Meeting my new pcp tomorrow

(Tim Cee) #1

Should I tell him I like to do extended fasts between a high animal fat diet? Is there research I can show him, especially about fasting? Or should I just smile and nod?

(Bob M) #2

I’d go in with the knowledge that what you’re doing is most likely not going to win him over. I’d kick back for at least a while. If you improve now or in the future, and he asks, then maybe a conversation is good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

You might be surprised. I walked into my new doctor’s office (after moving to this area), and was pleasantly surprised when I told him I was on a ketogenic diet, and he said, “Good!”

(Tim Cee) #4

Yah. It seems like most people get a look on their face like I am bragging about my tropical ocean front property in North Dakota. It’s frustrating because I have this medicine that 80% of my fellow citizens would find extremely beneficial, but nobody’s willing to take it as directed—metaphorically speaking. I just wish all my friends could get better health.

(Bob M) #5

I had to go to a doctor about an hour from where I work because in my town, none of the doctors support low carb. Cate Shanahan was the only one, and she left.

Dr. Cate:

I’m thinking of going back to my town, as it’s too far to go to get to someone who understands keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

If you’re interested, I could provide you with the name of my doctor. I believe he is still taking patients. On the other hand, you might find it too hard to get to him from where you are.

(Tim Cee) #7

I’m moving from one dr to another in the same local medical group because keto/if/ef made things tedious with my previous provider. He kept trying to convince me fasting more than 16 hrs is dangerous. It became a huge distraction from being able to get legitimate advice from within his lane. He kept giving me handouts from the official nutritional guidelines that were outrageous in the level of ignorance. On one occasion, a supervisor was called in to sternly warn me, “you CANNOT fast.” And we all know bumble bees can’t fly. The competing company is a lot more expensive. I used to think clinicians were scientists. I’ve come to suspect that they are basically technicians who look a cluster of indicators up in a table and follow an official protocol. If the patient doesn’t improve, it’s assumed they didn’t follow the directions. It seems useless to prod, but can somebody please believe their eyes instead of their books!

But, in pharmaceuticals and surgery, these are the folks I might need someday. It would be nice to keep things friendly.

(Tim Cee) #8

I’m a we bit far from CT. I am near Albany Oregon.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Even if you were in Albany, New York, you probably still wouldn’t want to come all the way over here, lol!

(Bob M) #10

Where is he?

(Laurie) #11

I lived in Albany, Oregon, for 6 months. 20 years ago. Well well.

I’d shut my mouth unless they’re a functional med doc and you know they think outside the mainstream or unless they’re a DO.

It’s quite the shocking revelation. We are raised to believe medicine is an evidence based practice that improves with time but it isn’t, it’s a just an arm of the pharmaceutical industry. .

(Tim Cee) #14

Had a nice visit. Didn’t mention keto at all. I plan to keep it that way unless he asks.

(Bob M) #15

My opinion is that they don’t get any teaching about nutrition, and the teaching they do get is what we all got: carbs are important; 5 a day! (or whatever they are up to now); low fat; saturated fat is bad.

It takes someone opening their eyes (a la Dr. Unwin in the UK, who was about to retire until someone came in who lost a ton of weight and got off medications) or they try it themselves/do their own research (a la Dr. Tro).

Otherwise, they’re stuck in the same paradigm.

(UsedToBeT2D) #16

I’d just keep quiet, get what you need, and disregard the standard advice if you disagree. After you get to know the new doctor, then decide.

Although I disagree with him on a ton of stuff, I like Ken Berry’s take on that, your doctor is your CONSULTANT! Not the other way around!

I was on a waiting list for a functional medicine MD in town. My normal doctor was talking to me about stomach surgery as a treatment for some recent weight gain. I got a call from the functional practice and my wait was over. I took blood results and X-rays and questions. I learnt a new thing about monocytes on a blood cell count. But they interpreted my fasting insulin of 12 as ‘normal’ and HbA1c of 5.9 as normal. Then, like my standard doc tried to match my symptoms to pharmaceuticals, this functional medicine doctor tried to match them to supplements. I’ll keep looking. At least my standard doctor went along with my blood monitoring test requests. The clincher was there was no discussion of nutrition from the new doctor.

(Bob M) #19

That HbA1c is potentially problematic. I’d like to see a 2-hour Kraft test with insulin and blood sugar.

As for fasting insulin, that’s a tough one. I see people saying “if your insulin is over X, you’re insulin resistant!”, or you’re unhealthy, and X is usually small, under 10.

But my fasting (12+ hour) insulin has ranged from 3.8 to 33, about 10x different. Why? No idea. Got that 33 while my HbA1c went DOWN.

A one-time reading of 12 isn’t a big deal, in my opinion.