Mild tasting alcohol?

Do you guys know any mild tasting not bitter type of keto alcohol? I tried jim bean and it was horrible

(John) #2

If you are looking for a whiskey, I find Tin Cup to be fairly smooth tasting.

I used to hate bourbon until I realized I needed to move up the price spectrum a bit. Woodford Reserve is good, as is 1792 Small Batch. I really like the Four Roses Small Batch. Maker’s Mark and Maker’s 46 are good, too. Maker’s Mark was the first “better” bourbon I tried where I thought - “Oh, this is really good.”

Many whiskeys benefit from adding a splash of water, or maybe drink them on the rocks so that the ice dilutes them a bit.

I also like dark rums. Zaya is a tasty one - reminds me of a vanilla milk shake.

Otherwise, the Grey Goose vodkas are good if you are looking for a white liquor.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Keto alcohol? There is no such thing.

That understood, the so-called ‘new style’ gins mix very well with citrus flavoured soda water. My favourite is Tanqueray Rangpur in grapefruit soda water.

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Vodka. Good vodka is nearly flavorless.

Cheap vodka is vile tasting, but a decent brand like Tito’s is just under $20. It holds up well against vodka at 3x the price.

My recommendation is to avoid alchohol altogether, but if that makes you uncomfortable in a social situation, vodka is an option. Just make sure the mixer is carb free.

(Ken) #5

One way to mellow the harsh taste of inexpensive alcohol is to run it one or more times through a charcoal filter pitcher. Often it is the impurities that cause the harsh taste. Save a little of the original and compare the taste after each filtering, you’ll be surprised.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

@240lbfatloss and consider the small amount of ethanol lost to the charcoal as an offering to the gods of alcohol. :wink:

(Ken) #7

Yeah, kinda like the “Angel’s Share” when aging whisky…

(PSackmann) #8

I actually prefer to taste my alcohol, so often turn to straight tequila. If you can find a restaurant or bar that serves a doble reposado (twice barrel aged and only sold in barrels), you will be amazed at the flavor variations. In a pinch, there are some that are aged in former whiskey barrels that can be very nice. Stay away from anything that is flavored, that’s a way to hide inferior alcohol and charge a premium.

I must try that one, it sounds heavenly

(PSackmann) #9

Do you use a Brita filter for this? I could see that

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Maybe I’m too cautious. But I don’t use any plastic in contact with 40% or higher that was not designed specifically for alcohol. I won’t even purchase 40% bottled in plastic, even though those bottles have been specifically designed for it. Just don’t trust it. Ethanol is a very powerful solvent at 40% and I suspect that kitchen grade plastics will dissolve in it given sufficient time. There are plenty of places to purchase alcohol-specific utensils. For me, a Brita filter would be a one-time only and discard. A simple alternative is a paper coffee filter filled with activated charcoal granuals. Pour the alcohol through the charcoal slowly. If you’re concerned about chemicals in the paper leaching out, use a ‘natural bamboo’ filter. Or you could buy a purpose built charcoal filter from any wine/beer/distillation supply store.

(PSackmann) #11

Thanks Michael @amwassil, I normally use unbleached coffee filters and have a supply of muslin as well that could work in a pinch. Good to know if I ever need to purify some less expensive alcohol before flavoring it–I don’t buy pre-flavored alcohols as I fear they’re just a way to hide sub-par spirits.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Plain coffee filters work fine. When I distilled, I always poured the distillate through a plain coffee filter to remove any particles from the distillate.

(Joey) #13

Yup … what @goohsmom said.

When I want a stiff shot of something after dinner, it tends to be a 1 oz salted-rim jigger of tequila, having first dipped the rim in lime juice before dredging it in the salt.

Well worth sipping that slowly along with a few forkfuls of my home-made fermented kimchi. Maybe a few macadamia nuts for sport.

Ooooh. Aaaah.

(Ken) #14

Plastic has to be in contact with alcohol for a period of time before the plastic starts to degrade. If you run it through the filter and decant it right back into glass you’ll be fine.

(Marianne) #15

Brut champagne; love it.

I also have a pre-keto recipe for imitation Bailey’s Irish Creme. I bet it’s easily adaptable to keto; I am going to try it and just use more heavy cream and steevia instead of the sweetened condensed milk.

1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz.
1 carton heavy cream, 8oz.
2 Tbs. Hershey’s syrup (I thought I would just use some cocoa powder)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1-2/3 c. whiskey (Canadian Club or Black Velvet)

Low rye or wheated bourbons will have a mild sweet taste. Rye adds spiciness to whiskey.

As stated above, Maker’s 46 is pretty sweet and not harsh. Some other whiskeys I’d suggest would be Buffalo Trace bourbon, Elmer T. Lee, and Beam Suntory Toki.

I’m not sure if you’re looking for bourbon-type alcohol or gin, vodka, tequila types. Hope it helps.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

I know this topic has been dormant for a while. None the less I thought I’d share a couple more pleasantries.

Tanqueray Rangpur and Fresca
Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla and Zero Sprite

Both Fresca and Zero Sprite contain aspartame, so if that’s an issue, substitute grapefruit or lemon flavoured sparkling waters respectively. I mentioned Rangpur and grapefruit water above, but thought I’d mention Fresca as well. Both these two combos work really well together in my opinion. In fact Flor de Sevilla is so mild you can drink it straight.

(Bob M) #18

Ah, all real “men” (or “women”) drink their gin straight. No rocks either, just as “Nature” (if “Nature” could figure out how to make alcohol) intended!

:wink:

This is my current favorite gin:

My wife mixes it too. Though I drink my straight up, with olives.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

I’m drinking the last of my Flor de Sevilla straight as I write, having no Zero Sprite nor lemon soda on hand. As for London Dry gins, not so much for me. If that makes me less of a man, so be it. :crazy_face:

(Bob M) #20

Well, I “cut my teeth” for a while on things like Talisker and Ardbeg and Lagavulin, and all kinds of scotch. Also, various tequilas (the fancier ones, aged a while sometimes).

But those aren’t “mild tasting” by any stretch.

And I try to keep myself to one drink per week, sometimes two, one per Saturday and one Sunday. So, I have some scotch in my cabinet that’s been there a long while.