them up you are going to have to give them some grain. I didn’t fact check him but it sounds plausible.

Good to know! I just started buying some of my meat from a local butcher shop and they get most of their meat from local farms. I have no idea what farming methods are used but from what I’ve eaten so far the quality/taste of the meat is beyond comparison to regular store bought options. Even the smell is different! I’m going to try and work it into our budget for me to start getting most of my meat from there-I think they do beef shares so I need to get some info on that :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #19

Sounds like he’s in somebody’s pocket. :rage:

Sad isn’t it…and so wrong. And the bs around organic. They are all in someone’s pocket. It puts the small farmers who are true to that way of farming out of biz. So many of my farming community is selling off livestock and packing it in. Cant compete with the big dogs that lie.