Microbiome

science

(Beth) #1

I would love to better understand the effect of eating keto on the microbiome. It seems to be a hot research topic as it relates to autoimmunity & inflammation. Since people on a keto lifestyle often notice a reduction in inflammation and remission of their autoimmune problems, could keto be positively changing the microbiome? The part that confuses me is that a robust, healthy microbiome is also associated with having as much variety, particularly of indigestible plant fibers, as possible but we may not be eating as much plant variety due to sugars and high carb content in some veggies. I theorize that some folks with autoimmune issues (myself included) have improved perhaps because eating LCHF/Keto no longer feeds more pathogenic microbes that may be overgrowing. It would be interesting to know if anyone in this forum has info or opinions on this topic.

(Ross) #2

Kimchi & Sepsis

Here’s an interesting one I heard last week on NPR.

Scientists in the U.S. and India have found an inexpensive treatment that could possibly save hundreds of thousands of newborns each year.

And it turns out, the secret weapon was sitting in Asian kitchens all along: probiotic bacteria that are common in kimchi, pickles and other fermented vegetables.

(Beth) #3

Thanks for the article! Fascinating!

(Khara) #4

Well, I’m not sure how much help this will be… I listen to audio books and recently heard a bit about this topic but didn’t fully absorb it. I have recently listened to both Jason Fung’s Obesity Code and Robb Wolf’s Wired to Eat. You might find some info if you look in to these guys. Sorry I can’t be more specific. If I run into it again, I’ll add to this post.

(Beth) #5

Thanks Khara!

(Norma Laming) #6

I would love to know this too. I want to know what happens if I eat ZC for several weeks. Do I lose the bacteria in my gut tha I have so carefully been trying to foster?

I was given quite a lot of low dose antibiotic syrup as a child in the 60’s for various reasons so my gut received an assault fairly early on, that won’t have helped me much. Also my childhood was quite stressful, which will have affected my microbiome, too. This subject interests me very much.