Maximize fat loss with weight lifting

fat
weightloss
bodyfat
weight-lifting
bodybuilding

(Abdelilah Karroumi) #1

Hello everyone , I happy to start and share my journey with all of these amazing community , So I first started keto on 14/02/2019 and I ve lost about 5 kg without exercising just my daily routine . But since I comeback to weight lifting after 2 years of experience and a stop for 2 months. the weird thing I noticed that my power has increased and even bypass my maximum weight from the first session with an incredible recovery time . Besides other benefits my sleep decreased and I wake up refreshed , Mental clarity like laser focus and memory improvement .
From the beginning of this journey I keep my food as simple as possible :
-8-20 Eggs per day

• 150g - 200g Ground beef 70/20 perday
    -VERY LITTLE Cheese and nuts ( I remove them a week ago because they cause me bad Acne)
    -50g-100g Butter and Olive oil ( I use them to cook)
    -Magnesium Supplement

About my exercise , I train 3x/Week with regular bodybuilding exercises.

The problem is I am always hungry and I feel like eating a whole beef . So can you please give me some tips and tricks to lose my weight quicker?
My infos :
-20 yr
-168 cm

• 77 kg (I start at 82 kg)
    I really appreciate u all, and I wish u an amazing journey.:innocent:

(Windmill Tilter) #2

This is a really important point most people forget regarding exercise and weight loss. The most effective way to do keto is to eat to satiety. Exercise significantly affects satiety signals, often negatively. It makes you more hungry. Some people’s satiety signals overcompensate dramatically. I am one of them (but not everyone is). The day after I lift weights I eat 3000kcal/day-5000kcal/day. I don’t try to stop this in any way, I still eat to satiety, because that’s rule #1 of keto. If you fight satiety signals, you kick off a hormonal chain of events you have no control over because your metabolism actively begins fighting back to preserve fat.

What works for me is that I lift once per week. When you research this, you find out that you can get 50%-70% of the benefit by lifting once per week, that you get from lifting 3 times per week. This is a massive advantage from a satiety standpoint over the remaining 6 days of the week. You’ve already experienced the reason why this works. You build muscle in your bed, and destroy it in the gym. When you took the extra time off, it didn’t make you weaker, it made you noticeably stronger. It can take well over a weak to fully recover a muscle from an intense session. Lifting 3 times a week will build muscle faster, but it’s not efficient; you start breaking the muscle down again before it’s even finished building from the last workout.

I do the Body by Science workout from Dr. Doug McGuff’s book. I really love it. It’s the strangest workout you’ve ever seen; it’s very intense, but very quick. Basically you do only 5 exercises to complete and utter muscle failure at a very slow cadence. There is only 1 set per exercise per week. The cadence is 5 seconds up, 5 seconds down. It hurts like hell. After 15 minutes, you’re done for the week! It sounds like utter nonsense but it works. Progress will be slower, but you’ll be able to make meaningful muscle and strength gains while still losing fat the other 6 days of the week.

This is what works for me as a 102kg, 41 year old fat guy (I was 120kg 8 weeks ago!), but since you’re younger and slimmer, this may not be the ideal playbook for you or your goals. You might be better served by just a plain traditional cycle of bulk and cut. I really don’t know. I just thought I’d throw it out there as an option if you’re struggling with appetite caused by 3 days/wk of lifting. Other folks may have better ideas.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find the balance that gets you to your goals. KCKO!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Congratulations! The increased power means that your muscles have become fat-adapted. That seems to have happened fairly quickly, so be grateful—many other people take much longer.

As far as the hunger is concerned, you could safely double the amount of meat you are eating. Since you are lifing, you probably want 1.5 - 2.0 g protein/day/kg of lean body mass. Be careful not to restrict your caloric intake; you should eat to satisfy your hunger. You need protein to build muscle (food rich in leucine, isoleucine, and valine will help), and you need calories to feed your workouts. Since you want to keep insulin low, so as to stay catabolic, you don’t want much carbohydrate, so replace those missing calories with fat instead, which has a very minimal insulin response.

(In the absence of dietary carbohydrate, too much protein is not much of a concern. It won’t turn to sugar in your blood or stop your production of ketones; those are hypothesis that have been shown to be inaccurate. The only sign of too much protein to worry about is if people start smelling ammonia on your breath or in your perspiration—but it’s extremely difficult to eat that much protein, lol!)