May 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-in thread

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

I am really excited about this month. On the 22nd I will have my one year maintenance anniversary.

It has been an interesting experience for sure. I lose down a bit more, then put a few lbs. back on, but as long as I stay under my goal weight (within 3 lb. of the goal), I am happy. Fasting has been the key for me, IF several days a week, and do some EFs throughout each month. I have grown to love my fasting days. I don’t always go as long as my original goal, but every hour fasting is a win to me.

I am healthier and happier than I have been in a long while. I am also at a weight I was at in my early 30s. I am proud of myself for not throwing in the towel and just going back to eating whatever, whenever. Of course eating so many foods I love helps a lot too. I focus on what I can eat not what I can not. I have also found good substitutes for bread and grains, that helps tons as well.

I hope everyone is having a good day, enjoying our WOE, and enjoying the Spring weather.

This is very inspiring for those of us just entering maintenance. I have been very anxious about this part of the journey, but this thread is helping me realize it IS possible and still delicious! Thank you for sharing your success and the keys to your success!

(Karen Parrott) #3

@collaroygal THANK YOU!! for starting this thread. And congrats on your anniversary.

I rocked April 2018 until the very end. Then in the last week GI virus had my weight up and it really hasn’t really gone down, just up.

The good news is

1**. Fasting really helps 18:6 most days.** I’m ready to get some 3-4 week streaks going or longer. The summer of stress and 16:8 fasting is all mine. LOL.

1. I’ve hit the gym a lot more since my April 2018 dexa scan (except when I was sick). I do feel like I’m getting stronger. NO! I’m not gaining weight due to muscle. Stop it… don’t ever say that to me. That’s a food addicts’ excuse to binge eat. I won’t hear it. I’ve "used " that disease thinking and it doesn’t serve me one bit. Thanks!

2. I will be tightly monitoring total food intake, yes, calories matter to me a lot. Yes I know some high level gurus call this practice terrible names “stupid” “idiot” “don’t understand”. Oh, I understand 100% Um- they don’t have to pay my high insurance premiums so who’s stupid now? I won’t have to go out and buy fat pants at the end May. I will not only be able to wear my size 6’s, but I will also put my fat pants money into my daughter’s college fund. Win-Win. I understand more than any other person.

3. I do what I have to do. And I don’t make any excuses. I’m still keto because I fast**. I do have to cycle through more 1:1 protein fat grams** when I need to lose. Other gurus will outright say “that’s not keto”. REALLY? I heard that on IG live. Person was NOT a weight maintainer, but had regained considerable weight. Nobody can take my keto card away when my blood ketone ranged 0.7 to 1.9 on the ketone meter. KCKO

4. My body will gladly tell me- the following- AKA, be your own guru
    A. Fast 18:6 daily
    B. Adjust macros to fat loss near goal weight
    C. Go to the gym to get a lower body fat percentage
    D. Go to the gym and do home exercise to keep bone matrix.

PS- It dawned on me that I’m wearing a size 4 dress to my kid’s HS graduation next month. I think I wore size 10-12 to my own graduation. I’m have a better body comp at age 52 than at age 18. Yeah! I’ll post photos later.

BE YOUR OWN GURU. Give yourself the gift of weeks and moths to tinker. Onward. KCKO.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Another awesome post Karen. Yes, you are the expert when it comes to your body.
I love that you are bold and study your body.

The genes, the food, the daily habits all effect what goes on, so we all have to learn what works for us. Speaking of genes, I am still diving into that topic. I have learned a lot and I realize how much more I need to learn. I tried to find a genes counselor to help me with all that, but can’t find anyone in my area, so it is me and Google wading through all that.

Congrats on your one year anniversary! What a milestone, especially at our “advanced age” lol. I don’t know about you, but I do NOT feel like a senior citizen!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

I know, and I am healhier/fitter now than when I was much younger too. My brain just doesn’t believe I am past my 30s these days.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Today is the actually anniversary of one year for me. I am 4.2 lbs under my original goal weight.

I am so happy with myself right now. July 2 I will be 69, so don’t let anyone tell you older people can’t loss the weight.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I have posted a thread Start to Finish it has a before shot and an after shot, not the best pics, but at least I am in them and you can tell it really is me, not so far away, covered by other people, etc.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/start-to-finish/42417

Thanks for posting your start to finish photos! Happy anniversary and very excited for the year ahead, too!