Meat or Zero Carb May 2018

(Sondra Rose) #21

No fiber needed. It’s a fallacy.

Read the Fiber Menace.

(Sondra Rose) #22

Not valid! ZC= no plant foods.

(migorstmarseille) #23

What @SondraRose said. ZC means “all animal-sourced foods”, so avocado is not ZC. Nothing wrong with eating it IMHO, but if you really want to see how ZC might affect your physiology, avocados are out.

I’m fully in the Brenda Zorn “there is no Keto rule book” camp. However, I’ve been ZC for a couple months now to see if I can break a year-plus weight stall.

(Karen) #24

Sad day…bye, bye avocado…we’ll miss you. Mwah!

But what about your micobiome? @atomicspacebunny

K

(Monica Piccirillo) #25

Enjoying seeing your daily food memo. Since Saturday, I’ve gone down a pound…slowly everyday a little drop.
Usually:
B: 3 egg omelette with bacon and sour cream
L: 8 oz ground beef
D: 8 oz ground beef and 2 ounces sharp cheddar

Yesterday, I only had 3 eggs for breakfast before work and I was hungry by 11. On work days I eat before breakfast by 7–and I’m not really hungry. I was typically eating around 8:30. Just started volunteering at our Senior Nutrition program this week so my schedule change has changed things up!

(Chris W) #26

If you are worried about it, Collagen also feeds the gut bacteria. Pork Rinds to the rescue :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #27

The old era to modern day dietary revolutionists (guilty):

John Harvey Kellogg (1852–1943) Corn Flakes

Sylvester Graham (1794-1851) Graham Crackers

(puritans, quakers, esq… victorians IN LOVE :heart_eyes: OMG :scream:…lol)

I think Mr. Monastyrsky’s points of “forensic” nutritional dietary conjecture are more about bread (grains) and less about veggies which goes right back to the excessive sugar and carbs (not all “forensically” inclusive? hmmm?) issue to blame the dietary fiber from plants :roll_eyes:! And not to say there are no feasible aspects to his conjecture or suggested methods but…

Some questions to consider (not all encompassing or inclusive):

1. The amount and consumption of Sugar, Grain (differences between milling and baking time of grains and point in time consumed) & Carbs is one thing to consider at a certain point or points in western history with said GI tract bowel issues?
  1. Unlimited access to livestock (offal/ofal) or wild game feeding on chlorophyll rich grass or forage and maybe a little marine life (including the guts to eat myself also) and the ability to ferment (i.e. carnivore)? Maybe some fermented insects (bugs) too?
  1. Would I be eating a lot of lean muscle meats (as source of protein) or mostly fat and ofal/offal i.e. organ meats (practicality)?
  1. Ketosis (if no offal): Leafy Greens/Veggies; Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium et al. axis (hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis - HPA axis or HTPA axis) balance from meat/protein without dietary plant fiber?
  1. Other? (e.g. quality sources of omega 9 & 3’s)

Some References:

1. Meat in the human diet: An anthropological perspective ”…CONCLUSIONS:
    The increased contribution of carbohydrate from grains to the human diet following the agricultural revolution has effectively diluted the protein content of the human diet. Whether current protein intakes are below the ideal is a question now being asked, especially in regard to effects on satiety and rates of obesity. Another issue to bear in mind is that ‘optimal foraging’, which shaped primitive diets, does not apply in the modern era. Today survival does not demand energy-dense, high-fat foods. In fact, it is clear that these foods need to play a reduced role in societies where dietary energy is available in abundance and concomitant energy expenditure is limited. The type of fat in modern diets is distinctly different from that eaten by our forebears. In particular, saturated fat and n-6 PUFA (from seed oils and grains) have increased at the expense of omega-3 fats from fish and red meat. The cardio protective effects of long-chain omega-3 fats and their preferential incorporation into the tissues of the body support the notion that modern diets are deficient in these nutrients.
  1. Fermented meats are good for you and they even taste good, too “…Long before preservative chemicals were introduced into manufacturing, meats and other perishables had to be either salt-cured or fermented in order to preserve them. Both are highly effective at keeping pathogenic bacteria and fungi from growing and eventually spoiling our foods. But fermentation comes with an added bonus. The bacteria contained within helps to reduce the level of those cancer-causing chemicals. The process is quite simple. Several bacterial species regard these carcinogens as toxins and have developed mechanisms to prevent damage. In some cases, the harmful chemical is bound up and immobilized, preventing any possible contact with other cells. In others, enzymes break down the threat into harmless byproducts. The end result is safer for the bacteria and, if we consume the product, for us. …”
  1. Fermentations in World, Food Processing “…1. Fermentations producing textured vegetable protein meat substitutes in legume/cereal mixtures. Examples are Indonesian tempe and ontjom. 2. High salt/savory meat-flavored/amino acid/peptide sauce and paste fermentations. 3. Lactic acid fermentations 4. Alcoholic fermentations. 5. Acetic acid/vinegar fermentations. 6. Alkaline fermentations. 7. Leavened breads. Examples are Western yeast and sour dough breads; Middle East breads. 8. Flat unleavened breads. The above classes of fermented foods are found around the world. The lines between the various classifications are not always distinct. Tempe in class 1 involves a lactic acid fermentation during soaking of the soybeans. Yeast (alcoholic) /lactobacilli (lactic acid) interactions are rather frequent for example in sourdough breads, in primitive beers and wines and in Chinese soy sauce/Japanese shoyu/Japanese miso fermentations (Wood 1985). Nevertheless, Steinkraus (1983a, 1996) has found the above classification useful and a way of predicting what microorganisms may be involved and what chemical, physical and nutritive changes may occur in new unfamiliar fermented foods. The classification also relates well to safety factors found in fermented foods. Fermented foods were originally household and expanded to cottage industry as consumer demand required. …”
  1. WHAT IS LACTO-FERMENTATION?
  1. 10 Fermented Foods That We Would Totally Try, Just Not Right Now, Thanks
  1. Your guide to the difference between fermented foods and probiotics “…Not only that, he says, “The scientific community is all over the diet/gut microbiota/human health connection. Fermented foods contribute a diverse array of microorganisms to the existing gut microbiota and thus have the potential to affect health.” …”

