Micro Filter French Press

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

I generally now drink cold brewed coffee. Before that I drank French Press coffee for many years. I still drink it in preference to drip and pour over when I don’t have time for my usual coffee prep in the morning. Or if I get a hankering for coffee in the afternoon. So I was much interested when I first heard about the new so-called improved micro-filtered French Press pots.

I bought one of these. Aside from being a Vancouver business, Espro claims to have invented the double, micro-filtered French press. If so, they are no longer the only show in town although they have 4 of the top 5 reviewed here and 3 of the top 10 reviewed here, including top place.

I’m not hustling Espro. I’m just another satisfied customer. But if you like French Press coffee and are still using one of the old style press pots, you really ought to try one of the new double micro-filtered pots. The biggest complaint I’ve read about them is that because there are no grounds in the cup the fullest flavour and mouthfeel of the original pot design does not come through. I think that’s a damn good feature! And I’ve filtered enough coffee grounds through my teeth to know.

For anyone interested, I think I have solved this little issue by increasing brew time and what I call the ‘double press’ technique. I plunge first almost to the bottom, draw the plunger back up to the top, then plunge a second time all the way to the bottom.

Another big advantage is that once you press the double micro-filter to the bottom of the pot, the grounds are separated more or less completely from the coffee. Extraction ceases immediately. That means you can leave the coffee in the pot instead of pouring if off the gounds. Most of the larger capacity pots are attractive enough to set out on the dining table, for example, if you’re having a couple friends over for a cuppa. Not that I do much of that. None-the-less all that shiny stainless steel looks very nice.

(Allie) #2

I got, for Christmas from my brother, an Aeropress and I have to say, it makes the BEST coffee. I have used it every day since, in fact my brother decided to get himself one too as I love it so much :smiley:

(Bob M) #3

I really liked the Aeropress…when I had one. I found that cold brew is easier for my particular lifestyle.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #4

Do you do a finer grind with this press? I just use an el-cheapo IKEA press with a coarse grind, cooler water (than boiling) and a longer steeping time for my preferred taste. TBH I’d have to have good reason to spend 10X on another press (that’s just because I’m a tight arse :smile:)

(Carol E. ) #5

Thank you for the post. It is a lovely looking press. :grinning:

What has your experience been with insulation/keeping warm?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

The large Espro I bought is double-walled vacuum, although the top is not. The top has inner and outer lids, but no vacuum. I usually preheat the pot with boiling water before I make the coffee. I’ve never given it a long term test, but it keeps the coffee piping hot for the hour it takes me to drink it all. In fact, because it keeps the coffee so hot, I’ve started brewing at 185 ℉ rather than 200 ℉.