MCT Oil vs Caprylic Acid Tablets

(Failed) #1

If this is in the wrong category, please move it. Thank you.

I’ve been reading about MCT oil wondering if I should start taking it. During my reading I got the impression that it’s the same as caprylic acid. If so, could I just take the tablets that I have already of caprylic acid instead of buying something more?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

They are both from coconut oil but not the same. MCTs are medium chain triglycerides that quickly are converted to ketones without passing through the lymphatic system first as most fats need to before being processed by the liver.

Caprylic Acid and Lauric Acid are saturated fats too but have anti inflammatory properties and different benefits. I am going to guess the Caprylic Acid is processed with some kind of starch or maltodextrin to absorb the oil and make a tablet, unless they come as gel caps. I have never used it. There might be a small carb amount in it. MCT isn’t necessary, it’s like most other fats except the quick processing by the body I mentioned. Coconut oil has MCT in it. If you want it for coffee or salad dressings it’s tasteless and a liquid. It doesn’t solidify from what I know. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

MCT oil is a fine and nearly tasteless oil and can be used like any other oil, although I would not fry with it. You can save a significant amount of money if you purchase ‘liquid coconut oil’ in the grocery store. Same stuff.

(Failed) #4

My apologies, I did not read the label before posting. I thought these were the same thing I had bought years ago for a candida infection. I saw the words Caprylic Acid on the front of the pic on Amazon and bought them.

I just opened the bottle and they are softgels. The label says each one contains 1 mg of MCT oil, containing 600 mg of caprylic acid.

Based on the nutrition information for MCT oil, 14 of these softgels would equal 1 Tbsp MCT oil.

Now Foods MCT oil is 56¢ per Tbsp, 14 of the Now Foods softgels cost $1.09, so the liquid is certainly a better value.

(Failed) #5

Thanks for the head’s up about the coconut oil.