Melanie Miller inspired me - now what?

(Ben Davis) #1

Wasn’t sure whether to put this in the Activism category as well, but I’m going to start here since the latest episode motivated me to write this.I actually emailed Ivor Cummins directly a few minutes ago and I’ll paste my email below which is pretty much what I want to ask those here for direction:

I am an engineering problem solver like you, my career being nearly 20 years in IT. Technical problem solving is my primary skill. I have found myself in conversations wondering out loud, “I spend so much time and energy solving complex technical problems that won’t amount to a hill of beans next week. We all know we’re going to die some day - why not focus my talents on solving disease and trying our best not to die nor let our loved ones die?” Would it make sense for those with those skills to stop “wasting” them on making widget company XYZ run a little more smoothly and start using them to help people be healthier and live longer lives?

I have been discovering your story through Jimmy Moore, 2 Keto Dudes, Twitter, and YouTube and realize you did what I have been thinking about. I understand that you went from a engineering career to what you do now, but I have yet to find the detail of how you did it. Can you share how you went about changing careers? Specifically, did you get a medical degree? How did you manage your income during the transition? And what is your primary source of income now? It is not clear to me if you are a doctor treating patients, a public speaker, or something else I’m not aware of.

I am very passionate on what LCHF Ketogenic diets can do and am curious if my skills and passion could lead to a career change that could also continue to provide the level of income I am used to now.

Thanks so much for anything you feel comfortable sharing and helping me discern this pull that has been placed on my heart.

Along with that, more specifically to the podcast, I went to www.healclinics.com and found some mentions of their coaches for people who do not require medical treatment, but no information about becoming a coach. What does that involve? I doubt it is something I could use to replace my current income, but it is something to at least look into.

@richard and @carl - are you still software programmers or have you been able to support yourselves with 2Keto activities? I know Jimmy Moore does this full time, but he’s got a lot of advertisers behind him to make his thing happen I’m sure.

I really find myself talking about Keto a lot due to my 30 pound weight loss that everyone I see notices. My wife is getting really sick of hearing about it, but people want to know what I’ve been doing and if “evangelizing” about it can help them, I’ll do it all day long. Just today a friend at work just got done reading Keto Clarity that I recommended and she’s starting it immediately.

So any advice on, particularly, making a living off of being a public Keto figure? I can do the presentation and speaking thing - that’s definitely something I can do. But I have no idea how to make a living doing this. Thanks all for ideas!

(Tom Seest) #2

Heal Clinics will be at KetoFest, so I’m hoping there will be some further clarification on this after KetoFest. I know some of the moderators and admins will be attending, and hopefully; they can get some clarification as well.

(carl) #3

@Bendy22, let me introduce you to Melanie and she’ll get you started. In my case, I was already pseudo celebrity in the software world, which is full of metabolically deranged people. I started the podcast with @richard as a commitment device and educational journey. My main source of income is still software development and ad revenue from my developer podcast, .NET Rocks, but that msy change. I’m not forcing anything, just letting it happen.

(Becky) #4
 Yes, as I enroll family, friends, colleagues and a few strangers, in the Keto lifestyle, I keep getting feedback that because of the changes they have made with my support, they want me to coach Keto professionally.

When I counter with the fact that I benefit from Keto freely and intend to share it freely, they point out that in not doing it professionally, I limit the number of people who might benefit from speaking engagements or the chance to schedule support opportunities, etc.

So I would also be interested in learning how to take my current career skills, educator, coach and advisor and use it to support spreading Keto to the world! Channeling Pinky and the Brain!