Meal Frequency and Times

newbies

(Scott) #21

As I contemplate going carnivore I think I will move my old gas grill to my office. That would take eating at work to a whole new level.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #22

+1,000 I love my grill and smoker.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #24

Fridge rats! Love the term! SOOOO appropriate to!

(Allie) #25

I normally have set eating windows and if Iā€™m not hungry within that window I wonā€™t eat, like itā€™s very rare for me to eat after 1pm because evenings are for gym and yoga and I prefer to have an empty stomach to do these and like you, eating late causes issues (late for me is 6pm as Iā€™m in bed by about 8pm each night, sleep is another thing Iā€™m very disciplined about). BUT, there are occasions when Iā€™ve been pushing hard in the gym and my body demands extra food so I will have an evening meal, but strictly never after 7pm no matter how hungry I get.

iā€™m wondering what the problem is with eating late also. itā€™s really easy for me to wake up and not eat until 7pm or so, but the thing is, when i was young, my mother would always make me a bedtime snack and unfortunately i carried on with the habit for 30 years. i really have problems sleeping if i donā€™t eat something before i go to bed. i might honestly just try my OMAD meal at night before i sleep and fast the rest of the day. iā€™d be curious if anyone else has tried this.

(Allie) #27

For me, it messes up my sleep and depending what Iā€™ve eaten, I get reflux too. Also my RHR (resting heart rate) is always higher on days where Iā€™ve eaten too late the night before which tells me how much harder my body has had to work to deal with it.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #28

Our bodies are often driven to function differently during daylight and night time. Light receptors in our eyes and brain shift the hormonal responses internally. Pancreas typical slows down after 7 pm, for example. Circadian rhythms have a definite influence on how our bodies respond on the hormonal level and impacts how we process food intake.

(Christina Hansen) #29

If your pancreas slows down after 7 PM, so your insulin response would be sluggish, if youā€™re not eating carbs, what would the problem with eating late be?

(Carolyn aka stokies) #30

Pancreas creates the bile that helps break down the fats in protein and fats. Granted this is my understanding and I could be incorrect of course!

Edit: my bad I was too hasty to reply and mixed things up. But the premise being if organs cycle with our natural rhythms is interesting to further explore.

Thanks for catching that!

(mole person) #31

I know Iā€™ve read the exact opposite; that the insulogenic response to food increases throughout the day and thus gives a reason to eat earlier meals when after weight loss and/or increasing insulin sensitivity.

I canā€™t remember where Iā€™m getting this from though.

@PaulL @juice @CarlKeller, or anyone else know where this nugget is from?

(Christina Hansen) #32

The liver, not the pancreas, produces bile. Iā€™m just curious what the mechanism is that would make eating late so bad. (I tend towards OMAD, with my meal in the evening, sometimes very late due to work.)

(Running from stupidity) #33

I know Jason has discussed this. IIRC, I recall it from the interview with Metabolic Mike, late in the piece. He says the better two meals to have (assuming eating two) are clock-breakfast and clock-lunch, but that he has lunch and dinner because he wants to eat with his family. Itā€™s not optimal in terms of medical, but itā€™s optimal in terms of his life (and staying married, I presume :slight_smile:

Pretty sure it was this one, but If not, watching it (again) is no loss :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXGxoNFag4&list=PL4eehaWP5Cf2PxJnGNDy6n5ObTj_PQ_In&t=0s&index=8

(mole person) #34

Thank you!

Agreed! Fung has yet to be surpassed as my all time favorite.

(Running from stupidity) #35

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

(Carl Keller) #36

Apparently the time of day can affect our hormones and metabolism.

One study found that diet-induced thermogenesis (i.e. the calories that you burn as a result of metabolizing food) is 44-50% higher after a morning (8 AM) meal versus an evening (8 PM) meal, regardless of whether you are on a day shift or a night shift.

Thereā€™s another really good article with a study linked to it I will try to find shortly.

(Allie) #37

This would explain why I kept putting weight on when I tried OMAD with an evening meal but am fine with a morning meal.

(Heather Meyer) #38

Thats me tooā€¦
Life has been simplified since fasting 20 hours per day. I no longer pack a lunch!
saves me an extra 15 minutes for sleeping

(Heather Meyer) #39

So i wonder thenā€¦since weight lifting gives the benefit of increasing BMR post workout and so does HIITā€¦ what were to happen if you did your HIIT or weight lifting at night and then ate a meal after?? Would your BMR and calorie burning increase and off-set the insulin response of your meal even though it was eaten in the PM?

(mole person) #40

This study is interesting. It shows that both glucose response and insulin response to meals is greater in the evening than in the morning.

(Running from stupidity) #41

Yup.

OR ā€¦ you ate too much and didnā€™t exercise Chunk enough. I believe thatā€™s how it ACTUALLY works, based on a combination of kinda remembering my eight-grade physics classes and my magic thinking.