Maybe time to make an adjustment

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

Week 5 wasn’t as successful for me. I had lost a little over 8 pounds my first 4 weeks, but week 5 I put back on 2.5.
I know people are going to ask what my macros are, but I haven’t been tracking. Instead I’ve been following meal plans. I did this because I don’t want to have to worry about what was okay to eat and what’s not while I’m learning. So week 1-4 I followed Leanne Vogals classic Keto. I wanted a switch up though because she is dairy free and I love dairy. And her recipies are complex and take a lot of expensive, hard to find ingredients and I knew there was a simpler way to do Keto. So week 5 I switched to a Diet Doctor meal plan. This plan restricts carbs more than Vogal’s but includes dairy. I definitely enjoyed the food more, but I’m not having results. Cloths feel snugger this week too, like I’m bloated. Maybe I need to take out dairy, but I’d like to give it a little longer before I ax that. Did I mention how much I like dairy?

I also tried to introduce IF week 5 by doing 16:8. It felt good doing this, but maybe it was too soon. Yesterday was the only day I couldn’t stick with it and I ate… a lot! It was all Keto but before bed I ate a snack, not because I was hungry but because I really wanted it. 2 squares 90% chocolate dipped in sugar free peanut butter.

So I’m thinking I need to shake it back up. I’m going to eliminate the IF until I know for sure I’m fat adapted. (Hopefully only another week or 2). And I’m going to take the training wheels off and do my own meal planning, which means tracking my food. I just need a little guidance in figuring out exactly what I should be aiming for.

I am 44 female, 5’2”. And as of this morning 135 pounds. I’d like to get in the 120-122 range. Which is definitely doable for my frame. I was also running a lot faster when I was in this range a few years ago, so I want to be there for performance.
Any tips on what my macros should be and what range of calories I should be in? I know, eat to satiety, but I want to make sure I’m not in starvation mode.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

When tracking, how do you account for things like cooking eggs in bacon fat? Surely that ups the fat content

(Leslie) #3

I love dairy too!
This is just a little inflammation

I hope you find this helpful
Keep calm and keto on

(Allan L) #4

A friend of mine also followed the meal plans and didn’t track macro’s. I always felt she ate way too much protein and her weight also stopped at a point in time and finally she gave up.

Using some of the online tools will help you quickly and easily follow your macros. Lazy keto works for some and not for others.

(Jay AM) #5

If you want to calculate out calories, you can use the information below or use this but don’t set it to deficit and do set it to sedentary. Set carbs to 20, protein in the suggested middle range, fat makes up the rest. Going a few hundred calories under this sometimes isn’t going to matter. As long as you use fat to satiety. I’m also putting my general stuff below in case you missed anything from before.

We have a few sayings here, “keep calm, keto on” and “trust the process.” Keto isn’t a quick weight loss diet. It’s a health gaining way of eating with fat loss as a side effect. If the scale is an unhealthy obsession, put it away for a couple of months or give it to a neighbor you don’t like.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.
The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)

*Moderate protein (Moderate means eating different meats and eggs. Preferably meats with their own fat or meats you will add fat to. We aren’t trying to eat protein to be full, we want to add enough fat to our meals to be full with. If you are searching for a number, 1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Do not exercise excessively in an effort to lose weight

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes (Try homemade ketoaide)

(Jay AM) #6

You could say you added a tablespoon of bacon fat. Unless it seems like a lot more.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

There are a whole bunch of resources available on these forums, that a little bit of exploration will lead you to. And don’t forget the search function—it works!