McPlant

(Troy) #1

:nauseated_face:

:running_man:t2:
:toilet:

https://vegnews.com/2021/10/meatless-mcdonalds-mcplant-burger-america

I’ve always found it funny how a vegetarian who doesn’t like meat, is against eating meat, wishes others wouldn’t eat meat, etc., … would then want a sandwich created from plants, and whatever else, that is made to ‘taste’ just like something they are so against? :confused:

Always reminds me of those ‘You won’t believe it’s not butter’ things from years ago. But I guess it might go well with their nearly indestructible ‘Are they actually Fries?’ :crazy_face:

I understand it to some extent. There are vegetarians who love meat (the flavor) just the doctor said they must avoid it…? I heard about such things.

I was a vegetarian out of principles (I still kinda have those but I am poor and selfish and my health and well-being is the first but I do what I can. I never was totally against killing animals, no matter what, it’s not that planet. animals are killed for vegans too anyway and especially for vegetarians). Good pork was the tastiest food for me all the time. I just didn’t eat it and it was perfectly fine (I couldn’t even find proper good pork at that time). Well actually I was a vegetarian to avoid eating chicken every Sunday but I had principles too. I am very much against animal cruelty. And could live without meat just fine.
But that’s not the point here.
I never understood “fake meats”, I definitely didn’t want them. And I still very seriously doubt that anything can be even vaguely similar to meat that isn’t meat. Well okay there is a cracker with pretty nice bacon flavor. But it still has no meat flavor just that smoky something.
When I was a vegetarian, fake meats here were awful (I had to taste it once, after years, I am super curious). I was amazed HOW on earth can they make such a gross thing out of all those tasty plants… :smiley: Even the grain part is better let alone the spices…

I am quite fine with seitan if I want to avoid meat (that I don’t but now I have meat aversion and don’t want eggs either. hard to do carnivore this way but I am a stubborn one. I still do my best not to eat seitan and legumes but those are my plan B)… It’s NOTHING like meat (so great for meat aversion times) and it’s super delicious. Tons of Hungarian paprika can mask even the gluten flavor :smiley: It’s best fried in lard, by the way but I put some into it too. Good lard, not the store-bought stuff. Hey, I am no vegetarian since several years, I can do that :smiley:

But each to their own, I suppose. Vegan fake meat things are often hilarious. My fav is when they try to make extreme low-fat bacon and roasts from fruits…

I am very very sure than a proper vegetarian or vegan is just fine with their zillion different plants even without making meringue from chickpea liquid and making something totally fried egg or salmon egg looking with lots of effort. Though maybe those are hobby things… I would rather eat some proper, honest plants but I have my fun experiments as well. Like making perfectly carnivore cakes :smiley: Well, carnivore-ish, at least. I like my spices and it’s pretty hard with only animal “flour” though I have nice results depending on them.

I am sorry, I will read the article later too.

(Doug) #4

They’d be selling Soylent Green burgers if they thought they could make a go of it.

As should everyone be… toward animals, or anything else for that matter.

It’s similar to how many folks that know me, know that I’m one of the biggest Animal Lovers most will ever meet, but yet, I hunt. :slight_smile: I like to think of it that they too hunt, when they pick out steaks they want to purchase at the store. Just because you didn’t harvest the animal yourself, doesn’t make it better or worse that you can partake in it’s value and consumption. … I, on the other hand, would much rather harvest an animal myself, since I know how the meat was handled throughout, and it’s from a free-roaming animal & not necessarily farmed for simply consumption. I’ve seen my share on that subject.

My point above was that similar to the commercials they run for these ‘meatless’ burgers, and how the actors make it appear that it taste so magnificent, and that they finally can enjoy something with a meat taste, opposed to plants, etc. … And maybe it does, to them? I myself will never know.

