Meat trays win

(Kate) #1

Last night we had a steak at the local hotel and bought $20 worth of meat raffle tickets. Came away with 2 trays. My family will be eating well next week

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

Niiiiiice!

Congrats!

(Christopher Bingel) #4

Let me know when I can come help you take care of that, I’ll bring the cauliflower mash and roasted Brussels sprouts!

(Sophie) #5

That’s Awesome! I wish they’d do something like this in my neck of the woods. All we have here is turkey shoots in the fall…so redneck. :roll_eyes:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #6

Nice! I’m Aussie and my wife’s Canadian. She’s always gotten a good laugh over the meat tray raffles at the pub…she says it’s one of the most bizarre things about Aussie culture she’s ever seen!

Happy eating!

(Kate) #7

It is a bit weird isn’t it? They don’t do it as much in Sydney these days I’ve noticed but since we have moved up the coast they seem to do them everywhere still.

(Kate) #8

I make a mean cabbage bacon usually to go with my roasts along with cauli mash. My family always says what are we having with the cabbage bacon? They don’t care which meat goes with it as long as they get the cabbage :bacon:.

(Christopher Bingel) #9

cabbage bacon? smoked and fried cabbage? Inquiring minds want to know!

(Kate) #10

Cabbage bacon
I just winged it one day and this has become a family favourite.

I chop up a small amount of red onion and zucchini (maybe half a small onion and 1/3 of a zucchini (into cubes). I used to do more but it isn’t really needed except to add taste). I fry them in butter with 2 slices of chopped bacon (Australian bacon with the loin and tail so probably more if you are using American style bacon). I use salted butter and use more or less butter depending on whether we are trying to lose body fat or not. Once they are halfway cooked, I add cabbage on top and let it cook down a bit before stirring ( you can add a lid at this stage to steam a bit if pressed for time). Then I add lots of pink salt and pepper and another big lob of butter and cook until cabbage is done. Brussel sprouts (sliced) are sometimes added at the same time as the the cabbage or the same in place of cabbage. My whole family has come across to Keto (not much choice at first because I am the cook off the family). This was one of the first dishes that they all enjoyed. It works well with roasted meat especially pork belly.