Meat Smoker

(Louise ) #1

I was lucky enough to receive a meat smoker as a Christmas gift. So far, I have smoked: breast turkey roll, bacon and salmon.

My attempt at salmon was to do more smoked salmon than baked salmon, but it still was delicious.

The bacon…mmmm bacon, as per @richard’s recipe is always a winner.

The turkey roll was delicious, bought from Aldi and came pre-stuffed.

All in all, can’t wait to keep trying some new recipes!

(Rebecca) #2

That looks delicious.

(John) #3

I did a turkey last night myself, they were cheap right after Christmas so I have like 4 more. Better smoked than fried or baked. Pork shoulder is really easy and SO delicious.

That bacon looks very good.

Wowza!! Noice!

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #5

I was lucky to receive a Kamado Joe for Christmas.

I’m having fun with slow and low smoking too. Food is delicious coming out of the charcoal and wood.

(Danielle) #6

I also got one for Xmas. I have smoked a chicken and currently have a pork shoulder in the smoker to do pulled pork.

Will post a photo once its finished.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #7

Mine from last weekend

(David Pegg) #8

Congrats, a smoker is a must for keto.

Try pork!!! Smoke up some pork! Anything big.

And try lamb shoulder. Easy too

And brisket. A bit less forgiving

(Danielle) #9

I’ve just finished the pork.

I also got the butcher to give me the skin and I made crackling in the oven while the smoker was working it’s magic on the pork shoulder

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #10

How long was your cook?
What rub did you use?

(Danielle) #11

The cook was about 14 hours. I took the internal temp to 200.

I’m new to smoking and am not sure what this means?

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #12

Corrected my autocorrect error. Run=RUB

(Danielle) #13

I used a chipotle BBQ rub I bought. I’m not sure where you are located. I’m in Australia and found this brand a couple of weeks ago and they seem to work well.

And I have just seen from the photo that I took that sugar is an ingredient so I don’t think I’ll be using this one again.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #14

Im in Brisbane. Looks great though.

I think most rubs etc have some level of sugar in them. But i assume its minimal per serve of meat…

(Danielle) #15

Yeah I agree. I didn’t use much and the amount per serve of meat is going to be minimal. I was just disappointed as I thought I had checked the ingredients when I bought it.

Yummers

(Louise ) #17

Will definitely try pork - can’t wait!

(David Pegg) #18

Beautiful pork! What a way to use cheap meat. I’ve got about 4kgs of lamb and pork ready for the smoker for Australia Day. Probably will be getting up around 2am to put it on. It’ll be worth it :slight_smile:

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #19

Or slow cooked lamb for Aussie day!

(Jason) #20

Applewood smoked pork belly cooled in foil then thin sliced and pan fried in duck fat.