Mercola on ketosis cycling (among other things)

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #1

I’ve only had time to skim read this, but it looks kind of interesting.

I know Mercola has his fans and also detractors, and I can never quite make up my mind about him, but he’s usually interesting. See what you think.

(eat more) #2

i tried to read it…asprey bugs me so much i just couldn’t :joy:

Glad I’m not the only one! :grimacing:

(Todd Allen) #4

structured water?!? Hard to take that seriously with out a very detailed explanation.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

He lost me at “mitochondria are semiconductors”.

Not sure he understands either electronics or biology as well as he’d like us to believe.

(Jo Lo) #6

Asprey is an entrepreneur and businessman (Wikipedia). Recently he got $9 million to expand his company. He has a few degrees, but in what? His work experience is IT and computing. So much of his stuff is unsupported, pushed by the persuasive skills of a gifted salesman.

And Mercola is listening to (and promoting) what he says about health? What about giving some time to all the qualified people out there, who are not trying to cash in…?

(eat more) #7

i think mercola says some koo-koo things too so maybe better that he doesn’t lol

i sort of put mercola and dr oz in the same camp…

(Michelle) #8

@mikki and @syd - Aspry bugs the crap out of me too.

(betsy.rome) #9

BS or science?
Dr. Mercola says carb / ketosis cycling is better than continuous ketosis:

“You actually need to have days where you eat more net carbs and more protein, especially with strength training, to prevent sarcopenia. After a day or two, you then cycle back into nutritional ketosis. Typically, this is done once a week. By periodically pulsing higher carb intakes, consuming, say, 100 or 150 grams of carbs, opposed to 20 to 50 grams per day, your ketone levels will dramatically increase and your blood sugar will drop.”
This seems to contradict everything our keto WOE says. Who’s right?

(eat more) #10

well this seems like a short-sighted comment on mercola’s part…sarcopenia is age induced muscle loss not diet induced muscle loss…what if a 22 year old is reading it and doesn’t bother to look up what sacropenia actually is? LOL

muscle loss doesn’t occur from lack of carbs…it occurs from overall intake being too low for long periods of time.
the bit about “especially with strength training” is just silly…strength training increases muscle and bone density regardless of how many carbs you ingest

he is basically talking about cycling intake but doesn’t actually say that…you can cycle intake while still keeping carbs low…like feast/fast or just high/low days (which happens naturally for a lot of ppl)

i think you can tell from my post who I think isn’t right :joy:

(Richard Morris) #11

And me. His claim to fame is during the gogo dotcom boom when even a sock puppet could get a venture round, he was a software executive.

I was a software executive. That doesn’t impress me. His attempt to trade off that history by calling his products “upgraded” because people upgrade software, I find patronizing.

I would like to hear the story of his parents work on the Manhattan project tho.