:astonished: Um, well… that would surely give a whole new meaning to their ‘Over a “so many” served’ theme they’ve always liked to advertise. :crazy_face:

hey carnivores would do Soylent Green burgers without the bun of course, omg too funny

McPlants are SO out there and now truly getting into mainstream for sure but in the end, no one is gonna change the meat eaters, simple as that.
Oh yea they can try but they won’t succeed, too many of us and too many support the meat industry so… let them eat fake plant whatever stuff and advertise and pay the bucks to promote as ‘meat’ cause meat is what people want in the ‘bitter end of it all’ LOL whatever, I don’t care, bring on the McPlant foods of the world, I know I ain’t going there HA and good parents won’t go there telling and feeding their children good meats who won’t go there and so on…I think in the end of it all we meat eaters are ok tho.

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

Means more meat left for me.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #10

Hmmmm… People really enjoy the taste of meat?

There’s a clue in there somewhere.

some crave it…wee…most do for all those vegans who jumped ship coming this way :scream_cat::crazy_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Arthur C. Clarke wrote a couple of short stories on the theme of synthetic foods. In one, his characters are ashamed to admit that there was even a time when their ancestors were so barbaric as to take the lives of plants for their food. In the other, a food manufacturer comes up with a wildly popular product called Ambrosia Plus, which raises ethical implications because—well, I don’t want to spoil the ending.

(Doug) #13

:grin::smile::sunglasses::+1:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #14

I don’t think this and similar ersatz ‘meat’ products are intended to satisfy the inner carnivore in vegans. They’re aimed at us. “You can pander to your primitive urges without actually killing animals…”

So they’re only a couple years behind BK, since it’s McDonalds though I don’t see the difference. Not like their “normal” burgers are made of meat or anything.

I used to work with a girl that’s a veggie, she used to get the Impossible Whoppers, she insisted I try it, scary enough… not bad! Still tasted better than McBowels “real” meat LOL. If I didn’t know what I was eating, I (may) have not caught it.

I do love that (at least Vegans) talk about how disgusting meat is, then can’t get in line fast enough for crap like this.

No ‘hunters’ pun intended, of course… :smile:

Hmm, no. - I myself personally cannot. Because I don’t have those urges. Sure, I don’t hunt deer for the fun of it, nor out of sheer necessity to provide food for my family, as so many did back in the day. I hunt because I enjoy Venison, first and foremost. There’s no middle-man between me and them, and I see it no different then, say, fishing. Only difference is mainly one is water-based, versus land-based.

It’s also why a lot of archery folks join the two, and simply go Bow-Fishing… I haven’t tried it myself, and honestly probably never will. But I also don’t shoot anything I don’t eat.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

To be perfectly clear my “quote” was a ref to the vegan assertion that eating plants is a more enlightened way. Not my own opinion. Personally, I think veggie/vegans aren’t firing on all cylinders because they’re using low octane fuel.

Oh, I know. I didn’t take it that way. … I just liked the ‘They’re aimed at us’ as a hunter pun. :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

The underlying logic of veganism is that eating meat revs up the sex drive, and that this is a BAD THING. It was Ellen G. White who propounded this view, and perhaps we should not blame her. If you were a woman on the American frontier in the middle of the 19th century, you too might not be all that pleased to have to cope with a bunch of randy frontiersmen.

However, the ethical assertion that veganism is more moral because it avoids taking a life is flawed, because it places the life of one food animal over the lives of the hundreds of animals who suffer or are killed when a field is plowed. Also relevant in this question is whether we have the right to take the lives of the plants we kill for food. Apparently, respect for life goes only so far.

My approach is based on the principles taught by a Delaware man, my aunt’s father-in-law, who preached that it is not disrespectful to kill an animal for food, so long as we (1) treat it properly during its lifetime, (2) kill it humanely, and (3) honour it for its sacrifice. My uncle and his children passed these sentiments on to the rest of the family.

That’s exactly why I placed my own self-opposed rules on myself many years ago. (Such as you and I spoke about recently in private Paul) The first was the ‘I never shooting anything I don’t eat’. But there have been three occasions when I was asked to harvest something for others, when a landowner who was allowing me to hunt his property, asked if I would harvest 1/2 dozen Squirrels for him to eat. To me, it still falls under this rule, since they were indeed harvested for food, and not say just being a nuisance.