Mass shootings & 1978 dietary guidlines?

(Doug) #21

There are only about 300 million guns in the U.S. :smile:

My employer is headquartered in the state of West Virginia, and some of the local taverns and pubs regularly hold raffles and drawings for guns. One of my co-workers has won 6 or 7 guns that way.

(Alec) #22

That has made my day!! RAOTFL.

(Candy Lind) #23

Where is this wondrous place? :wink: :rofl:

(Doug) #24

Candy, my co-worker lives in Moundsville, West Virginia - it’s in the northern panhandle of the state, in-between Ohio and Pennsylvania, roughly 10 miles south of Interstate 70. Some drawings/raffles fall under the charitable gaming laws, some (ahem) do not, I’m guessing. In the main, I think it’s a money-making deal for the bar owners - there are always tip boards, drawings going on, etc. Even stuff like buying a $10 piece of meat at the store, then selling 20 tickets at $1 apiece with one ticket the winner. People love to gamble…

(LeeAnn Brooks) #25

Since the Atkins diet was developed in the 1960’s and the trajectory for popularity of low carb diets would probably follow a similar trajectory, one could try to draw the same correlation between low carb diets popularity and mass shootings.

Thus the danger of confusing correlation with causation.

(Bunny) #26

SAD DIET & AGGRESSIVE SOCIAL BEHAVIOR - LINKS IN BIO-NEURO-PATHOLOGY:

Glutamate & GABA (glutamine) Ratios & Social Behavior?

1. "Keto Brain Hack" Ketogenic Diet Effects on the Brain (Dr. Perlmutter/D’Agostino)“…Ketone research has shown that the process of using ketones as fuel in the brain promotes pathways in which glutamate is converted to glutamine, which is a substrate for the production of GABA, the most prominent inhibitory neurotransmitter of the central nervous system. In short, the use of ketones in the brain, takes the detrimental byproducts of glucose that hinder cognition, and turns it into a neurotransmitter that promotes focus and heightened cognition. …More
  1. Brain levels of GABA, glutamate and aspartate in sociable, aggressive and timid mice: an in vivo microdialysis study. Abstract, OBJECTIVES: Some individually-housed male mice behave aggressively during encounters with strange males, while others are timid or sociable in the same situation. The objective of the present study was to examine concentrations of glutamate, aspartate, and GABA in the brain of aggressive, timid, and sociable mice. CONCLUSION: The present results suggest that GABA might play a role in sociable behavior. Results also corroborate other findings indicating that the GABAergic system represents an important molecular and neuronal substrate for the selective attenuation of anxiety and aggression. …” .…More
  1. The Role of Serotonin and Glutamine in Aggression “…Glutamine and aggression: Glutamic acid is an amino acid that is converted to glutamine. Glutamine also gets reconverted to glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is also a precursor to GABA, a critical neurotransmitter that plays an integral role in regulating emotions. The glutamate neurotransmitter helps support the central nervous system. The proper functioning of this transmitter is critical to keep away depression, enhance mood, and increase mental alertness. A recent study, however, suggests that glutamate may also have a role to play in triggering aggressive behavior in individuals.
    In this study conducted on laboratory mice, it was found that injecting glutamate in the brains of the animals raised their levels of aggression towards other mice when provoked. The degree of aggression displayed was proportional to the dosage of the glutamate. What is more, scientists also discovered that the mice brains released more glutamate when they displayed aggressive behavior. The results may not seem very surprising because excess glutamate in the body has been positively linked to anxiety, mood swings, hyperactivity, and confusion that may trigger aggression in some individuals. In another study carried out on two groups of children, one with autism and the other healthy, it was discovered that the *autistic children had higher levels of glutamate but decreased glutamine in their systems compared to their healthier peers+. These were the two most significant genetic-level differences between the autistic and healthy children. Aggression is a common characteristic of autism. The above findings have prompted researchers to explore clinical treatment methods that target the levels of glutamate and glutamine to control aggression in autistic children. …”…More
  1. Dr. Royal Lee, Conversations in Nutrition - Volume One - Glutamine

(Ken) #27

Yeah, our Gun Culture came in handy about 242 years ago.

(Ken) #28

Are you including Chicago?

(Meeping up the Science!) #29

A positive correlation, that is, two data types going in the same direction (up or down), shows a relationship and not causation.

The problem with positive correlations, as any researcher will tell you, is that there are literally thousands of positive correlations that coincide with the mass shootings. The reasons that mass shootings occur are exceptionally complex and involve many issues. There is no simple answer, and we literally don’t even research why this happens much. And, actually a better predictor of violence in an area is not dietary consumption, but how much lithium is in your drinking water. So, again, it’s quite complex.

The best way to get answers? We need more research, done by both the CDC as well as the private sector, into why they occur. Without more research any guesses are shooting in the dark at targets that may or may not be accurately pointed at. Don’t get me wrong - I find them utterly abhorrent and believe we need a solution.

