Massive glucose spike from Sushi rolls

(Heather ) #1

I’ve been on keto pretty much exactly a year give or take a few days. I ate two whole sushi rolls yesterday (normally I get sashimi) and my blood glucose was 208 by the time I got home, ketones never went below .9. This morning my fasting glucose was 95 and then later in the day it went down to 86. Ketones were 1.1. I was shocked by the 208 but since I kind of stayed in ketosis and my blood sugar regulated itself, could that mean I have more metabolic flexibility or is 208 just horrible? It seems like a lot of people that are prominent in the keto world still have the occasional sushi with rice throughout their keto journey.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Did you have good clean hands before testing? Could the 208 have been influenced by something on your fingers?

My son recently tested 186, but then I made him wash his hands and test again and it was around 102 (he had been drinking/handling soda)

(Heather ) #3

Yes, I always wash my hands thoroughly before and then use fresh paper towels and really dry the area well with the paper towels. Sometimes I still have 1.5 or higher on ketones but my blood glucose also spikes. There has been maybe a handful of times where it’s over 130 and not over 200. I ate a bunch of tortilla chips with salsa and margaritas with family one time and it didn’t go over 180. And I notice when I’m very strict my bg is in the 60s, the more vegetables I eat thehigher it goes like 80-120. I had a glass of wine at the airport and it went from 60s to 120 something

(Jo O) #4

Sushi rice is seasoned with sugar, salt and rice wine vinegar.
So it’s not just the carby rice.

Sometimes the LC community is loose with word choice and it can cause confusion. The impact of insulin resistance can be quickly addressed, but it is not rapidly reversed/cured. Adhering to a LC diet will result in lower basal glucose and insulin levels. This puts an immediate halt to the damage that is being done, but it does not fix the damage that has already occurred.

It is appropriate for blood glucose spike in response to food. In metabolically healthy folks, the stimulus causes insulin to be released which then causes blood glucose levels to cascade down rapidly over the subsequent 60 to 120 minutes. By definition, insulin resistant folks have elevated blood glucose levels for a prolonged period of time after the stimulus. The real problem isn’t how high BG rises, its the decay rate.

I can manage my eating and fasting in a manner that results in an A1c = 5.1, which means I’m keeping my basil glucose levels low. But that does not provide comment on my insulin sensitivity. To gain insight on that requires a blood glucose tolerance test. This can be ordered by a physician, but here’s a great article on a DIY version.
https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

I conduct this test on myself every 3-4 months by eating the exact same (high carb) meal and I track my results. I’ve been in a continuous state of ketosis for a couple years. But my OGTT numbers have improved only slightly during this time. My carb threshold has improved a bit also. But I’m not cured. If go back to eating the way I used to eat, all my “results” would quickly disappear.