Middle Aged Brits not in good condition

(ianrobo) #1

This has been put around today (obviously after Xmas excesses) and the message is clear (and correct)

Prof Chris Oliver
@CyclingSurgeon
Eight in 10 middle-aged Britons ‘are overweight or exercise too little’

However when you read the piece nothing about diet as such and this comment from Diabetes UK

“Type 2 diabetes can lead to serious complications such as amputation, blindness, heart attack, stroke and kidney disease. We know how hard it is to change the habits of a lifetime, but we want people to seek the help they need to lose weight, stop smoking and take more exercise.”

and what do they suggest as better eating eh ? take a guess ?

Starchy foods
Range of starchy foodsPotatoes, rice, pasta, bread, chapattis, naan and plantain all contain carbohydrate, which is broken down into glucose and used by your cells as fuel. Better options of starchy foods – such as wholegrain bread, wholewheat pasta and basmati, brown or wild rice – contain more fibre, which helps to keep your digestive system working well. They are generally more slowly absorbed (that is, they have a lower glycaemic index, or GI), keeping you feeling fuller for longer.

Try to include some starchy foods every day.

Try:

two slices of multigrain toast with a scraping of spread and Marmite or peanut butter
rice, pasta or noodles in risottos, salads or stir-fries
potatoes any way you like – but don’t fry them – with the skin left on for valuable fibre. Choose low-fat toppings, such as cottage cheese or beans
baked sweet potato, with the skin left on for added fibre
boiled cassava, flavoured with chilli and lemon

then of course we have this which is going to do more harm than good and massively increase inflammation

Foods high in fat and sugar
Food high i_n fat and sugar food groupYou can enjoy food from this group as an occasional treat in a balanced diet, but remember that sugary foods and drinks will add extra calories – and sugary drinks will raise blood glucose – so opt for diet/light or low-calorie alternatives. Or choose water – it’s calorie free!_
Fat is high in calories, so try to reduce the amount of oil or butter you use in cooking. Remember to use unsaturated oils, such as sunflower, rapeseed or olive oil, as these types are better for your heart.

How often?
The less often, the better.

I do wish that they would stop trying to tie exercise and obesity together though.

(bulkbiker) #3

as well as carbs and health…

(ianrobo) #4

I know what you mean Daisy and I am never going to defend CICO at all.

However people are far too lazy in the modern culture. Take the car to the shops with are 500M away, rather take the lifts than the stairs. Of course exercise is NOTHING to do with T2D but it is to do with the condition of the heart, which after all is just a muscle and needs regular exercise like any muscle of the body.

The problem is the messages are so mixed people think unfit = T2D

Whereas the true cause is too many carbs = more inflammation = T2D & heart disease & cancer

Now if you cut down the carbs AND exercise that helps with all three but thats not the message at all Reading Diabetes UK is so soul destroying as to what they offer.

I think they need to be careful with the advice, in terms of sequence of healing. First comes healing with food, to reduce inflammation and joint pain. Then continued healing with food, to reduce weight, sufficient for exercise. And then comes the healing with exercise.

(ianrobo) #6

But they don’t even do the first one so it all falls over there

Yep, I hear you. The question though then becomes…why? Why don’t they do the first part? That will lead to the root cause, and discovering the solution for the problem.

(ianrobo) #8

because to say that carbs fuel your blood sugar and therefore cause T2B would of course make the last 40 years dogma a lie … it would also destroy the processed food industry etc.

(Guardian of the bacon) #9

One can dream can’t he?

(ianrobo) #10

oh yeah mate I wished, would love to see it as it would bring real food and organic food prices down due to more supply IMHO.

BTW on a tangent take a read of this thread on twitter

Tim Noakes
@ProfTimNoakes
.@thedietcoach77 @DaveKeto @EckEckDragon @wyadvd If so why does the liver overproduce glucose in face of high insulin in T2DM?

What I think is funny is that they say avoid sugar, but eat “starchy carbs”. They are pretty much the same thing.

(ianrobo) #12

frankly mate the whole thing is total and utter bollox isn’t it. What they suggest would make me fat, I am in no doubt of that and for others it would increase their reliance on medicine and drugs.

You have a sugar illness and get told to eat sugar, for me that should be challenged in court for criminal neglect.

I’m one of those unhealthy Brits so really appreciate having allies to inspire my break out from this food hell. I’ve already binned all the remaining carbs n had my last alcoholic drink. Seeking inspiration for surviving the bread or chip based staff canteen and that after work drink while i make dinner.