(Lonnie Hedley) #28

HWC in my morning coffee.

4 eggs for lunch.

Dinner is 112 g 73/27 ground beef, 4 eggs, 2 slices bacon. Some type of cheese. Maybe some butter to snack on while cooking the other parts.

(TJ Borden) #29

I love your posts, but sometimes I feel like I either need the cliffs notes (if those are still a thing) or the “for dummies” version. :exploding_head:

(Ron) #30

LOL, i am right there with you. Sometimes it is so far over my head that I can see the vapor trail.:astonished:

Love trying though.:grin:

(Monica Piccirillo) #31

Sounds yum! Love my coffee with hwc—I started drinking it black a few weeks ago…so I would eat food for breakfast.
Today I did 3 eggs for breakfast but found myself hungry again by noon—I’m going back to my 3 egg omelette with bacon and cheese! I just wasn’t getting enough fuel. Testing my theory tomorrow!
Lunch —8 oz hamburger patty with 2 oz cheddar
Dinner—8 oz hamburger and cream cheese
Just finished lunch and I’m satisfied and full.

(Bunny) #32

That’s what happens when we try to manipulate or alter Mother Nature, sequence and alter genomes (DNA) and add man made chemicals to things and creating sterile enviornments (excessive fortification) from birth to death etc.

We start getting real confused and perplexed about how we are killing ourselves, the further we move away from natural occuring things to man made altered things (from the biological to substances and compounds)!

(Karen) #33

158.8 lbs
B:,2 bacon, 3 eggs. Weird how eggs taste a bit sweet
L: 4 oz rib eye, 1" cube Dubliner , Avocado coffee, 4 T HWC
D: 5 oz sirlion, tzatziki, chimichurri

K

(What The Fast?!) #34

Is 158.8 up or down?
Doesn’t tzatziki have cucumber?

(Karen) #35

I’m not worthy!. Yes it does. Another fruit! Yogurt and cucumber. 2 T
Sorry, baby steps here.
Down.

K

(Siobhan) #36

Not zero carb but mostly carnivore (some spices, coffee/tea, very rare non-carnivore food) Since late October. Thinking of cutting out dairy, mostly just because I haven’t been as “into” it lately. I eat based on cravings (which ends up being mostly pork, some chicken/turkey, some lamb/beef). Not really any organ meats so far. Feel fine, simplifies my life, so good enough for me!

I have lost about 15+ pounds but no more than that, which is fine.

(Chris W) #37

Plant based food in very small quantities can fall into the same category as spices, unless you are being really hardcore, or establishing a maximum elimination baseline.

I have about a teaspoon of Cacao Nibs a few times a week and I still call myself ZC :slightly_smiling_face:

Mushrooms are another interesting discussion point since they are neither plants, nor animals…

(Jody) #38

Started Carnivore on 5/1! Here’s to ALL the meats!!

(Karen) #39

Concert tonight. We’re singing 17 pieces. Drinking Throat Coat. Bit lemon.
B: 2 eggs, 2 bacon, coffee, 4, T HWC
L: ,CHUCK WITH MAYO, Dubliner cube
D: Chuck with butter. Bringing cookies for the reception after.
Think I’m short calories

K

(Monica Piccirillo) #40

It looks like you could use more food :yum: sing it tonight!

141.8 this morning. I fixed my 3egg omelette with 35 grams bacon and 56 grams cream cheese—definitely made a difference in being satisfied longer! 8 oz hamburger for lunch, 8 oz burger planned for dinner with cream cheese. I’m using the cream cheese as fat to even out my 93/7 beef. Total protein 130 gram protein.
I realize the freedom of ZC is not counting macros or calories…working my way there…slowly…difficult for a control freak!