Mid-Back Pain During EF

(Annette) #1

I just completed a 150-hour water fast with salt and potassium. After probably 4 days, my back (just below my bra) would start to really pain me. I had this same experience years ago when juice fasting. It seems way too high to be my kidneys or even my small intestine.

Most days I would have it for a couple of hours and it would go away. Today I have had it for several hours. I decided to break my fast to see if that would help. Nope. I can’t hold any position very long because of the pain.

A couple of months ago I spoke with one of the IDM counselors who said she had never heard of such a thing.

I am hesitant to head to a doctor since there’s no way I’d do medication.

Any ideas of what it could be and what I can do to ease/prevent it?

Many thanks.

Pancreatitis??
Just a thought.
It can caused referred pain through to your back.
I hope not though.

(Bunny) #3

A possibility?

You and Your Gallbladder
What are the most common problems with the gallbladder?

Most people have heard of gallstones, and understand them to be painful, potentially dangerous, and extremely disruptive to one’s digestion. Gallstones are certainly one of the better known gallbladder ailments, and they are generally caused by a lack of bile.

A gallstone can obstruct the bile duct and prevent bile from reaching the intestines, causing difficulty digesting fat and fat-soluble vitamins, as well as the possibility of infections in the blocked gallbladder.

The gallbladder’s bile duct can become irritated by gallstones or fat buildup, and this can in turn irritate the phrenic nerve. Phrenic nerve irritation most often causes pain in the right shoulder and right side of the neck, but the severity and reach of the pain varies greatly.

Some people experience pain as far as in their right-side extremities; many experience headaches or pain under the right scapula (shoulder blade).

The phrenic nerve originates on the right side of the neck, and runs down the right side, embedding into the soft tissue near the gallbladder. For this reason, ailments of the gallbladder, bile duct, and liver can all affect the nerve and result in pain farther up the body. …More

Spasms and twitches
(Annette) #4

I would think pancreatitis would have symptoms more often than several years apart. My juice fast was more than six years ago. I guess it’s something to think about. Thank you.

(Rob) #5

Kidneys are pretty high up…

Unknown

(Roxanne) #6

Saw a thread not too long ago talking about pain during longer fasts, and it was suggested that it was due to the release of toxins…but I can’t seem to find that thread now…you might want to search for it.

(Roxanne) #7

Found it! Pain in back hips and butt at day 4 of extendedfast

(Allie) #8

That’s where I get kidney pain.

(Annette) #9

This is it, apparently. I was walking with a nurse yesterday and asked where my kidneys are. She put her finger right on my pain. I thought they were lower. Anyway, THANK YOU to all for your suggestions.