Measuring heart rate variability

Ok. Firstly as a non Facebook user I’d like to say a huge thank you for making this forum/It’s about bloody time!

I’ve been an avid listener since last March and have oscillated a little with my keto adherence. During 2015 I lost >35kgs (from 105 to 68) following keto, and I’ve had small periods on and off the diet for most of 2016. I’m starting again today and I’m trying to capture the changes in my heart rate variability due to the diet.

I work for a company that manufactures and designs equipment for scientific studies and thus, I have access to a really nifty portable ecg device that I’ve been wearing. I’ve gathered some baseline data from the last week whilst I’m still in a bit of a carb binge phase and I’m curious as to what will happen as I attempt to transition back into keto.

If this is a topic that anyone finds interesting and if anyone knows about heart rate variability and how to interpret the data I’ll post the reports. I’m hoping that it can be another health variable that is improved by keto, and that I can see measurable results. So wish me luck and good data as I embrace the keto flu!

Keep calm, and. …

I measure HRV with a Polar H7 and the Elite HRV iOS app, but I find that activity/exercise and rest/recovery have far more influence on HRV than any variations in keto.

Since I only started monitoring HRV after I was keto-adapted, I can’t say if my recovery time is any better or worse, but I do feel like I have more energy and recover faster since being keto-adapted.

I’ll be interested to see how you respond.

It’s more the baseline HRV that I’m interested in. The healthier you get, the higher it is. So I’m curious if my baseline will improve over time with keto.

(Tom Seest) #4

I plan on trying Elite HRV.

@tdseest - in order for me to get my Polar H7 working with Elite HRV, I had to install and connect it to the free app from Polar itself.

(Richard Morris) #6

I’m interested in a better HRM. I have an old polar chest strap, but I prefer write based activity trackers (Samsung and Microsoft bands). However it seems that none are yet able to measure HRV.

@richard - I doubt you’ll ever find a wrist band that measures Heart Rate Variability (HRV) because it is measured as the interval between the electrical spikes of the “R” waves in the heart and wrist-based HRM only monitors the pulse and flow of blood through the arteries.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #8

I think it’s great HRV is finally being recognized as a valuable tool to measure cardiac health. As a 20+ year Paramedic we always taught students that sinus arrythmia (basically a normal ecg with no findings other than minor R-R variability,
typically varying with inspiratory phase) - is a normal finding in young patients. What no one ever asked is WHY is it more prevalent in young hearts. Maybe because younger hearts were typically healthier. Happy to be able to quickly assess that at 40-mumble-mumble I can easily assess noting the variability in heart rate checking a peripheral pulse during several normal respirations.