(Alec) #30

War of independence? Sorry, my American history knowledge is poor.

I am glad the americans broke free from the British imperialist yoke. If they hadn’t we would never have got… blimey, I am trying to think of something from American culture that I really treasure… struggling!

:joy::joy:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #31

Could be. Look at the number of people on the forum who have been cured of depression on Keto.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #32

I understand what you are saying, but America has a lot of problems other than mass shootings. Divorces, dysfunctional families, bad parenting. Those, combined with bad diets, could contribute.

The fact that well over 95% of domestic terrorist mass shooters are male is relevant and reflective of certain socialization factors that have needed addressing every since before the first school shooting (Columbine).

I think we need to name the problem: male violence.

Lots of walking ticking time bombs and lost boys in America as far as I can tell, with a copycat acting out every few days. It’s really catestrophic.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #34

I don’t think enough parents are engaged. Sorry, but I’ve seen both sides of parenting, and the results are, for the most part, as expected.

Indeed, it’s a social health disaster. It was around the time of the Columbine shooting that the psychotropic drugging of kids really took off in the U.S. - tons of behavioral mod drugs along with anti-depressants. We’ve got around 14 million kids on those extremely serious prescriptions - and the prescriptions don’t seem to be “helping” all that much. They are dealing with symptoms, not the cause of the symptoms :frowning:

Pre-industrial indigenous cultures had mentorship/training processes to ensure all-levels maturation of youths before new generations came forth. Modern American consumer society has been called a ‘pre-adolescent’ culture for a reason - many adults never really grow up before reproducing. In addition, statistics show we’re ‘a culture of addiction’ - spreading worldwide in urban centers.

Making babies is very very serious thing - because to truly parent requires personal maturity along with healthy extended family/community on top of other basics like safe housing and quality food. Add to that fact that boys are (since very early childhood) rewarded for dominance/brute force/apathy and girls for subordination/social service/empathy - it’s a bad setup for so many vicious cycles.

Unparented kids without real, time-invested and lovingly engaged bonds with at least one primary caregiver are at high risk of a couple of things. The thing that really gets me is how often the first thing that comes out of the mouths of parents of these violent boys who are mass shooters - vast majority of them white middle class - is “we’re a normal family” or some such. Well then, the version of what’s “normal” is really messed up!

America’s “normal” was over with the first massacre of Native Americans quite frankly, it just got worse from there, with human trafficking of enslaved Africans, and on and on to the Columbine school shooting in the 90s which was a wake up call that wasn’t heeded.

There are DEFINTELY ways to create positive change even within existing gun laws (and, today’s killer didn’t even use an AR) - but there’s a reason America isn’t known across europe for our social health programs, nationalized healthcare, housing-for-all, and free university, etc. - we don’t have any, or that which we have isn’t accessible or comprehensive, etc.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

Chicago is included in mass shooting statistics, though most of the violence is confined to a few neighborhoods and one on one shootings. Of course, when the kids in those neighborhoods march for their lives, it’s to and from school on a daily basis.

But honestly, folks have many uninformed opinions about the violence in my city and they probably should stop talking.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #37

In point of fact, Charles Whitman was the first mass school shooter, several years before the Columbine kids were born.

1979- Cleveland Elementary School, San Diego. Inspiration for “I Don’t Like Mondays”.

In other point of fact, Columbine was the first school shooting that America paid attention to, after University of Texas, even though there were several between them.

Thanks for the extra facts -

I was specifically thinking of kids killing their own peers in a mass shooting, usual adult male violence at younger age thing. Kids killing kids is an indicator of cultural collapse. And Columbine was the first of that kind.

(Ken) #39

The “Tie that Binds” American Culture, and what is constantly under attack culturally as well as politically, is our Constitution. To codify the concepts of Individual Freedom and Equality, as well as understanding that governments historically always get larger and more oppressive was truly revolutionary at the time.

Constitutionally, American citizens are guaranteed the Rights to “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”. These concepts have been under attack since our founding. Does anyone seriously believe that any of these mass murderers believed that their victims were their equals and had the Rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness? Of course not. They believed that they were entitled to the very lives of their victims. These psychopaths possess collectivist, victim ideology that is contrary to not only American ideology, but also traditional masculine ideology as well. These are the very things intentionally under attack in America today.

It’s no surprise that many non Americans are ignorant of these basic facts, as globalist totalitarianism is on the march accross the world, and is philosophically supported by the international press. In Europe, and many other places, the only example of American news is CNN International, which only presents a highly distorted, leftist view of America.

(Alec) #40

Blimey… I was just havin’ a larf!!

I think I will withdraw from this discussion gracefully, far too heavy for me.

I’ll go and have some bacon. :smile::smile: