Meeting with a nutritionist

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #1

In about 6 weeks I’ll be meeting with a nutritionist (it was the soonest they could get me in as a new patient).

By then I’ll have been eating keto for about 10 months. I’ll also have had 2 sets of lab work done, and hopefully an RMR and DEXA scan. I plan to show the macros I’ve been eating, along with some meal samples and BG/BK readings.

Any advice for questions to ask, etc?

(Running from stupidity) #2

Why did you make the appointment?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

Trying to find a way to keep my GKI close to/under 1 (cancer-fighting) and not lose weight.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I don’t have any suggestions but I wish you the best in your battle with cancer. :cowboy_hat_face:

Depending on which state you are in, the title of “nutritionist” may be meaningless:

“In the US, the title “nutritionist” is not as regulated as “dietitian,” and tends to have a broader, more general meaning. The title is not generally protected, meaning that it can be used by anyone, unlike “doctor”, for instance, which requires proof of qualifications. Nutritionists typically do not have any professional training, and therefore, should not be involved in the diagnosis and treatment of any diseases.”

So be sure to check on the qualifications of whomever you are seeing.

(Alec) #6

Only 1 question: Do you understand what a ketogenic diet is and how it works?

If the answer is no, I would run a mile.

(Dawn O Miller) #7

You might want to do your research on this nutritionist’s background and make sure he/she is pro-Keto for cancer treatment. Unfortunately it’s been my experience that majority of nutritionist/dietitians are against Keto with the exception for treatment for epilepsy, and regrettably tend to discourage patients from doing Keto for any other reason.

Mariam Kalamian is a pro-keto for cancer nutritionist who wrote the book Keto for Cancer, she might be able to help you if you want to seek her services.

(Carl Keller) #8

I also wish you well, Rebecca. :slight_smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

The nutritionist is through my doctor’s office (they are party of the medical group, and the office is where my primary care doctor is)

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #10

I asked the doctor to refer me to someone who knows about the ketogenic diet.

(Windmill Tilter) #11

@Karim_Wassef just came off a 19 day fast, and he’s been having the opposite problem. He’s had a bit of challenge raising his GKI back up. It’s been down around 0.5 for weeks. He’s also been tracking his GKI 4-5 times per day for a few months, so he may have seen patterns that most haven’t.

@Karim_Wassef, do you have any thoughts on keeping GKI low while maintaining body fat?

(Karim Wassef) #12

Fat fasting with glucose suppressors and ketone enhancers come to mind…

Basically:

1. Fast but consume fat… especially saturated fats like ghee, coconut cream and MCT, EVOO. Water, salts and micronutrients (vitamins)

2. ACV is a natural glucose suppressor. Caffeine and green tea are natural ketone promoters. I supplemented with Theanine that comes from green tea.

3. I found Leucine and Carnitine to enhance ketosis. It may be my n=1

4. Once you’re at GKI < 1, start to consume just enough protein in addition to the above to stay there without losing weight. The trick is to avoid lean protein… always have fat with the protein. You can eat green cruciferous veggies. I added broccoli sprouts for the added micronutrients.

5. Stay moderately active. GKI<1 is generally autophagy and without protein and movement, you’ll lose weight.

That works for me, but the key is to measure your body’s reaction to each stimulus and record it to learn more about your body.

Hope my experience helps.

(Windmill Tilter) #13

That makes sense!

When you say “lose weight” (bolded in the quote) presumably you mean losing lean mass? So maybe the question for a nutritionist is “what is the optimal amount of protein to meet that minimal threshold of lean mass preservation without undermining autophagy”? Is that right?

(Cristian Lopez) #14

Reaserch who “Logan Sneed” is, and are you trying to promote autophagy? Because I’m absolutely well informed around that?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #15

Yes, I’m looking for autophagy.

However I don’t want to lose any weight. I am thinking of trying to find some time for simple exercise - increase in muscle would be good.

(Karim Wassef) #16

General rule is 0.7g / lb of lean mass…

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #17

I’ve been averaging 60-65g of protein. Rarely it’s under, and occasionally it’s over. Current weight is approx 116

The macros are just for my OMAD. They don’t count the flaxseed oil or MCT oil I have during the day.

(Karim Wassef) #18

the 0.7g/lean lb is a minimum and goes up with age. Do you know your body fat%?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #19

No, I don’t. Hoping to have a DEXA scan soon to determine things like that.

(Karim Wassef) #20

if it’s 30%, then lean would be 81lb and assuming more the minimum (~1lb/lean), then 80g would be about right.

do you know how to plot in excel? I’m curious about your GKI distribution (y-axis) as a function of carbs+Pro/2 (x-axis)