Mississippi Pot Roast over Caulimash

(AJ HULSEY) #21

I am about to try this recipe for the first time. So, the au jus and ranch packets are ok even though they have corn starch, corn solids, and maltodextrin etc? I haven’t seen any terribly easy substitutes for them, but don’t want to use them since they look like a chemical $hi+ storm.

(Robert Hollinger) #22

I was going to make this tomorrow but had the same question. Are there special Au Jus and ranch packets that are ok? or is the quantity of bad stuff small enough to not matter?

(Robert Hollinger) #23

wow is all i can say. I don’t even think it was a very good cut of meat but the part that I could shred was tasty. and when I paired with the mashed cauliflower and ate it together it was incredible. I’m not sure I made the mashed cauliflower correctly because I’ve never used a blender but it was almost like the meat was sitting on a pool of beurre blanc sauce. and it was relatively easy. no excuse not to make this one again!

notes: I didn’t use the Au Jus because there was too much bad stuff in it. I was going to try pulling some juice out and adding some xantham gum but it was fine the way it was. I didn’t know how much pickle juice to use so I just dumped until about 1/3 of the roast was under liquid. I also used the garlic and herb Kerigold and melted it in the fry pan that I seared the roast in. (seared in butter of course)

UPDATE: After it continued to cook after we ate, the tougher chunk of meat was completely shreddable. Going to enjoy my lunches at work this week. I think I’ll need to make some coconut flour drop biscuits to eat with it :slight_smile:

(Robert Hollinger) #24

ok my son just tried this and he nailed it. He said it tastes like philadelphia cheesesteak. I think he’s right and why this was so flipping tasty!

(matt ) #25

It should be fork tender when its done. I do 90 minutes in the instant pot (I think 75 is recommended) and its fall apart tender.

I used the au jus and ranch packets this time. There is crap in them but I am not going to stress over it.

The pepperoncini are the key to the dish I think. Well honestly its the vinegar in the juice doing all the great work.

(Athena) #26

Chuck roast is on sale at my market this week and I want to make this. I have some homemade Ranch, so that’s good, but I do wonder what to substitute for the au jus. I have a packet lying around because I used to make this before I went Keto. The ingredients are not what I want to be eating now.

(matt ) #27

Maybe just some broth? I have made it without the packaged au jus and no one complained.

(Athena) #28

Thanks @matt, I’ll try that, then.

(matt ) #29

The pepperoncinis are the key anyways…don’t skimp on those :slight_smile:

(matt ) #30

Here are some pics.

(Athena) #31

Wow, this turned out fantastic! So good!

(Jane Reed) #32

I’ve tried this twice and wasn’t impressed by the flavor. Was impressed by the carbs in the dry package mixes. It’s a good idea but, in future, I’ll stick to whole dry herbs. I think i’m about done with cauliflower, too. To make it taste any good you have to add all sorts of things to it which brings the carb count per serving a little to high for me.

(Athena) #33

Btw, those are garlicky biscuits and garlic-almond green beans. So yummy!

@Buttonwillow, I didn’t use any packets! I make my own dry ranch mix that I used, and skipped the au jus. I’m sure the meat I prepared had no more than 1 carb per serving, if that.